Anyone build for pay in the Houston Texas area?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of warm, I watch this thread because it warms my heart. Houston is a lovely place. Now Pittsburgh, you'd think we'd be used to driving in snow... but every year it's the same mess, cars all over the place, etc. Every newscast with snow in the forecast, there's a bundled-up reporter in front of the road maintenance sheds assuring us that PennDOT will be out in force plowing and salting, letting us know the state of the salt supplies, etc. That's not news. News is when PennDOT says, "Aw, phooey, this isn't that bad - we're sitting this one out! Just be careful!"

Speaking of warm, I watch this thread because it warms my heart. Houston is a lovely place. Now Pittsburgh, you'd think we'd be used to driving in snow... but every year it's the same mess, cars all over the place, etc. Every newscast with snow in the forecast, there's a bundled-up reporter in front of the road maintenance sheds assuring us that PennDOT will be out in force plowing and salting, letting us know the state of the salt supplies, etc. That's not news. News is when PennDOT says, "Aw, phooey, this isn't that bad - we're sitting this one out! Just be careful!"
Hi Tom, I have hauled that there salt to PennDOT before. Your welcome :) :)

Much thanks, Dave! Watch out for the idiots in SUV's who still haven't figured out that going isn't the problem. It's steering and stopping that'll get you! :rolleyes:

I had a job working on one of the lift motors at one of the salt mines up near Lake Erie a long ways back. The idea that those miners are down a mile, and several miles out UNDER Lake Erie, is mind-blowing!

I'm a typical Texan. Thought I was all prepared with lots of bottled drinking water to get us through. Guess what I forgot about.............flushing the crappers :ghosty:. Sooooo, I ended up melting ice on the stove and filled a bath tub with it. Then could use that water for the toilets. After I do all that work, my Wife says, "I bet our neighbors will let us use some water out of their back yard pool :facepalm:." They did, so lugging all that ice back and forth to the stove, melting it, and pouring it into the bath tub did not have to be done in the first place.

Hi Steve, just wanted you to know I will leave on Monday, going to OK. Be gone a bit. But I try to plan like this as your white is drying on the bird. I learned long ago, if touching it will leave a oil finger print, it is not ready to be masked off for another color. Will continue work on her when I get back. All that is really left to do is black paint and decals. I did not clear coat mine. The decals have held up fine and I have 16 flights on her. Do you want me to clear over the decals? I will also place the order for the chutes when I get back, holding off till I knew what size I need for the V 2. Got to order a 12' one for her. Stay warm, Dave.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Sorry it had to be this way, but there are a whole lot of people on here who's attitude seems to be "If you don't rocket the way I rocket, then you rocket wrong."

I think you just met several...
No kidding. I'm one who doesn't give s$@% what people think or do. Someone always has an opinion and if you dont agree they get their panties in a wad.

Hi Steve, just wanted you to know I will leave on Monday, going to OK. Be gone a bit. But I try to plan like this as your white is drying on the bird. I learned long ago, if touching it will leave a oil finger print, it is not ready to be masked off for another color. Will continue work on her when I get back. All that is really left to do is black paint and decals. I did not clear coat mine. The decals have held up fine and I have 16 flights on her. Do you want me to clear over the decals? I will also place the order for the chutes when I get back, holding off till I knew what size I need for the V 2. Got to order a 12' one for her. Stay warm, Dave.

Dave, you must have a good reason not to clear coat.............so that is fine with me. You be safe on the roads. I will give you a call sometime then and we can continue to solve all the worlds problems. 🇺🇸 God Bless America 🇺🇸

Hi Steve, was down your way last week and got rear ended :( Pickup got me as I was making a right turn. Could see the plant just 3 blocks away. Go figure!! Anyway, paint is all done on her. let it cure and put the decals on. Dave.

Attachments

• SV black paint 001.JPG
    SV black paint 001.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 32
  • SV black paint 002.JPG
    SV black paint 002.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 29
  • SV black paint 003.JPG
    SV black paint 003.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 32
  • SV black paint 004.JPG
    SV black paint 004.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 31
This should be a sticky as to why quite a few of us don't enjoy posting or spending time on the forum. The guy just wanted to pay some one to build his rocket. Straight forward, no need to reply unless you want to help, have a question such as on how much he is willing to pay (you should be interested in doing the job if you are asking this) or referring him to someone who may be interested. Sorry but I see so much of this kind of stuff on the forum, it's no fun and kills the interest in spending time on the forum.

