Anyone Else Lose an Estes MR7 LES?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta-IV

Reaction score
Some time ago (4/5/08), I lost my Estes Mercury Redstone LES tower in a severe weathercock ascent. I contacted Estes but they had no spare parts available and I refused to fly the MR naked. So I quickly built a bass wood equivalent. See first photo.

I have had many good flights with the semi-scale LES (14), but the LES has always bothered me, almost feeling embarrassed to be honest. Now that I have a 3D printer for my small business I finally found the time to squeeze in that re-build I always wanted to do. See second picture. Its a 5 piece part, Rocket motor with spike, tower, and the 3 motor nozzles. The tower rails and aero cover above the capsule is one piece.

I will launch it this Saturday for it's maiden flight (my MR7's #33). If the flight goes well and the LES survives (it should its made of ABS plastic) I will offer to make more to others out there who may have lost their's along the way as well. Please don't fly it naked :wink:

MR7 Pre-Flt #32.jpg

Re-Build LES 3D Printer.jpg

Last edited:
The ABS and support material runs about $7 per cubic inch to build. I'll update this post later today after I get back home for the actual usage.

Yes, it can be done in other sizes also, as my build chamber is limited to 5 by 5 by 5 inches, possible additional pieces may need to be done for larger LES's.

Any ideas for an Apollo Escape Tower ?

The Apollo LES would be an easier build, so yes it can be done. The cost would depend on the scale, but the Semroc 1B (Apogee Components) would be similar cost as the Estes MR LES.

The Estes 18mm LES can be built for $19.95 plus shipping.

Back