Anybody know anything about spiders?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman248

Reaction score
First off, let me tell you that I am terrified of spiders.

Last night, I was in bed reading, when I saw this big ugly spider across the room. I had never seen this type of spider before, so I wanted a closer look. So I got out my new digital camera with the 40x zoom. Man that sucker was ugly.

The only thing is, now I am curious as to what it is. It has some very cool markings on it. I went online, but I couldn't find anything.

I am thinking about getting in touch with someone who works with spiders. Maybe they can tell me what it is.

Here's a picture. Maybe someone can identify it.

I don't remember the proper name for it, but our area of Ohio has a lot of these. They are a member of the Wolf-Spider family, and are what is typically known as a rogue.

They don't make webbing in the normal sense, since they tend to move around their " home ", searching for a meal on the go - so to speak. Of all the specie of Arachnids, this particular spider can hop large distances, and best of all, they are about the safest spider you'll ever come across. Not to say you want him as a pet, but he is harmless.

They tend to eat fly's, and other small insects, and their territory can be huge.

When I find one of these, I put them outside, unlike those creepy long legged house spiders that tends to inhabit our old basement - they get smashed on the spot.

Cheers,

geepers creepers if i saw that i run a mile:eek: lucky for me we don't get anything remotely as big as that over here in old blighty.

Hehehe. Reminds me of the time when I had a pet tarantula. One day, I went to the cage and the spider was GONE!!! AGH!!!

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well the next few nights. After a while, I began to think he had crawled in a hole and died or something. I do know they'll avoid you if possible, so I didn't worry too much about getting attacked by him.

Well, I moved out about 4 months later. The guy who moved in after I left saw a big ball of brown yarn in his closet one day. He goes to pick it up.....and the thing runs away from him!! I wasn't there to see it, but I'd wager my left arm that the guy needed a change of undies.

At any rate, he caught it, got a tank and kept it for a while. When we went to see it, the guy said he wanted a lizard, so if we wanted it we could have it back. We had it another 5 years before it finally bit the dust.

Jumping spider. We got a million of em here. Not harmful. I used to have a pet tarantula, someone I know has madagascan hissing roaches and 2 tarantulas! Around where I am, we got black widows and brown recluses! Actually, we have never seen a BW in this house but in the summer we find about one recluse a day:eek:. I got arachnophobia, usually i freak out whenever i see a spider. Regardless of what is is, unless it's in a cage.

Originally posted by firemanup
How big is the thing, hard to tell in a picture with no reference...?

The body is probably about 5/8" long.

The really creepy part is, I have no idead where it is now.:eek:

Blue Ninja, if i found a brown recluse everyday, I would move to a different state. Those things are nasty.

I am not freaked about most spiders, except the recluses and widows. But then I'm not excited about any spiders either. In late summer early fall, we get the fairly large tree spiders that like to build webs across our doors and between our trees. The webs on the doors are easy to see and avoid, but in the dark the ones further in the yard are not. I have been know to yell and spazz out when I get snared in a web. The thought of one of those big suckers on me is too much :D.

Quick Air Force story :

Basic training 1983 - week 4, I wake up to the revelry sound, at precisely 5 am, lights pop on, and sit up, put my glasses on and look at my friends bunk. Rub my eyes because what I see can't be. His head was swollen up like a basketball. I immediately checked his pulse, very shallow. Long story short, they took him to the local military hospital, and it turns out he was bitten by...a brown recluse.

Ohio has some Brown Recluse's and some Black Widows, nothing really dangerous here though.

That's why I stay at a house almost full of house spiders during the summer. Those things eat recluses. Also, during the fall that house has HUGE niascona(did i spell it right) spiders hanging around, those eat the moths that also come. I got back from vacation last night and was a little scared of getting in bed. Those recluses are pretty hardy!

living in the basement, I see a lot of spiders. I get bit by some of the harmless ones once in a while... their bites tend to leave a mark for a while.

ick.

hate spiders, really do. But I respect them. If they are out doors I leave them be. best thing for your garden, next to lady bugs :)

My fear of spiders really began when I was 13 and living in florida. I had 3 incidences that set me for life...

one involved these, i called them banana spiders. Body about the size and shape of your pinky finger, with legs about 2" long. Would build webs between telephone poles (yea, TELEPHONE poles!) and would catch birds in their webs. I walked through a web once and the spider took off after me...

