Quantcast

Anyone flown an Estes Big Daddy on 38MM hardware?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Donnager

Reaction score
😳 120 G’s !!!!
The sim says 153g's on an H999 at current weight, with all the asterisks that I can put there. I expect with the changes required to run that motor, It will be a little heavier to hold ejection hardware unless I rebuild it, so I'd expect the upgraded one to be slower.

It took me about 10-12 months to move from a 29mm Big Daddy on big G's to a 38mm on a baby H, finally going to a full H. I expect it will take me at least that much time to go to the next level. I've got other rockets to fly, but this one is kind of cool, and it will probably stay at least a back burner project.

If I can get one to live on a full I or baby J with the Estes body tube and nose with wood fins and without external fiberglass, it would be pretty cool. I'll probably keep the stock paint jobs and decals on the future builds.

And, if I can only say I flew my Big Daddy on H's, that's OK.

rocketace

Reaction score
The sim says 153g's on an H999 at current weight
I have noticed that with sims (more so RockSim), after 100Gs it starts to exaggerates. I have a small one that sims at 170G with the H669 and it only got too 99.3G. Next flight with that rocket on an H999 sims to 230Gs, but I don't think it will go above 150Gs. But with my Raven V4 maxing out at 105Gs I will not be able to get an accurate reading. All none Warp 9 flights with this rocket have been +/- 2 Gs from the sims.

One thing I noticed is that the burn time on my last H669 looked like 0.4 seconds, which could explain the lower Gs.

Philip Tiberius D.

Old Fashioned 2.5oz Rye/H2O 8 drops Orange Bitters
Reaction score
I have noticed that with sims (more so RockSim), after 100Gs it starts to exaggerates. I have a small one that sims at 170G with the H669 and it only got too 99.3G. Next flight with that rocket on an H999 sims to 230Gs, but I don't think it will go above 150Gs. But with my Raven V4 maxing out at 105Gs I will not be able to get an accurate reading. All none Warp 9 flights with this rocket have been +/- 2 Gs from the sims.

One thing I noticed is that the burn time on my last H669 looked like 0.4 seconds, which could explain the lower Gs.
I would imagine - after pulling 100G’s It’s all Academic...

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Big Daddys going big. BTW I used about six ounces of nose weight on Angry Daddy to balance it where a stock Daddy balances with a D12-3; just slightly in front of the leading edge of the fins at the root.

SDramstad

Reaction score
What are the dimensions of a stock Big Daddy body tube?

Donnager

Reaction score

I agree. The sims I've looked at for mine seem aggressive. But, If you look at thrust to weight, it seems the sims might be conservative, though altitudes seem to disagree with this. Whenever I have the guts to put more electronics in the ride, I'll try to see which is closer to accurate. I expect 40-80G on an H-550 and around 110-140 on an H999. We'll see.

Big Daddys going big. BTW I used about six ounces of nose weight on Angry Daddy to balance it where a stock Daddy balances with a D12-3; just slightly in front of the leading edge of the fins at the root.

When I switch from a 38mm short H DMS to a full I, the nose weight will decrease, due to motor mass being in front of the CP. If the Angry Daddy was a 54mm, the weights will change, especially if the fin can is built light.

Cool video. Part of my inspiration to build the current 38mm. I'll build another.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Due to the 1/8" fiberglass fins I used, the Angry Daddy started out relatively tail-heavy. Using a two-grain 54mm motor, a decent percentage of motor weight is ahead of the target CG, so that helps some. Point being though, using the stock CG location will keep the rocket stable at least to around Mach 1.

Donnager

Reaction score
Due to the 1/8" fiberglass fins I used, the Angry Daddy started out relatively tail-heavy. Using a two-grain 54mm motor, a decent percentage of motor weight is ahead of the target CG, so that helps some. Point being though, using the stock CG location will keep the rocket stable at least to around Mach 1.
What does the Angry Daddy weigh?

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
Angry Daddy weighs just over 25 ounces with all recovery gear. Add a small amount for the chute release and T3 GPS.
1023200833.jpg