Anybody going to see Ares I - X launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Selene

Roving Rocketeer
Reaction score
I'm sitting here in Lakeland, FL and debating if I should spend money on a Hotel room and try to see the launch Tuesday or Just get headed back to New Orleans and get to work.

So, any TRFers planing on seeing it?

I'll probably watch from my driveway... ;)

But I'll pass along an interesting piece of semi-SPAM I
received the other day (still don't know how they got my address).

Vicky Santamaria
Sales Manager
Best Western Ocean Beach Hotel & Suites
Days Inn Cocoa Beach Pier
Cocoa Beach, Florida
321-783-7621 Ext. 2492
800-962-0028 X-366
Ask for the "Ares Launch Rate" - $79.99

No connection, and no implied recommendation...

Last edited:
I'll be at the press site- I was there for the roll-out too.

Hopefully from my backyard...(Tampa Bay) :clap:
We'll probably have way too many people at work trying to watch it online, maxing out the network's bandwidth. (I work at ATK Space.)

I'd suggest watching on Spaceflightnow.com but keep in mind that currently there is a 60% chance of a weather violation for tomorrow morning- only 40% for Wed.

I'll probably try to see it from my front yard or office window. Unlike the recent shuttle launches, this launch has a long window. It can be launched any time from 7 am to 11 am. So, if you head over there to watch it, you could be waiting a long time before they call a scrub due to weather.

So, will this the first unmanned launch from KSC since Skylab?

-- Roger

I'll probably try to see it from my front yard or office window. Unlike the recent shuttle launches, this launch has a long window. It can be launched any time from 7 am to 11 am. So, if you head over there to watch it, you could be waiting a long time before they call a scrub due to weather.

So, will this the first unmanned launch from KSC since Skylab?

-- Roger

A little bit of trivia perhaps...but Complex 41 United Launch Alliances (Atlas V) has been launching there since 2003 and before that Lockheed Martin used it for Titan III and IV.

The launch site actually is located just inside KSC property north of CCAFS, but is oversaw by the USAF.

GlobalSecurity.org NASA and the Department of Defense signed an agreement in January 1963 which acknowledged the Air Force's jurisdiction over all TITAN III construction at the north end of Cape Canaveral. Though TITAN Complex 41 extended across the Cape Canaveral boundary into NASA's territory on Merritt Island, all property within Complex 41's security fence and along the access road to the site was considered part of the Air Force's Titan III program.

Back