Anyone build for pay in the Houston Texas area?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the OP I’ve been back in the hobby a few years now, and as mentioned previously check out Chris Michaelson’s blog. I had to get my building skills back into shape, and researched his blog extensively. I am just now working on an Estes Saturn V. I only get to a launch a couple times a year, so a major part of the hobby is building. I also realized that I’m really slow at it, several months for a build sometimes.

For the OP I’ve been back in the hobby a few years now, and as mentioned previously check out Chris Michaelson’s blog. I had to get my building skills back into shape, and researched his blog extensively. I am just now working on an Estes Saturn V. I only get to a launch a couple times a year, so a major part of the hobby is building. I also realized that I’m really slow at it, several months for a build sometimes.
Oops, Chris Michielssen’s blog!

to the OP, I live in MN. I would be more than happy to build it for you. You paay to have it shipped to and from and there will be no charge for the build. I am gone for work lots and would get it done asapp for you. Please feel free to look at my threads and pm me if you'd like. Dave.

Now, THAT is is a prime example of what REAL "Rocketeers" do for each other !

Way to go, Dave !

Dave F.

This is a free country and if the OP wants to pay someone to build a rocket then so be it. From experience, there needs to be a defined contract with timelines and expectations. Otherwise there will be bad feelings. Yes rocketeers can do nice things for nice people. When there’s money involved, bad things can happen leading to bad feelings.

Technically, golf is a sport, not a hobby.

I don't, but I sure hope it gets to the point where you can buy plans and parts - a frend of mine once recommended the (old) VW bug as a first car becasue, as he said, "You could build one almost entirely from scratch just ordering parts from the J. C. Whitney catalog!" Have you ever gone over to the Space Center to see it in person? I could spend a couple of days there!

I don't, but I sure hope it gets to the point where you can buy plans and parts - a frend of mine once recommended the (old) VW bug as a first car becasue, as he said, "You could build one almost entirely from scratch just ordering parts from the J. C. Whitney catalog!" Have you ever gone over to the Space Center to see it in person? I could spend a couple of days there!

A few years back the Saturn V that was lying out in the elements decaying on display at NASA for so many years was completely restored cosmetically and placed into a climate controlled building. It is lying horizontal in such a way that you can walk between it's stages. It is absolutely incredible. I go there as often as possible.

That's the one I was referring to! I was there a few years back, after the restoration, but just before the completion of the Shuttle/747 display. How'd that turn out?

This is an interesting thread. There are certainly people who build models for money, our own @hcmbanjo builds for Estes and now Quest and I don't imagine his work is cheap. Now, his blog says it took '...a little over 28 hours...' to complete the Estes Saturn 1B (as an example). That's an expert, it would prolly take me at least half that time again for a job half as good. At say $25 an hour even, and my dog wouldn't work for that, its $700.

That's a lot of Saturn V kits to practice on.

So, my answer is, 'Probably yes, but the cost would be majorly prohibitive'.

My $0.02, which is my hourly farm work rate.

Start with simple kits as stated and what was RTF kits that require very little building, plastic fins, fin cans and already painted or has body

...from there a few simple kits and work you way up. I gave the Saturn V for 20 years waiting to be built and I do not think I will do it. You brought a hard , skill level kit to build but hey if you can find someone for a price you willing to pay, I understand your point...I love my 1st RTF kits when I got back into hobby.
Whatever happened to Rocketeers just helping each other out. Now, it has, apparently, become all about "making a buck" off of a guy who asks for help.

BTW - At $100 / hr., that model better be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT !

Scale Modelers for the WSMC often spend more than 1000 hours building their models, from SCRATCH, "down to the rivets" . . . So, are those models worth over $100,000 ? NOT !

Dave F.

View attachment 446655

View attachment 446656
Dave a thousand hours is a lot of time but expecting a hobbyist to built a difficult kit like a Saturn V for no money is ridiculous. A simple kit yes. Nice Vostok. Please stop kiddie expressions like not, you were an adult in the years it became popular.

This is an interesting thread. There are certainly people who build models for money, our own @hcmbanjo builds for Estes and now Quest and I don't imagine his work is cheap. Now, his blog says it took '...a little over 28 hours...' to complete the Estes Saturn 1B (as an example). That's an expert, it would prolly take me at least half that time again for a job half as good. At say $25 an hour even, and my dog wouldn't work for that, its $700.

