Anyone else not give a DAMN about the NFL this year?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have the right to kneel during the National Anthem. If you do, I will exercise *my* right to turn the TV off. NBA has some hard choices to make as well.

Personally, I've been watching footy when I can catch it, they're in finals now. Footy - Aussie Rules Football.

The wife loves, me, and brags about me.. Never got into any televised sports. (and really don't care for hockey in the slightest!! and I'm from Montreal!)

I get the knee thing. I also get the reasons to hate it.

Even growing up, we never watched televised sports. Mum & dad were never into it..

No, my biggest frustration with televised sports is that they always go longer than expected, and 'need to pre-empt' whatever show it's running into. We're older now, and have ump-teen channels to switch to, I remember being younger, with only 5 or so channels to watch, our Sunday evening ritual of 'Disney world' was routinely interrupted by this. Worst was when it finally ended, an they just dumped you into the show that's been running for the past 20 minutes.. I think that makes me resent it more..

Never was a football person. Big baseball fan though. GO DODGERS

Stopped watching after they railroaded Brady. And that is a big deal considering I was a Raiders fan bitter for life over the tuck rule.

I'm not much of a sports fan. Never have been. The kneeling... It's real nice of them to kneel. It takes so much effort to do that. Look at how much the world has changed because they kneel. It's amazing what one gratuitous no cost effort by some of the most important people in society can accomplish . <cough>

I watch NFL every Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Whatever day. and miss the season when it's not on. Their politics, kneeling, Overpaid Prim Donna's, religious beliefs, etc. is all on them not me. I agree and disagree with a lot of it but It's entertaining and Fantasy Football is fun to play and so is some other Gambling aspects that I enjoy and those guys DO work their assess off for a very short career that not all of us have the God given talent they posses to do and that could end any second.

I used to be a huge Chicago Bears fan back in the 1980's.... then started to lose interest.

Once Kaepernick convinced the league to include knee pads and shoulder pads that sealed the deal for me. Now I'm a #TheNFLSucks guy.

I’ve been an avid football fan for decades. But to be honest I could give a rat’s behind about the NFL the past few years. Too much about the Almighty Dollar and little to no regard for the fans. They would do us all a favor and just play the game and leave their greed and agenda off the field. I guess the upside to it, is more time to build and launch rockets 👍

Ain't no more live and let live!! Now it's my way or the highway!! I wonder were everybody is getting that from.

I am not only fed up with the NFL, but with ALL other professional sports ( MLB, NBA, NASCAR, etc, etc, etc ) after they decided they had become "woke". I am a very political person, but I don't watch sports to see "political statements" being made by overpaid "cry-babies". I watch sports to unwind, chill out, and escape from the "BS" going on in the 21st Century.

As far as I am concerned. ALL "professional sports" can cease to exist. Many people I know are organizing widespread boycotts against the Sponsors of professional sports ( Anheuser-Busch, for one example ) . . . The only way to "leverage" professional sports is to make their Sponsors "unhappy" and to let them know precisely WHY they are being boycotted . . . The Sponsors are where the "real money" comes from in professional sports !

Let the "whiners" and "cry-babies" have to go out and find "real jobs" . . . Guaranteed it will be a HUGE "pay cut" for them !

Dave F.

Real simple. If you don't like the corporatism, physical abuse, holier than thou from millionaires, kneeling, etc, etc, etc. Then don't watch. If you don't care and like football, watch it. It's amazing how everything has to become "an issue" and a debate.

It is our AFL Grand Final this weekend. I really don't care. My team missed out a couple of weeks back unfortunately. We actually have not won a grand final since 1966.

Did I mention that the whole State gets a public holiday due to the Grand Final :p. Luckily restrictions have just eased here and we can travel up to 25km from home and work currently.

Adding further to the sweetness of this weekend is that the company I work for has given everyone (16500 people) a day off, paid, as a thankyou due to the performance of the company during the covid pandemic. That's Monday, so we get a four-day weekend. We were forced to take two weeks compulsory paid leave earlier, but it is nice for them to say thankyou this way. Our competitors are not faring so well.

