anybody have experience with Estes MAV?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I bought one to launch with C6 motors on a small field, that's about all that Estes recommends for it. When I got it I thought it seemed small and light for only C6 motors, especially on a small field. I saw one launched on B6 but I didn't notice how high it went and I didn't get to ask the owner about it. I can't find a sim file for it anywhere. Has anybody else tried one on a B6 ?

I've launched my son's MAV plenty of times. Flies well on an C6-3, NEVER use an C6-5 - the rocket broke the shock cord that way, and it was impossible to replace. I've also used an C5-3, no issues. Once I tried an Quest C12-4, but it flew strangely, which I now attribute to a bad motor.

Its very draggy, so it doesn't go that high on an C6-3. A little less on the C5-3. Definitely put a large spillhole in the parachute.

I've flown mine on B6-4 and C6-3, Bill S is right, mine didn't like the C6-5 either. I don't remember if I've flown it on a C5-3 and I'm pretty sure I haven't used any QJets in it (yet).
Mine is a tree-seeker, I've flown it several times and at least half of those were recovered from trees. the other half it was right on the treeline. Hopefully yours is dendrophobic.

Back