- Jan 28, 2009
- Reaction score
- Meridian, ID
So I know that there are at least a couple of other Photon users on TRF. I've bought one and have it sitting here, but haven't even plugged it in yet. So many questions, and years of FDM printing experience don't seem to apply much. I know there's a Photon group on Facebook, and I've gotten a lot of information off there, but it's such a crapshoot; sometimes conflicting advice. I'd like to connect here with folks that are using resin printers for the same sort of stuff that I'm doing. Here's a bunch of topics, what I know about them, and what I don't:
- Aside from what came with the printer, I have no clue.
- I did see a Facebook thread recommending mixing between 1-20% of flexible resin into your regular resin to reduce brittleness, but there was no consensus on the percentage or brand.
- Pre-heating the resin in a warm-water bath?
- Gentle shaking/mixing of the resin is recommended before use. How come there is no nutating mixer on Thingiverse? Google - there is one here, maybe? Wait, that's cool, you have to sign up to the service there to get the paper on it, but that's easy. Just a couple of parts from Amazon, and print it up - alter or make a new platform to fit a resin bottle.
Yes, I saw the Prusa CW-1; way out of my $$ range. I've seen lots of recommendations, here's what I'm moving towards:
- 'Dirty' IPA wash.
- 'Clean' IPA wash.
- Soft brush.
- Hot water rinse.
- Support removal.
- Soft brush.
- Air blast - just a shot with an air brush compressor.
- UV cure - now I see that a heated cure is sometimes recommended.
- I bought a set of canisters to use as wash/rinse stations. They're about the perfect size, but I don't yet know if they're suitable for IPA.
- Thinking of doing something like this, but I'd have to resize it for the canisters I've got (the ones in that Thing are in the UK).
- I did get this mixer.
- Where would be a good local source for IPA? WalMart and pharmacies seem way $$.
- Sprue cutter for support removal. I already have several of these for wire cutting.
- Gloves. I understand that nitrile is recommended but I already buy vinyl gloves 1000 at a time for other uses. I haven't seen anything that specifically recommends against vinyl.
- Spatula. I just have what came with the Photon. Wondering if a Cricut spatula would be good; I have one here somewhere.
- Need to find a soft brush - I hear that a toothbrush can be too hard.
These are some of the things I've FDM printed or plan to print off of Thingiverse for the Photon. I've collected these things and other stuff here.OTHER ACCESSORIES
- Vat drain tower. I've printed this and it actually looks like it might be practical; we'll see.
- Build plate 'drip-off' bracket. There are several of these and this appears to be the simplest. Looks useful.
- Resin funnel. I haven't found one of these I like that looks like it would work well with the drain tower. I may make up my own.
- Switch protector. I hate the way the USB thumbdrive sticks out the side ready to be knocked off. This should help.
- Leveling gadget. No idea if this is useful but there are several on Thingiverse.
- Vat cover.
- Vat box.
- There are several air filtering upgrades for Anycubics. I haven't looked at them closely and don't know if anything will be needed for the Photon S - its filtering is supposed to be better than the Photon.
- Photon door handle. Yeah, it needs one.
- FEP replacement tool. Stupid simple, maybe useful.
- I bought a pack of these LCD screen gaskets after seeing reports of resin leaks on Facebook.
- FEP film. All I have is what came with the printer.
I guess most people don't bother with the Anycubic slicer; Chitubox seems to be recommended. I haven't looked at it at all yet, but I notice that there's some user's guide videos on Youtube. I also came across a video that recommended using the Prusaslicer as a better way to add supports, then exporting the .stl into Chitubox for slicing.CURING
I got one of these UV lamps - need to make up some sort of box for it; maybe heated?