Anyone buying or upgrading to iPhone 7?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkadams001

Reaction score
I have seen a few folks with the new iPhone 7 and was wondering if anyone here has bought one or upgraded?

Not planning on it now. Still running a five that suits my needs just fine.

My wife got hers Friday. It's pretty nice. Some novel new features, but nothing too major. The new home button is pretty neat with the "Taptic" feedback.

I have a Note 3 that I've always liked but is on it's last leg...
I was going to look into a Note 7 ,,,
WAS being the operative word in that sentence,, till I saw a pic of a late model Jeep burning in a thread here on TRF...
I am now considering a I phone 7 and will keep a read on this thread ...

I don't really think a great deal of negative feedback has been around much for apple devices though,,, no ???

Teddy

I have a Note 3 that I've always liked but is on it's last leg...
I was going to look into a Note 7 ,,,
WAS being the operative word in that sentence,, till I saw a pic of a late model Jeep burning in a thread here on TRF...
I am now considering a I phone 7 and will keep a read on this thread ...

I don't really think a great deal of negative feedback has been around much for apple devices though,,, no ???

Teddy

Jumping from Android to Apple just because the early production Samsung N7s are torches is a bit extreme. Samsung already seems to have the situation corrected, but if you want to avoid Samsung for a while, look at recent offerings from LG, HTC, and similar manufacturers. I exited Samsung a year or so ago, because for my purposes there were better values to be had. You might consider a G5. I personally use an LG G3. Love it, no need for me to upgrade.

Also see here:
https://www.androidcentral.com/what-buy-if-youre-returning-galaxy-note-7

Android vs Apple of course is almost a religious war for some people... I have a work iPhone and would never consider a personal iPhone. My wife has an iPhone and though it annoys her she isn't interested in switching platforms. Apple market share is dropping like a stone; they are down to around 23% of the market last time I looked (Android around 70%).

Best wishes whatever you do!

Marc

I'm running a iPhone SE I got a few months back. I really liked the size of the 5s, so it made sense for me. I really like it and the price point was good.

I intend to buy. Far as I know there is a function for teleportation.Is there a function of time travel but limited. You can not go ahead on the date of the new iPhone 8 :)

I will buy the 8. I have a 6 plus now. I can't upgrade every year. I will buy the new Apple Watch.

I'm hoping they will add a needed new feature before I buy another, real water resistance. I'd like 5' resistance and now that they have done away with the jack, maybe? With the loss of the jack, there is no more analog interface to work with. I'll miss it but I figure most won't.

I have a 6s now and don't see any new features that encourage me to buy at this time...

Have a 6+ and am considering a 7+ mainly for the camera improvements. But I'm not in a hurry - sometime between now and early next year, probably.

I'm hoping they will add a needed new feature before I buy another, real water resistance.
+1

I can't believe that a phone as popular as the iPhone has been in the past hasn't ever been made to be water proof. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple purposely didn't do this so that they could sell more replacements. You barely dip the wrong end of an iPhone in water and it locks up and stops working even if dried out.

Jumping from Android to Apple just because the early production Samsung N7s are torches is a bit extreme. Samsung already seems to have the situation corrected, but if you want to avoid Samsung for a while, look at recent offerings from LG, HTC, and similar manufacturers. I exited Samsung a year or so ago, because for my purposes there were better values to be had. You might consider a G5. I personally use an LG G3. Love it, no need for me to upgrade.

Also see here:
https://www.androidcentral.com/what-buy-if-youre-returning-galaxy-note-7

Android vs Apple of course is almost a religious war for some people... I have a work iPhone and would never consider a personal iPhone. My wife has an iPhone and though it annoys her she isn't interested in switching platforms. Apple market share is dropping like a stone; they are down to around 23% of the market last time I looked (Android around 70%).

Best wishes whatever you do!

Marc

I am most definitely not--Jumping from Android to Apple just because the early production Samsung N7s are torches is a bit extreme.
I have wanted to give apple computers a try for years.. Since my Galaxy tablet is no more I am going to purchase a laptop..
This is going to be the first try for an apple computer for me..
As far as the phone,, It's 2 completely separate issues..
I like a large screen on my phone so I don't always need my glasses to see it.. The apple screen was always too small for me..
I understand it isn't anymore, they now have an offer with a larger screen.. When the time comes I'll take a look at it...

