Anyone have any at home remedies for sinus infections?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saline and lots of rest. You need something to think the mucous.

If you have a fever, see a medical provider.

I've been using bottled water for about 10 years in my neli-med, the squeeze version and 2 packs of the saline. Is bottled water a safe option? I think about the nagleri everytime I use mine. Scary stuff.
Hey Rob;

I've never heard of a case of Nagleria from bottled water. The thing to bear in mind with that nasty little fellow is that it can't thrive just anywhere. It is almost unknown in wells. Totally unknown in a properly constructed well. Nagleria is spread through bird feces, that limits it's area of operations seriously. Pretty much a creature of warm surface waters. Ponds and lakes are where it is primarily found, usually in warm water climates. The good news is that it is highly susceptible to pretty much every method of disinfection. Water bottlers are usually using two or three layers of disinfection. I've known of a case or two where bottled water had a chemical (benzene) in it. I know of no cases where bottled water had a biological contaminant. That includes the ones that are really hard to kill like Cryptosporidium and Giardia. I would feel safe using bottled water as a nasal rinse.

Jim

It reduces loss of the measured water and reduces contamination from the surrounding air. It's what I would do, if I needed sterile saline and didn't just go buy it.
I'm concerned with boiling with a lid on. It can cause issues.

Three fingers of Old Grand Dad and a pound of prunes.

1. Eat prunes.
  2. Sit on toilet.
  3. Drink whisky while you wait.

Actually this could be rather enjoyable. Sometimes I would sit on the toilet so long my a$$ would go numb, but I prefer the toilets at work. You can clog them and when you flush them they sound like a wildcat.

Actually this could be rather enjoyable. Sometimes I would sit on the toilet so long my a$$ would go numb, but I prefer the toilets at work. You cant clog them and when you flush them they sound like a wildcat.Not only that you are doing your business on company time. Sometimes if I know I have to go I'll hold it and wait until I get to work just so I can get paid for my time.

Geez, I thought you meant something to do with microbes.

With something in the pot that will foam up, it's possible. If the lid is tight and pressure builds before it lets go, mmmaybe. I've been bringing pots of plain water to the boil with lids on my whole life and have never seen this or heard of it. I'm filing this with fan death.

Try it the next time you're getting ready to cook some pasta; the water will be ready a lot quicker.

Geez, I thought you meant something to do with microbes.

With something in the pot that will foam up, it's possible. If the lid is tight and pressure builds before it lets go, mmmaybe. I've been bringing pots of plain water to the boil with lids on my whole life and have never seen this or heard of it. I'm filing this with fan death.

Try it the next time you're getting ready to cook some pasta; the water will be ready a lot quicker.
Adding salt to the water does that.

Adding salt to the water does that.

Yeah... not buying that either. In our family you get yelled at for wasting energy for trying to boil anything *without* a lid (I still do because sometimes I'm too lazy to go get a lid). My only guess is that you met someone with really poorly designed, tight-fitting lids. Anything designed for the stove top should not be a problem. Worst case is that something boils over and makes a mess, but that's really only a problem for gravy, stew, and stuff that's a lot thicker than a pot of water.

Does anyone have any tips for getting an ear unclogged from a sinus infection? Ear drops and nasal saline spray has not helped get anything to drain out of the middle ear. I can feel fluid and pressure backed up. I'm really dreading going back to work and flying somewhere tomorrow night. I might even have to call off so I don't injure it.

Does anyone have any tips for getting an ear unclogged from a sinus infection? Ear drops and nasal saline spray has not helped get anything to drain out of the middle ear. I can feel fluid and pressure backed up. I'm really dreading going back to work and flying somewhere tomorrow night. I might even have to call off so I don't injure it.
Hi Nate;

I used to travel in and out of the mountains a lot, so I have a little experience. Try to yawn with your mouth as wide open as possible. Another method is to close your eyes, close your nostrils by pinching your nose shut, and exhale against your closed mouth. Chewing gum has been known to work. I try to always have some cough drops when I am going to change altitudes significantly. The aromatic decongestant will frequently open it up. The problem is usually caused by blockage in the Eustachian tube that connects the middle ear to the throat. It's supposed to be our built-in pressure relief valve.

Jim

Jim Hinton's suggestions are good. I would definitely try them. As a SCUBA diver we called the trick of pinching your nose and exhaling with your mouth closed as "the squeeze." It works. But, just in case you haven't tried this, done this way, try getting a little rubbing alcohol (warmed a bit feels better) and pour it into the plugged up ear while laying on the floor with that ear facing UP. Let it sit for a minute or two and then roll over so that ear faces DOWN (you'll want a towel or wash cloth under your ear at this point) and then lay that way for several minutes so that gravity can help it drain. Sometimes I have had to repeat this a couple of times to get the effect that I wanted, but it has usually worked. The key, I think, is that rubbing alcohol is a bit thinner than some other fluids and flow in, and drains out, better without getting "stuck" because of surface tension inside the ear.

If altitude and therefore air pressure is the issue then the suggestions above are fine. If there's fluid from an ear infection they probably won't help; time is the only remedy I know of for this, but there's something that might be worth a try.

I used to get water in my ears a lot after swimming. That's common enough to be called swimmer's ear. Tip you head so the effected ear is up, put in a few drops of rubbing alcohol, wait about 30 second, then straighten up. The alcohol will run out and usually takes the water with it. Will it help with the fluid from an infection? I couldn't say, but I bet it won't do any harm.

And adding salt to the water will make it take ever so slightly longer to boil, not help it boil faster, because it raises the boiling point.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure the blockage is in my eustachian tube. I have tried the valsalva maneuver and alcohol without any relief either. I think at this point time and antibiotics might be in order.

We did end up flying tonight, right after shift change. Our pilot kept us around 700' AGL, so we avoided a major pressure change. I didn't have any additional issues, so I think I will be okay until this clears up on its own.

Hi you could save some bucks and try inhaling olbas oils through steam inhalation or like me you could try the sinusoothe nose spray. I had an sinus infection for twe;ve years and it was hell on this earth, One bottle of the nose spray cured me. It's not cheap for a bottle but it saved me fortunes in the long run.

I get them frequently and I'm sick of spending hundreds of dollars on antibiotics. They are going to do any MRI/CT scan to look for polyps.

I won't use those saline rinses you can get the brain eating amoeba from those..

Anyone have any cures? Suggestions?

Just make sure you use distilled water and you’ll have no problems.

Back