Last edited:
Don't care this year, but that doesn't make it different from any other year. I have better things to do than watch people play a game.

That said, even if people involved in something you like have opinions you find odious, you're better off ignoring it. Letting that stuff get to you just prevents you from enjoying things.

I used to get a kick out of 'pro sports' and their sponsors..

for a loong while (until the mid 90's I believe) many were sponsored by cigarette companies. Never understood that.. How many players actually benefited from a sponsor like that? Golf, I felt, was the only sport where the players "could" smoke, and it not affect their game..

I heard (humorously) that training for the Mexico Olympics involved smoking, or at least running behind a diesel truck in need of a tune-up...

used to be a football junkie. something about employees protesting while on the clock and their employers allowing it turned me off
As a young man after getting out of the service and finishing my first stint of higher education in college, I got a job as a regional sales rep for a national company. The job consisted of me running my sales route over a 3 state territory out of my small warehouse office and Ford Econoline E250 van.

My boss noticed I had a Jimmy Carter bumper sticker on my van. I rarely saw him, which was the beauty of my job, I was pretty much on my own running my business as I saw fit, which tied in nicely to my ultimate goal of owning my own enterprise.

He told me. "Pat, I thought you were smarter than that. It's your van, you own it, and although you represent the company, I cannot tell you what to put on your vehicle. And I'm not telling you I don't like the political party you are representing, what I AM asking you is, why are you risking antagonizing half of your customer base"?

I mumbled something about how I didn't think the other guy was much of leader, and couldn't even walk off Air Force 1 without taking a fall and all, and we ended the conversation.

The very next week, I was in Oklahoma, and I lost a sizeable client over that bumper sticker. I discovered decades ago the term, "Get Woke, go Broke.

The Peanut Farmers endorsement got removed.

To this day I cannot understand why people think mixing politics with their business is a smart thing to do. Especially entertainers. And certainly ones who work for someone else who think it is ok to demonstrate whatever their belief is on the time of their employer, or their customer. I found out in a hurry that the customer I lost did not NEED me, I needed him. And there are football franchise owners figuring out that they are competing with other interests and losing business over this social warrior virtue signaling bull sheet. I noticed the NBA is finally waking up, saying no more come next season.

Maybe then folks like me who find it painful to see disrespect to our country as acceptable business practice may come back. For me personally, I doubt it. I have better things to do with my time and my money.

Real simple. If you don't like the corporatism, physical abuse, holier than thou from millionaires, kneeling, etc, etc, etc. Then don't watch. If you don't care and like football, watch it. It's amazing how everything has to become "an issue" and a debate.

With all due respect it is in no way "Real Simple" for those who fought for our country or for their relatives. For me personally I have relatives buried in the ground that died fighting for their country and other relatives who carry the scars of battle with them every minute of every day.

The principal "symbols" of our country are the flag and the National Anthem, and when I see people disrespecting those, well... if that doesn't become an issue for you, I guess that says a lot about you.

Not to mention those palatial stadiums they play in are paid for, in part, by the taxpayers of the cities and states. So "just not watching it" doesn't account for your money that's already been spent.

That's my take anyway.

1968 - John Crouse Eulogy.jpg

The question we should all ask is "why are corporations taking political stances?

A wise man said about Facebook, if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you're the product. That applies here too. When you're watching TV, you're obviously not the customer.

Even though I'm broadly sympathetic to addressing the injustices experienced by African Americans, I'm enormously suspicious of all this corporate social signalling. When you see the CEOs of Google, Chase Manhattan, Disney, etc. and the presidents of all the major universities singing the same tune, you should ask why.

The answer is obviously neither love of America in general, or the African American specifically. Let's be honest, the powerful love nobody but their own.

The whole point of all this corporate virtue signalling is simple: to exploit our natural sympathy for the oppressed to generate more ad views and get us to buy more overpriced useless stuff.

In the final analysis, no Americans, African or not, will benefit one bit from all this corporate virtue signalling. Americans, African and otherwise, will be exploited to watch more ads and click more apps, we will become poorer, and the CEO of FaceSachsVardZon will go off to buy to a second helipad for their third yacht.

Back