anybody had to file a claim with paypal?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjphoenix

Reaction score
I bought an item off of our sales forum about 4 weeks ago and have not received it yet. I have tried to contact the seller numerous times and have only gotten one email back from him within this time. He has provided several excuses including a birthday party, a funeral, and problems with his paypal account. He has been active on this board but no posts in the past 4 weeks or so. I thought I remembered that you had to file a claim with paypal within 30 days so I'm about ready to do that. I haven't filed a claim before so I need suggestions for how to do that.

I bought an item off of our sales forum about 4 weeks ago and have not received it yet. I have tried to contact the seller numerous times and have only gotten one email back from him within this time. He has provided several excuses including a birthday party, a funeral, and problems with his paypal account. He has been active on this board but no posts in the past 4 weeks or so. I thought I remembered that you had to file a claim with paypal within 30 days so I'm about ready to do that. I haven't filed a claim before so I need suggestions for how to do that.

Log on to PayPal.

Read their information and follow their directions.

Ignore any bogus advice from message board or forum posts because ONLY the official PayPal information will be useful if you wish to get your money.

Yes i have Paypal is AWESOME about this stuff. they have a couple small hoops to jump through, BUT if you are in the right they will take care of you!

As long as it's the seller's fault and not theirs, it should be easy. As Fred said, follow their instructions to file a dispute.

As long as it's the seller's fault

I sent the payment, the seller did not send the merchandise. I think that is pretty obvious.

Is it bad form to tell who the seller is here? He hasn't posted anything for sale recently but I don't want anyone else to pay and not get their merchandise.

Before giving names ,I would wait a little longer ,but do file a complaint with Paypal ASAP.

But I would post their name here without a doubt,as people should be warned.

This person probably would not try to post in the buy & sell forums anytime soon ,if at all after pulling a scam or two.

With all the technology out there this day and age ,there are not too many good excuses to be had.

All the best !

Paul T

I did a paypay / eBay claim. Seller 'disappeared' with no contact - had a good history of 100% and hundreds of transactions. Several people had this issue (about 20 items sold). Wasn't sure uf the person died, or went into the hospital, jail, etc.

Got the $50 or so refunded without issue. Some items were over $1000 - no clue if everyone got money back or not.

I did a paypay / eBay claim. Seller 'disappeared' with no contact - had a good history of 100% and hundreds of transactions. Several people had this issue (about 20 items sold). Wasn't sure uf the person died, or went into the hospital, jail, etc.

Got the $50 or so refunded without issue. Some items were over $1000 - no clue if everyone got money back or not.
Before bidding on anything, try to pay attention to what kind of items the seller has sold in the past and whether or not the seller has been dormant for an extended period of time in the recent past. Sometimes, an account currently not in use gets hacked into and the hacker sets up fake listings, collects, and then disappears. Good indicators for this type of scam are things such as rocketry items for sale under a user name that previously sold only porcelain dolls, and/or a seller that used to sell hundreds of items per year and then stopped selling for a few years before listing a handful of expensive items.

Also, I try to find some excuse to contact the seller directly before bidding if I feel there is more than a slight chance it could be bogus. Ask specifics on the item's condition, clarify payment or return policy, etc. Scammers rarely respond to communications, and when they do, the (usually vague) language often gives a hint that something is fishy.

Before bidding on anything, try to pay attention to what kind of items the seller has sold in the past and whether or not the seller has been dormant for an extended period of time in the recent past. Sometimes, an account currently not in use gets hacked into and the hacker sets up fake listings, collects, and then disappears. Good indicators for this type of scam are things such as rocketry items for sale under a user name that previously sold only porcelain dolls, and/or a seller that used to sell hundreds of items per year and then stopped selling for a few years before listing a handful of expensive items.

Also, I try to find some excuse to contact the seller directly before bidding if I feel there is more than a slight chance it could be bogus. Ask specifics on the item's condition, clarify payment or return policy, etc. Scammers rarely respond to communications, and when they do, the (usually vague) language often gives a hint that something is fishy.

Good advice. Most of the stuff was pretty random overall. These made it a full 7 day listing without the owner knowing if it was hacked. Most of my purchases are buy it now types from stores. The shipping always seems lower (or free) on the one small item, than going through a website.

Anyone remember where Jonesy was from?

Jonesy ???????

Is that guy still around ? And more importantly ,he`s still alive :kill:

I would have thought that dude had a contract out on his worthless life.He used to ripp off guys on various modeling forums and then some.

WOW

Paul T

I'm in the midst of a claim. The seller (Sons of Liberty Press) never shipped a book that I ordered and never responded to emails. First, you have to file a dispute. If nothing comes of it, you escalate it to a claim. PayPal gave the seller a deadline for a response. I don't know what will happen if they don't respond. Will find out after 1/23.

Back