Teddy

I'm hoping they will add a needed new feature before I buy another, real water resistance. I'd like 5' resistance and now that they have done away with the jack, maybe? With the loss of the jack, there is no more analog interface to work with. I'll miss it but I figure most won't.

I have a 6s now and don't see any new features that encourage me to buy at this time...
The 7 does have improved water resistance. It has outperformed the Galaxy 7 on several real-world tests. The 7 has a rating of IP67 which means it can withstand being submerged for 30 mins in a meter of water. But tests have shown it can go deeper than that for shorter periods. But I'm not sure I'd risk it.

https://bgr.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-vs-galaxy-s7-water-resistance/

Apple also does have analog audio out. In the teardown of the 7 Chipworks found that there is and DAC chip that appears to pass analog audio through the lighting adapter for compatibility with analog devices. But only testing will confirm how compatible it is with the various interfaces.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10687/early-iphone-7-teardown-modems-and-more

(search for 'audio')

The biggest jump in the 7 is the processor. The year old 6+ is already faster than any of the Android devices available (including the brand new Galaxy 7) and the 7 is considerably faster than the 6. In the test below the 7 completely spanks the Note:

https://bgr.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-vs-note-7-specs-speed-test-video/

Plus with the new 2 low power cores they get an extra 2 hours battery life with only a minor bump in battery size. And both 7 models now have optical image stabilization which is helpful if you take a lot of pictures indoors.

If you have a 6 or 6+ iOS 10 brings a lot of great new features. I really like the new photos app and the music app a far easier to figure out what is going on. If you are a Mac user iOS 10 also brings even tighter integration once Sierra is available. (The new Mac OS) Things like copy on your iPhone and that clipboard is transferred nearly instantly to your Mac and vice-versa.

Overall the 7 is much more of an innards update than a form factor change. Whether it is worth it to you only you can decide.

Tony

I can't believe that a phone as popular as the iPhone has been in the past hasn't ever been made to be water proof.

Are any of these devices truly waterproof? I recall reading that the Samsung items, despite being the focus of so many ads, were not nearly as waterproof as hoped.

Are any of these devices truly waterproof? I recall reading that the Samsung items, despite being the focus of so many ads, were not nearly as waterproof as hoped.
Google search can be your friend. Do a search for iPhone 7 water resistance tests and see for yourself. The example I linked to clearly shows it can withstand submersion in water as advertised. But 'waterproof' is all dependent on pressure, which of course can be either spray pressure (think pressure washer) or depth. The standard the iPhone claims to meet is 1 meter for 30 minutes. Whether or not that is waterproof enough of course depends on your circumstances.

The Samsung Edge was dinged for failing to meet its advertised water resistance.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...sung-galaxy-s7-active-fails-water-resistance/

Tony

I've always had Apple phones. My girlfriend used to have Android and Samsung, but she had too many issues with them and decided to join the "walled garden". She's never looked back. Her kids both have iPhones as well. Now our entire house is Apple products. As an ecosystem, it simply can't be beat. Her daughter, who's in college, can start a project on her phone in class, save her progress on her phone and when she gets home, bring it right up on the family iMac and finish it. It costs a premium, but it just works flawlessly.

+1

I can't believe that a phone as popular as the iPhone has been in the past hasn't ever been made to be water proof. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple purposely didn't do this so that they could sell more replacements. You barely dip the wrong end of an iPhone in water and it locks up and stops working even if dried out.

My wife dropped her 6 in the toilet (full immersion in "clear" water, and it worked fine after drying out.
I don't borrow her phone anymore.

If the 7 works with my wifi hearing aids, I'll buy it.

It's something of a hobby of mine to observe people's choice of smartphone.

I don't really care what they get, individually, rather it is the process they go through to decide on a phone that I find interesting.

When my son came of age (middle school) a year ago, he said "all my friends have iPhones" which I disputed, but actually I surveyed a representative sample of them and they were all sporting things from the iPhone 4 to new model iPhone 6 variants. I asked a few of them what they liked about the phones, why they chose them... "Because that's what everybody at school has." None cared about specs, connectivity, or anything technical. They wanted it because that's what their friends have.

