Quantcast

AnybodyElseHavingSpaceTrouble?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
ForSomeReason,MyAttemptsToPostAreHavingProblemsWithMissingSpaces...

It's not happening with every post, but it's a new development, and is intermittent.

[EDIT] The space between the "t" and "h" in "...Wit hMissing..." was not intentional, and I cannot seem to remove it. Also, things seemed to be working justfine now :wink:
[EDIT][EDIT] and then it happened again.

Last edited:

Incongruent

Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to politely ask for some personal space.

If it works in preschool... Ok, maybe it didn't work in preschool, but it'll work here.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
I know the board automatically removes extra spaces ex. I was taught to double space after a period (end of sentence), in the typing class I had...that extra space gets removed.
Rex

soopirV

Reaction score
I know the board automatically removes extra spaces ex. I was taught to double space after a period (end of sentence), in the typing class I had...that extra space gets removed.
Rex
I'm struggling with this now! We hired a team of technical writers in my department, and to a person, they say double space after period is wrong. It is SUCH a hard habit to break! Didn't notice that the forum fixes it automatically, maybe I should write my launch announcements here first so it can autocorrect for me!

EDIT- and I guess the fact that I never noticed it here means that the tech writers are right! They said it's a throwback to the days when kerning was a thing people worried about. I had to look that up, had never heard of it.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
HTML always reduces multiple spaces into one. Always has, always will, I guess.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I'm struggling with this now! We hired a team of technical writers in my department, and to a person, they say double space after period is wrong. It is SUCH a hard habit to break! Didn't notice that the forum fixes it automatically, maybe I should write my launch announcements here first so it can autocorrect for me!

EDIT- and I guess the fact that I never noticed it here means that the tech writers are right! They said it's a throwback to the days when kerning was a thing people worried about. I had to look that up, had never heard of it.
Type it in google docs and find [Double Space] and replace with [single space]
(I do that in reverse when I have to do double spaced essays.)

Hope it works out
-Tony

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Had this issue earlier, then refreshed the page and it worked.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Had this issue earlier, then refreshed the page and it worked.
Refreshingisn'tworkingforme. However, if I paste in a space from somewhere, I can type just fine (like I just did here). Weird!

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The china servers are having trouble with your English.
It is new bug from China, and your messing it up with your English.
Good luck with your continuing problems K'Tesh.

neil_w

"Between builds"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just experienced this today after upgrading to the latest version of Chrome.

The first paragraph was eating all spaces, then after I hit return a couple of times and started a new paragraph everything returned to normal. Only happened once so far, will keep an eye on it.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I had the same problem earlier today, using Chrome. It also went away after a refresh. There may be some bad javascript running sometimes (maybe in an ad).

-- Roger

watermelonman

Reaction score
I was running Safari and Chrome simultaneously, Chrome was showing the problem while Safari was not. So the browser was definitely an important variable.

Notably that same copy of Chrome was not showing the weird space behavior on other web sites.

neil_w

"Between builds"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I continue to have this trouble sometimes while entering a post. I can *always* fix it by moving the cursor *above* where I am, and then typing my message, and then deleting the line at the bottom which had no spaces.

Very weird.

scsager

Slightly burned-out old guy
Reaction score
Had this issue today when replying to a PM.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like the others who are having this problem, I'm using Chrome.

Last edited:

Incongruent

Reaction score
I fixed it by pasting text (it was a link, no spaces) and deleting it.
I'm not sure why, it seems to be a bug in TRF but I forgot to try anywhere else.

If it helps:
It was is chrome. I got it after I went to a new window and came back. I closed a window (TRF smiles) by hovering over the chrome icon and (x)ing it out there, before going to this window. Both the start and end window exist, I removed a separate window.
Pasting in something might a solution.

FURTHER TESTING NEEDED!!!

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've found that by hitting enter a couple of times, then deleting the spaces created by them, I can type normally again.

Incongruent

Reaction score
Perhaps it just needs to recalibrate or something.

How many rocketeers does it take to fix a nonregistering spacebar?

No, no, no- That's a software problem.

jnelson

Reaction score
ForSomeReason,MyAttemptsToPostAreHavingProblemsWithMissingSpaces...
YepIamhavingthesameproblem.

Itdoesn'thappen with (oh look, it just fixed itself). Was going to say, for me it doesn't happen with new replies, just when doing a reply with a quote.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
I ran across a 'space' problem last nite on google...your missing spaces kept showing up in my search terms, ex. D o o m, and w i n d o w s 1 0. most annoying :).
Rex

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Snipped for brevity
...We hired a team of technical writers in my department, and to a person, they say double space after period is wrong....They said it's a throwback to the days when kerning was a thing people worried about....
Well, to be pedantic they are wrong. Not about the double space - that should have died with typewriters, but about kerning.

Kerning is the spacing between letters in a proportional font, not the space after a period. In typesetting the extra space after the period was referred to as 'French Spacing' and was simply a style thought to help improve legibility. Since typewriters were monospaced the extra space after the period helped the reader's eye pick out sentences more easily. Once computers started doing proportional fonts the extra space was not needed.

Kerning is still a thing many people are 'worried' about. When text is reproduced at large sizes the letter spacing often does not hold up well. Letter pairs are kerned so they look better. I use kerning all the time and any graphics program worth using offers kerning between letters.

Not to knock your tech writers but they are tech writers. If they worked in design they would know better. My company teaches software packages used by graphic artists and tech writers so I'm very familiar with both.

Tony

The sample on the left is with no kerning - just typed in, the one on the right I kerned each letter pair to improve the look. Very noticeable when viewed at full size. Done in Photoshop:

kerned.gif

Last edited:

neil_w

"Between builds"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think pretty much everyone agrees nowadays that the double space after period is obsolete. However I am finding that it is an incredibly hard habit to break. And then mobile keyboards that use double space as a shortcut for period just keep reinforcing the habit. Argh.

neil_w

"Between builds"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just recently I noticed that this problem is gone from the current version of Chrome. Our long national nightmare is over.