That's a lot of Saturn V kits to practice on.

So, my answer is, 'Probably yes, but the cost would be majorly prohibitive'.

My $0.02, which is my hourly farm work rate.

Could take that long if you buy several kits and keep building over and over again until it's perfect.

A few years back the Saturn V that was lying out in the elements decaying on display at NASA for so many years was completely restored cosmetically and placed into a climate controlled building. It is lying horizontal in such a way that you can walk between it's stages. It is absolutely incredible. I go there as often as possible.

Maybe they'll make another Battleship style movie where the only way to defeat the aliens is to reassemble the Saturn and fly a nuclear bomb into the mothership. (God forbid)

That's the one I was referring to! I was there a few years back, after the restoration, but just before the completion of the Shuttle/747 display. How'd that turn out?

It turned out great too. But in my opinion the Saturn V is more impressive.

Last edited:
...I live in the Houston Texas area....

I would suggest looking up a local NAR chapter, and perhaps contacting them to see actual examples of the builds done by members in the club, and you might get a better idea of the quality of their work if you are indeed able to find someone interested in doing a build for you. And then you will have a place to launch it as well. I think there is a club in the vicinity of JSC, not sure how convenient that is for you. I lived there some years ago, and don’t know anyone there personally now. Best of luck in your search!

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/
If you don’t have the kit, not sure if you can get the current Skylab Saturn V and some replacement parts from Estes to complete an Apollo 11 version?

Last edited:
I guess the stages could be glued together and a stuffer tube drilled through to the NC. Would be kinda shame...

The reason why I got tired of my car models is that they just sat there on the shelf doing nothing. At least with model rockets, I can launch them periodically.
NNNNOOOOOOOO, you dont ever launch this thing!!!!

Climbing onto my soapbox.

How about a little perspective? Does every golfer build their own clubs? No, so it's not a hobby then? I collect and use Weber kettle grills. I've never built one, and I don't raise my own animals. So that makes me a spectator? Do backpackers all make their own tents, sleeping bags, and hiking shoes? Okay, hopefully you get my point. Come on, people. Lighten up. Like many of you, building is as much, if not more, of the hobby for me than launching. It doesn't have to be that way for everyone.

BTW - The only part of launching rockets that is spectator sport is after you've pushed the button and are watching them come down. There's a whole lot more to rocketry than just building.

Climbing down now.
Climbing onto my soapbox.

How about a little perspective? Does every golfer build their own clubs? No, so it's not a hobby then? I collect and use Weber kettle grills. I've never built one, and I don't raise my own animals. So that makes me a spectator? Do backpackers all make their own tents, sleeping bags, and hiking shoes? Okay, hopefully you get my point. Come on, people. Lighten up. Like many of you, building is as much, if not more, of the hobby for me than launching. It doesn't have to be that way for everyone.

BTW - The only part of launching rockets that is spectator sport is after you've pushed the button and are watching them come down. There's a whole lot more to rocketry than just building.

Climbing down now.

Mind if I join you? I absolutely HATE building and repairing crashed rockets even less.My last 4 new rockets were built by Brent Bierstdadt and Jim Hendrickson. Both great builders. They wouldnt take any payment either I do give them credit on the flight cards when I fly.

Mind if I join you? I absolutely HATE building and repairing crashed rockets even less.My last 4 new rockets were built by Brent Bierstdadt and Jim Hendrickson. Both great builders. They wouldnt take any payment either I do give them credit on the flight cards when I fly.

So there are others out there.............. 🚀 :eggnog: Welcome to the, "Problemed Rocket Builders Of America" association, or "PRBOA". Thankfully, there are many in this hobby that are down right nice folks willing to help us so much!

My first thought when I saw the acronym was something along the lines of "Presybiopia Rocket Builders of America", which I suspect many of us are. But I like yours better. And I thank God that lack of time and presbyopia are my only current impediments. Best wishes to you, gettin' old isn't for the faint of heart!

And I'm immediately reminded of teh "other" pretty scale-rocket kit maker...

Equally well build, but with higher heels..

(and wow, no mention / link in a quick google search!)

Back