Anybody know what happened to Micky in Texas...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
And her gargantuan haul of vintage kits? She was all hot to get rid of them, everybody started making offers for the haul or parts thereof, and then she disappears. Was this all some kind of scam, and if so, what kind of scam was it since she never took my money although I offered her $100 for four or so kits and some other bits. I'm just curious at this point even though I know that I'll never get my hands on any other that stuff (and frankly, I just did a count -- I have 30 rockets after only 6 months in this hobby -- time to SLOW DOWN).

I Offered $750 for all. This was after I asked her for a price & she said $3000 for all. I did tell her I would eat my favorite rocket if she got $3000 for all of them, maybe that turned her off....

That was a lot to process in a couple of days- messages exalting prices in the hundreds for some kits, people making offers in the thread, no telling how many PM's. It looked like a frenzy. Add the frustration of not being able to list them here for 14 days. I don't blame her for going silent.

Wednesday will make 14 days, perhaps she will begin posting them here at that time.

What I saw were a *few* very desirable kits, namely the Titan, the Star Wars kits and the boxed Cox kit. I'm no expert in collector prices, but I'd expect $100-$250 at top dollar for those, totally dependent on the market at the moment they're offered. The rest were a bunch of kits that would simply be good sellers, in the $20-$50 range to move them quickly. Or $25-$80 if taking time to research each one individually and price accordingly. Maybe $40-$100 at retail, sitting on them for however long it takes.

Does that sound about right?

When the responses insinuated that Micky had hit the mother lode, she may not have had adequate Nerd Insight to interpret that correctly. A nerdly mother lode of model rockets isn't like finding a garage full of NOS Shelby parts.

I am sure someone gave a deal they could not refuse.

Micky attended a meeting of the Dallas Area Rocket Society yesterday. I understand items changed hands but I missed the party due to being on the IR with a bum knee.

Micky attended a meeting of the Dallas Area Rocket Society yesterday. I understand items changed hands but I missed the party due to being on the IR with a bum knee.
maybe she decided to keep a couple of kits and build one.

Just a heads-up. I recently assisted with the cleanout of a hoarder's storage, in what appears to be a similar situation. (Well, actually even cooler stuff before it got turned to garbage through neglect.) The rubber gloves in the early photos perked up my antenna, and the photos showing black mold growing on boxes confirmed it. You will NEVER get that smell out of the paper and wood parts of these models, let alone the packaging. It may not even be possible to get it out of plastic. So far, I found the musty/moldy smell can really only be removed from metal. Scrub it with a good disinfectant like 409, then wipe it down with WD-40, and you'll be OK. It stays in polymer and paint, and you won't be rid of it, even scrubbing with 409.

I would not have any of those brought into my house if they had a $100 bill added to the package (assuming I had to keep them and couldn't just take out the $100 and throw the rocket in someone else's dumpster). And I'm actually watching one on fleabay right now.

i bought a cosmic explorer on ebay listed as 'perfect condition', turned out the bag was chock full of mold. tubes, lumber, couplers, all of it. everything covered. my anger at the seller manifested into a quest to clean and build the roc shiny new, just out of spite.

first step, i got some 90% alcohol out and doused and wiped and doused and wiped, inside (tubes) and out. worked pretty well. lots of filler and primer. think i'm on the 4th primer coat right now (i go at least a week between coats so it takes me a good while to finish a roc) and it's gonna be fine. after taking on building this kit, i'm disappointed that i thought it was cool in the first place. nothing interesting about it, and the instructions were laughable. i have little regard for slotted tubes and fat basswood fins on small rockets.

i'd take on any moldy kit at this point, if the price was right.

Back