Anyone built 'The Limiting Factor' ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North Star

Reaction score
Like the title says; anyone out there built this model from the article in Sport Rocketry (or the NAR handbook)?. I've searched TRF but there are only a couple of references to a micro version.
I accumulated all the parts last year but never got round to starting as I have been doing a lot of travelling in persuit of my other hobby (shock horror - a hobby other than rocketry :eek: ). Anyway I've spent up now so it's down to the backlog of kits and scratchbuilds ready for a return to flying next year.

The details in the article are basic but the drawings are good, the model is within my capabilities and I do quite fancy tinkering with the design - like adding a couple of inches in length as I'm not using a donor Fat Boy - so I'd just like to hear from other builders and flyers.

This is not looking good :(

Ah well ... best make a start then. (I'll have to get the digicam lit up and post some piccies - might encourage someone else to have a go)

That thing will sure uses up your inventory of nose cones in a hurry!

OK...maybe not mine!:)

Originally posted by sandman
That thing will sure uses up your inventory of nose cones in a hurry!

OK...maybe not mine!:)

No problem - I went to 'Apo11o' with a parts list and depleted HIS inventory of nose cones :D

As a 'nose cone collector' I do have quite a stock anyway - in fact one of the bigger ones rides on one of 'Tube collector' Hokky's tubes.

Originally posted by North Star
Like the title says; anyone out there built this model from the article in Sport Rocketry (or the NAR handbook)?. I've searched TRF but there are only a couple of references to a micro version.

>>> Yea! it's getting the time to put all the pieces together;) I'm the crazy doing the micro version, I've turned all the parts but that's where I got side tracked on something else...Naram-46 I thing or maybe the Der Red Max Diorama/launcher thingy....anyway here's a condensed look at the altered model for micro-maxx. Fin pods have been moved back just a bit.

Originally posted by Micromeister
I'm the crazy doing the micro version,

I agree with you on that ;)
I had to copy the attachment, and magnify it just to see the detail . Are you a watchmaker in real life ?

I agree with you on that ;)
I had to copy the attachment, and magnify it just to see the detail . Are you a watchmaker in real life ?

Ah Ha :D No I'm not a watchmaker. just a average every day joe who likes to push the envelope in the opposite direction. I even have a model of a model rocket range...well two different ranges actually with non flying models of teeny tiny models on wee little launch rods, just for fun,

Sorry off subject...How far along have you gotten in construction of your Limiting Factor? Are you thinking of moving the fins/pods back to allow the model to stand on the points?

As a 'nose cone collector' I do have quite a stock anyway - in fact one of the bigger ones rides on one of 'Tube collector' Hokky's tubes.

Oohhh, I'd forgotten about that, as usual. Your parachute also rides within!

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Oohhh, I'd forgotten about that, as usual. Your parachute also rides within!

No worries .. they've flown more than I have this year :(

Originally posted by Micromeister

How far along have you gotten in construction of your Limiting Factor? Are you thinking of moving the fins/pods back to allow the model to stand on the points?

I haven't started cutting yet , I wondered what other builders had experienced but it seems that plans haven't had much take up (I think TRF is a good cross section of flyers so I suspect there won't be many built)
I hadn't considered moving the fins but it's certainly worth looking at. I had thought of using a Shadow/Phoenix cone-based boat tail instead of the Fat boy's which would mean a bit of remodelling - might spoil the look though.
BTW those dioramas are amazing .. Things in miniature fascinate me but I don't have the patience to do it myself.

I'm sure it's the pod/fins that keep the vast majority of folks from seriously trying the model. That and 9 nose cones:D
Turning the micro's was a bit of a challange. The small lower pod cones just wouldn't come out right so I had to regroup and fashion the Pod/spikes as a single unit. finishing the long taper last as it ususally broke free before cutting to that very fine point in basswood.
I've got to get back to this one soon.

do you guys have a link to the info on building this thing?

Originally posted by stevem
do you guys have a link to the info on building this thing?

The info and plan came via that ancient medium of paper, first as an article in Sport Rocketry (May/June 2003) and it was repeated in the 2003 NAR member guidebook. I've not seen anything online, I did google a bit but couldn't find anything.

Thanks North Star,
I've been procrastinating about joining NAR but I guess it's time to cough up some money for a membership!

Originally posted by stevem
Thanks North Star,
I've been procrastinating about joining NAR but I guess it's time to cough up some money for a membership!

Or at least buy the back issue of Sport Rocketry.

I can't make my mind up on this one Brian...I probably have enough nose cones and the tubes. I occasionaly look back at the plan and then think nah and put it on a back burner:)
...on the other hand the micro max version looks interesting:)

Pete

Originally posted by starbug

...on the other hand the micro max version looks interesting:)
Pete

Of course you were, one of the first to be seduced by the Nano side.

Time to re-open an old thread ...

Limiting factor is completed but not yet flown. Here she is off on a mission. I built the rocket as in the plans except for the 'Rowes retainer' in place of a motor hook. There were one or two 'issues' with the build - eg. I don't think there is enough chute space. I'm cramming one of Rockethead's lovely mylar chutes in and hoping for a soft landing site.

I called in on Apo11o at the recent UKRA event and stocked up again on nose cones and centering bits. I am going to do another LF but this time alter the internal design a bit.

So kind of you to say ....

Don't you think my conservatory blinds look a _little_ like a disturbance in the space time continuum :p

I didn't like to say. I so easily get into trouble when talking about what your rockets look like.

Back