2nd event was when I was taking out the garbage and noticed some papers in the bottom of the can. i reached in to get them and felt webs. Pulled my hand out to discover spiders on my hand. I shook them back into the can and emptied a can of raid into the garbage can. I counted over 200 black widow spiders. Was marked as the largest concentration in the state of florida at the time.

last/final incident occured when my mom asked me to plant her new rose bushes in the garden... I'm sitting there in the dirt, digging a hole when I apparently dug into a tarantula hutch. About a dozen of the beasts (about 3-4" across the legs) tore out of that hutch and RIGHT UP MY BODY! They never bit or hurt, they were just trying to get away, but, GEEZ man....!

spiders.
ick.

YECCH! If i got bit by one of those darn widows, I'd probably die of fright instead of the poison!

silverleaf is correct, its a type of "wolf" spider. He is also right that it wont hurt you, but it will bite at night when your asleep...not that you wanted to hear that, lol.... they are hunters by nature and spin no webs. VERY fast buggers too.
The spider has probably moved on by now, so you can sleep tight.

Originally posted by jflis

My fear of spiders really began when I was 13 and living in florida. I had 3 incidences that set me for life...

Dude...

If any one of those things ever happened to me, I think I'd be scarred for life. Just reading about it's gonna give me nightmares for the next week.

Stephen

Spiders don't really bother me. if we find one in the house we catch it and put it in the yard. the garage has some cobwebs and quite a few spiders in it - and no flies!! even the spiders in the Harry Potter movie didn't bother me.

but man, last night watching "Return of the King", that big spider, that did get to me!! aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!! <shiver>

Originally posted by Silverleaf
Quick Air Force story :

Basic training 1983 - week 4, I wake up to the revelry sound, at precisely 5 am, lights pop on, and sit up, put my glasses on and look at my friends bunk. Rub my eyes because what I see can't be. His head was swollen up like a basketball. I immediately checked his pulse, very shallow. Long story short, they took him to the local military hospital, and it turns out he was bitten by...a brown recluse.

Ohio has some Brown Recluse's and some Black Widows, nothing really dangerous here though.

A brown recluse would only cause a reaction like that if the guy had an alergic reaction. Normally he would just develop a rash and the skin and flesh would rot away around the bite area until there was a nasty hole in his body. There isnt much that can be done to treat recluse bites and the venom can stay in the body for quite some time preventing healing of the region.

I agree that the first spider looks like a typical harmless jumping spider, those little guys are quite fast :) We have a pretty good variety of spider here in Virginia, including the Brown Recluse and Black Widow. If you want to see something nasty, I found a Woodlouse Hunter in my house once, the fangs are enormous for a spider this size..

https://entomology.unl.edu/images/spiders/dysdera1.jpg

Here are some pictures of more serious recluse bites.
*Warning - These images may be disturbing for some.*
https://www.brownreclusespider.net/BitePhotos.htm

we have some weird spiders here, some look just like the one you took a picture of. If you poke them they jump so I refer to them a jumping spiders. Sometimes in the summer I will catch ants or moths and throw them to a similar spider that builds a nest with a tube. That is on the really dull days thoughy ;)

an interesting fact; sometimes when we are sleeping bugs, including spiders, crawl into our mouths and we end up swallowing them :eek:

an interesting fact; sometimes when we are sleeping bugs, including spiders, crawl into our mouths and we end up swallowing them :eek: [/B]

Mmmm, mmmm, good! Tastes just like chikin :)

This news is even worse for class 3 vegans!

Crap!!! Those are some BIG fangs! Nick, if I find one of THOSE in my house, I won't be moving to teh next state, I will be moving to the next hemisphere! Do those woodlouse hunters live in KS?

Originally posted by jflis
ick.
one involved these, i called them banana spiders. Body about the size and shape of your pinky finger, with legs about 2" long. Would build webs between telephone poles (yea, TELEPHONE poles!) and would catch birds in their webs. I walked through a web once and the spider took off after me...

2nd event was when I was taking out the garbage and noticed some papers in the bottom of the can. i reached in to get them and felt webs. Pulled my hand out to discover spiders on my hand. I shook them back into the can and emptied a can of raid into the garbage can. I counted over 200 black widow spiders. Was marked as the largest concentration in the state of florida at the time.

last/final incident occured when my mom asked me to plant her new rose bushes in the garden... I'm sitting there in the dirt, digging a hole when I apparently dug into a tarantula hutch. About a dozen of the beasts (about 3-4" across the legs) tore out of that hutch and RIGHT UP MY BODY! They never bit or hurt, they were just trying to get away, but, GEEZ man....!

spiders.
ick.