Hi Mustang, sorry you feel bad about some posts. I just kind of try to let them bounce off once in a while. Some times it is hard to do so though. Please feel free to post on any of my threads. Dave.
PS like the car!!!

Dave, how close where you to Houston? I realize that to somebody that drives as much as you do and with how big Texas is that could be anywhere from 100 to 300 miles or more. I sure hope the person in the pick up had insurance, so many in Texas do not.

The Saturn V is looking amazing. So much talent is shown in how you get the lines so straight with painting and gluing. Especially over the corrugations. I would be so lost! Thank you again so much!

Personally, I do not think there will ever be another rocket as majestic as the Saturn V.

Last edited:
Steve, I was in OK. Hell if I was near Houston we would have had coffee :)
Thanks for the kind words, I'm just an old guy, now, that likes to build stuff. Dave.
PS, they have State Farm.

Dave, I can echo Steve's praise, I'm just following along enjoying the build and hoping that if I ever get the chance, that mine looks as good as that. Like Steve said, getting that roll pattern correct with all those corrugations - I have the 1:100 Dragon Saturn V with the clear panels so you can see the innards - it came painted but not nearly as nice as that. And I didn't have time to redo it -probably not the talent or tools, either! That was before I discovered Tamiya masking tape!

Steve, you are correct, that flying skyscraper is certainly the most majestic rocket to ever take flight. Even the SLS doesn't look as good. I wonder if it'll ever fly? :(

Hi Steve, she is ready for a new home. Know anyone that might want her??
Ordered the chutes last night, Preston at Top Flight is great. But I did order them along with some stuff for myself. Don't know how long it will take him to make a 12' main, but he is pretty fast. they are only one state away so shipping is just a couple days. I am going to leave the LES off, I fly mine without it. Then you can always just pop it on for display.
sorry for the fuzzy pics, can't get Macro to pull up on camera. Dave.

Attachments

• Steve's Saturn V done 001.JPG
    Steve's Saturn V done 001.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Steve's Saturn V done 003.JPG
    Steve's Saturn V done 003.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Steve's Saturn V done 004.JPG
    Steve's Saturn V done 004.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Steve's Saturn V done 005.JPG
    Steve's Saturn V done 005.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Steve's Saturn V done 006.JPG
    Steve's Saturn V done 006.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Steve's Saturn V done 007.JPG
    Steve's Saturn V done 007.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 20
Unbelievable David! My Wife, oldest Daughter and I get home from Baton Rogue Louisiana. My youngest Daughter was married there this past week end and I am just starting to come back down to Earth, turn on my computer and,............................... Blast off again seeing this incredible Saturn V !!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful Rocket, your talent amazes me. It looks better then I thought possible.

This rocket started life as a box full of cardboard unfinished tubes, some plastic strips, a sheet of decals, and a few plastic pieces. And then you have the talent to take that and turn it into a masterpiece like this. All the time, talent and work involved, I can't thank you enough.

Dave, that will happen. The club that I belong to is actually on NASA property. There are some NASA engineers in the club. Does not get any better then that. She will fly next to the real Saturn V on display there. Only one problem, they still will not allow flights because of the Chin@ virus.

Last edited:
Dave, that will happen. The club that I belong to is actually on NASA property. There are some NASA engineers in the club. Does not get any better then that. She will fly next to the real Saturn V on display there. Only one problem, they still will not allow flights because of the Covid - 19.
Love it except I'm sad they won't allow flights yet...

Hi Steve, sorry I was in PA yesterday and had to be at plant in an hour and still 90 miles away. Wife said chutes arrived on Tuesday, will get them installed and she will be on her way to her new home. I will be back about the end of the month. Please PM me your shipping address. Thanks, Dave.

Aw man, in my back yard! Enjoy the potholes, Dave! I just got back yesterday from a few days in Hobbs, NM... talk about flat ground! Miles and miles of nothing but the (very) occasional tree or rooftop or powerline...

Steve, the chutes are wrapped for shipping. Do not fly her with the shrouds around chute, again, I only did that to ship her. I added Flame proof blankets on each chute, I like to wrap burrito style. also have some dog barf in box. I put some down the motor tube before flight in addition to the blankets. Can't hurt. Have fun, Dave.

Back