Other folks I know have strongly Apple-biased home ecosystems... Mac computers, iPAds, AppleTV, and iPhones of course. These people tend to love their iPhones.

Those people I know who have "non-Apple" home ecosystems (so, Windows or Linux variants) tend to have Androids and love them. A few of us are "blended families" with some Apple devices. Satisfaction with Apple products is much lower in these groups.

As I survey kids that have made it to college, the bias toward iPhone abruptly reverses. Turns out you can get a good Android phone, not latest model, for about half of what a similar iPhone will cost... and price is a big factor in this demographic. If I talk to engineers, they tend to sneer at the thought of owning an iPhone.

I buy phones/tablets based on somewhat technical criteria not worth getting into here, but you could describe them as "having the specific hardware / OS features I need." I'm on AT&T but usually by the T-Mobile variants, as they tend to be less locked down than the AT&T variants. Android works for me just fine; it's a bit more complex than Apple but mostly it just works, just like Apple.

I've been watching the decline of the iPhone with some level of surprise for a few years. It will be interesting to see how long they remain a viable force in the market. They still sell a LOT of phones compared to other manufacturers, but since there are dozens of manufacturers of Android devices, in all shapes and sizes, and price points, iPhone is getting marginalized more and more each day.

I do like that there is more than one major paradigm... it's good for innovation.

To each their own.

I ordered a 7 Plus. My 4s is on its last legs.

So I'm not the only one with a 4. Why replace a perfectly good tool before it breaks? Only issue I have is that they keep making the text smaller and fuzzier.

My work phone is an iPhone 4S. I love it. I had a Galaxy Rugby Pro that worked OK for almost 2 years and then the battery took a dump. I tried a second battery (all be it a cheap one... :dark: ), then they gave me the iPhone from a salesman who quit. I loved it right away. I'm a field mechanic ( I work outside a LOT), and I work around noisy equipment. If I carry the phone in a holster or my pants pocket, I can't hear it (or feel it) ring. The stupid Rugby was huge in my shirt pocket and always falling out. With the 4S, I could put it in my shirt pocket and fasten the button. No more phone falling out. Then the Galaxy contract was up and they got us new Galaxy 6S rugged (or whatever crap name they came up with). Another huge phone falling out of my pocket again :mad: So after 2 months (oh, by the way, they're too cheap to get insurance, even for the field mechanics...) :facepalm: We're supposed to be carefull :eyeroll: Yep, you guessed it. I took the phone out of my pocket so it wouldn't fall in the oil pan I was moving. I set it aside and and started the machine. It fell off of where I had it set (maximum 2 1/2' drop). No more screen. You could call me, but I couldn't answer since the screen was blank. Check into repairing the phone and a new screen was over $400.00 w/o installation... :y: So, I said, gimme the iPhone back. They hemmed and hawed and finally decided that would be OK. Going on my 3rd year with it now. The battery is just starting to need charging more than once every 48hrs. And I use the phone quite a bit. My personal phone is the 5S and it's OK, although a lot of people tell me I'm hard to hear unless I switch to speaker phone mode (could be how I hold it? ). It's starting to have charging issues (I don't like the "lightning plug, I think it's a little fragile compared to the 4S plug, but the smaller size is nice). I'll probably upgrade it when it's available for upgrade with the SE as I want a phone more than I want a pocket computer with a huge screen. And I won't have to change cases...

Adrian

Last edited:
I am upgrading to the 7plus from a 6plus mainly because of the Tmobile promotion. Otherwise, I would most likely wait another year and the next version. We'll see how it works out. I did make a promise to my wife that she gets this version as well she is still on iPhone 4.

I'm all apple at home and am switching to a mac at work...I'm really happy about that.

I ordered a 7 Plus. My 4s is on its last legs.

ditto. Just smashed my 4s back lol. can't wait. this thing is cooked. battery is fried.

I'm looking at this more as a mini computer upgrade than a phone. I had a 3gs. you couldn't kill those. Guy at work still runs one. when i got the 4s, they told me it was more fragile than the 3. I said "you can't do this?" and skipped my 3 off the table at him.... priceless.

Last edited:
Google search can be your friend.

Sometimes questions are rhetorical. I am continuously peeved at Samsung ads, whether they are suggesting they do not want dedicated fans, blatantly pushing ideas from others as their own, or outright lying about their capabilities.

Back