Holy jumping catfish! That black widow story is pure nightmare fuel! I can't stand the sight of even one of them.

I hate walking into spider webs, too. We have some big, ugly, shiny brown "orb spinner" spiders here, at least I think that's the right name. In the fall at dusk they make beautiful huge webs. Unfortunately they often build them across pathways, between trees or poles, etc where people are likely to blunder into them. The spider sits right in the middle of the web and each year at that time the local doctor's offices get quite a few people with painful spider bites on their faces, necks, arms etc.

Something else I hate is when I'm sitting at the computer and suddenly some nasty looking spider descends from the ceiling, right in front of my face!

Tarantulas don't both me too much, mainly because they are pretty slow and stay on the ground. Also they are so big and shaggy, they're almost more like an animal than a spider. Sometimes on warm evenings I see them walking in the road, and whenever possible I try to shoo them off the road so they won't be run over. Once I tried that with a large one who was rather stubborn and wouldn't go the right direction, so I let him crawl onto my shoe and then carefully walked over to the side of the road with him. Trouble was, he didn't stop on my shoe, but crawled up my leg! By the time I got to the side of the road where I could safely dump him, he was almost to my waist!

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
so I let him crawl onto my shoe and then carefully walked over to the side of the road with him. Trouble was, he didn't stop on my shoe, but crawled up my leg! By the time I got to the side of the road where I could safely dump him, he was almost to my waist!

Yer nuts! That's all i've got to say!:eek:

Originally posted by Maelstrom
If you want to see something nasty, I found a Woodlouse Hunter in my house once, the fangs are enormous for a spider this size..

https://entomology.unl.edu/images/spiders/dysdera1.jpg

Aaaccckkkk!!!! Geez, that thing is nasty looking! How big is it? Those fangs are huge!

In the desert I sometimes come across something sepulgid, aka "barrel spider" or "wind scorpion". They are super aggressive and attack everything. They're fast, have big powerful jaws, and get big enough to eat lizards. They are also ugly enough they could star in an "alien" or "predator" type of movie. Here's what they look like, plus a bit of info about them:

https://kaweahoaks.com/html/wind_scorpian.htm

https://kaweahoaks.com/html/argiope_aurantia.html

This is the spider of choice in my garden...Thses things make an egg sack that is 1"-1.5" in dia. The spider itself can get 2.5"-3" across the legs. Fast on the attack when taking out grasshoppers and wasps.

Neat trick! when you find one of those pristine webs, shoo the spider away, then spray the web with hairspray. Then carefully take a piece of Black construction paper and pull it through the web. This saves the web on paper, and the hairspray acts as an adhesive...you can't draw a more perfect work of art.

Originally posted by Rocketman248
First off, let me tell you that I am terrified of spiders.

Last night, I was in bed reading, when I saw this big ugly spider across the room. I had never seen this type of spider before, so I wanted a closer look. So I got out my new digital camera with the 40x zoom. Man that sucker was ugly.

The only thing is, now I am curious as to what it is. It has some very cool markings on it. I went online, but I couldn't find anything.

I am thinking about getting in touch with someone who works with spiders. Maybe they can tell me what it is.

Here's a picture. Maybe someone can identify it.

I know it's creepy lookin...does that help?:D

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
https://kaweahoaks.com/html/argiope_aurantia.html

This is the spider of choice in my garden...Thses things make an egg sack that is 1"-1.5" in dia. The spider itself can get 2.5"-3" across the legs. Fast on the attack when taking out grasshoppers and wasps.

I walked into one of those webs at NARAM in Indiana. I was walking through the cattails to go get one of my rockets when I brushed up against a spiderweb. I didn't look to see what it was. On the way back, I saw that I had come about 1/2" from having that enourmous spider on my arm.:eek: I probably would have puked and gone home right then.:rolleyes:

That hairspray trick.... Around halloween there were some funnelweb webs around, and as a good prop: Spray them with dark red krylon followed by krylon clear coat. It looks really cool.

Ya know, I really think that looks like a jumping spider because of the bands on the legs. How big was it compared to a coin?

Back