Anyone ever upscale Estes Interceptor decals? Need some for a BT-60 tube.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
I'm working on an scratchbuild and was thinking that some of the decals from the Estes Interceptor would compliment the rocket. I have found an .eps scan of the Interceptor decals, but I don't have any software that will work with that format. Best I can do is import another format into say Word or Open Office and resize them, then copy to Windows Paint to further move around/arrange the decal printout sheet.

Many of the fuselage decals if upscaled would probably work, and perhaps some of the wing decals as well.

The other issue is that while I have white decal paper and can probably print them out okay, there is that pesky white border, which even though I plan to paint the rocket white, isn't a very close match color-wise. The decal paper is Micromark paper and its got a slight cream tinge to it, not pure white. Obtaining clear decal paper takes care of that concern, but then as I don't have a printer that prints white, the resulting decals will be opaque. :(

Anyone ever tackle this or a similar project? Not sure what to do, open to suggestions.

It’s not the least expensive option but Stickershock has the Estes Interceptor decals for a range of body tube sizes - BT-60 thru 5.5”.

It’s not the least expensive option but Stickershock has the Estes Interceptor decals for a range of body tube sizes - BT-60 thru 5.5”.

Yes, he is an option. :) I wanted to do this on the cheap, but I have a few things to do first. A) fly the rocket a couple times to ensure its stable and won't crash, b) find an copy I can use and then upscale/print out and cut out to see where the decals will work ok, then I can consider Stickershock if I haven't figured anything else out. :)

If you have a scan of the original decals, you can try to scale them yourself and print them on decal paper (color laser or color inkjet, clear background or white background)

At BT60 size that could work but I'd still go with Stickershock since they've already done the scaling for you and they're vinyl so they'll hold up better. Much easier to apply as well.

If the rocket is painted white, then you print your decals on clear paper and everything should be fine. Not sure what the problem is there.

If the rocket is painted white, then you print your decals on clear paper and everything should be fine. Not sure what the problem is there.

The problem Neil is, that if you print the decals on clear decal paper, unless you have a printer that can back print the colored areas white, the resulting decals tend to be opaque, not solid colors.

Using white decal paper results in decals in which the decal papers "white" color doesn't match the color of the rocket even though it is also "white". :(

The problem Neil is, that if you print the decals on clear decal paper, unless you have a printer that can back print the colored areas white, the resulting decals tend to be opaque, not solid colors.
I don't think you mean "opaque", more likely "translucent".

In any case, when I've printed inkjet on clear paper, I've been pleased with the results. At some point, you can only do what you can do with the available technology.

Yes, for some reason I was using "opaque" when I meant "transparent". Duh. :)

I'm probably going to have to see if I can get some clear decal paper and try and see how the decals go. Medium-term project, as I want to fly the rocket a couple times to make sure its stable and I don't have to change anything.

Back