Anybody Watch CSI last night???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
The story was centered around 2 cases, one which dealt with a car bomb made of AP. It was referred to (frequently) as rocket fuel and the investigation lead them to a parant who was making a volcano for a science fair project. At the end, when they caught the bad guy...the chief investigator talks about ammonium Perchlorate (sorry about spelling) and says, "Yep, if you can make a volcano, you can make a bomb."

Left me wondering ... was I reading to much into this? Was this some sort of reaching out by a person trying to make a point?

Hi
Did'nt watch it (cant in the uk) but you could have a point there. The ATF could be setting the stage.
Mind you ammonium perchlorate is not the only substance that can be use to make an explosion, bet they did'nt mention that
David

I saw it too. First they refer to AP as rocket fuel, and AP and gasoline as being an explosive. Which is innacurate both in and out of the story. Later that say how AP, PBAN, and Aluminum powder are the ingredients for both a toy volcano and a bomb. The only volcanos I've ever seen built never included those ingredients.

I'd bet money BATFE people were technical consultants on that episode. A perfect way to plant that seed in the public's mind, with no regard to accuracy/truth. They should have gone all the way and had them building high power rocket motors from scratch for the kid's science project.

The problem is that the general public make little to no distinction between "bomb" and "explosive"

Heck, I can make a bomb out of water, a sealed metal can and a heat source. a powerful one too. and not one element nor combination of those elements could *ever* be considered an "explosive"

Also, we expect that school teacher to have been able to dismantle the car, find the digital clock, and find a place on that clock that has a timer output. I don't know but the clocks in the cars I've had don't have alarms. Or did I miss something?

Either way this has nothing to do with the conspiracy behind this episode. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jflis
The problem is that the general public make little to no distinction between "bomb" and "explosive"

Heck, I can make a bomb out of water, a sealed metal can and a heat source. a powerful one too. and not one element nor combination of those elements could *ever* be considered an "explosive"

This is true too.

The thread is so long on rmr, on this subject, that you can't see the end of the list without scrolling. ;)

"I'd bet money BATFE people were technical consultants on that episode. "

(rant on)
I've seen statements like this at least 100 times since the "news" came out about the episode in question.
What's laughable about that statement isn't that it might be true but, that they would pick one particular show out to "plant their seed" of misinformation. I guess when you see it on every other sitcom or drama on the tube, it might be time to worry. We all know, without a doubt, that the BATFE will do ANYTHING to put their point of view across to the masses.
Like Jim says, you can take any combination of anything and more than likely make something that would be detrimental to society.
Forget about "making sense" or being "truthful" with the BATFE. They're not interested. PERIOD.
(rant off)

Back in my army days when they let me play with some of the neatest rockets they also taught me to make explosions with the most innocent things. The average kitchen has enough ingredients to blow the house away.
David

One reason they might 'pick' this one, is that they *may* be consulted on the show's contents (not just that episode). Also, the choice of AP/APCP is a pretty obscure selection, especially when it doesn't fit with the intended use that was portrayed.

And I've seen, but not read, the rmr thread. I'd rather do my ranting here, where people won't jump on my case, even if I'm wrong :)

Oh, another point is the regulation af ACPC is no more up to the public than it is up to the rocketry community. So if this was an attempt to discredit APCP by the BATF, it won't be their biggest and best shot at us.

I can just see a bunch of writers sitting around..."Hey, what was the name of that place that blew up a while back...had rocket motors in it...?"
(Other writer)

"I don't know, but lets make an episode on it."
to the other,
"Yea, lets!"

brain.gif

Originally posted by rstaff3
...And I've seen, but not read, the rmr thread. I'd rather do my ranting here, where people won't jump on my case, even if I'm wrong :)
Rgr that! It's amazing just how far rmr will go with a topic. Add the JI (Jerry Irvine) quotient into the mix and.... ;)

There was also an episode of Cold Case earlier this year, guy blew up his wife, he was supposedly into rockets.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Don't remember too much about the episode, anybody else see it?

Back