Anybody ever use "godaddy.com"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrustline

Reaction score
I am looking at the possiblity of starting a new website from scratch. I would like a little design flexability and can cut and paste some html but can not desing from scratch.

Anyone ever use godaddy for a web host and design?

Thanks,
JR

The one I have is Hostgator.com. Pretty decent and never had an issue with it.

GoDaddy charges a lot for their hosting services, when you can go a lot cheaper elsewhere. Design, I couldn't tell you, I've always done my own.

Which reminds me, I really need to get the Mystical Rockets site done, even if its just for previews.

I use them to register domain names, but not for hosting.

-Kevin

Have you checked with your internet provider? Most have a certain amount of space available for customers.

As for designing a website, I think you could use MS Word in a pinch. I think it has the capability of saving in html format. Even OpenOffice on my linux box can save in html format and even has a "Preview in Web Browser" option.

I use them for my site. It's reasonably easy to set up, and a pretty good value. They shopping cart product isn't very well integrated with the general purpose web page creation product.

I am looking at the possiblity of starting a new website from scratch. I would like a little design flexability and can cut and paste some html but can not desing from scratch.

Thanks,
JR

Yes, I'm building a bunch of sites on GoDaddy now.

Their admin interface takes a lot of getting used to. But I really like the price and what you get for it. I've got one account and can set up many separate domains and subdomains, use both ASP.NET 3.5 and PHP 5, have two SQL Server DBs and 25 MySql DBs. I'm about to move a couple of domains from other much more expensive and/or limited hosts to this account. If you prefer just Linux, they have a boat load of applications that are installed through a pretty decent interface.

Their customer service is pretty much OK. I was at first frustrated with them, but it turned out the problem was a routing snafu out of my ISP, so to them, everything looked fine (and was).

I have developed all my (2) websites using Joomla and open source content management system (CMS) framework. It's pretty cool. You can really do a lot without writing a single line of html, javascript, or php code. I understand that this is the same framework that Rocketry Planet is based upon.

Tim

I deal with hosting and domain registration on a daily basis. I'd stay away from godaddy for domain registration, too many issues. Going cheap has a price...

This web site lists some of the things that you may run into :

https://nodaddy.com/

Marc

My wife and I have our domains hosted at Godaddy, but we are signed up with Bluehost for our own website rebuilds. We went from $240 a year to $95 a year...with todays economy, that makes perfect sense.

Check em out, they seem really on top of things for the money (as low as $6.95 a month):

https://www.bluehost.com/

i USE 1&1 For my hosting they have a simple design tool with lots of good templates if I remember right I do my stuff myself though . Godaddy I only use for domains names .

We use GoDaddy for one of our work websites - it seemed the best of the bunch overall for linux hosting from the handful of companies we shortlisted. Not had any major problems as yet (4yrs) - a few minor hic-ups but they were very efficient in sorting them out.

I like InMotionHosting. They have plans starting at $6.95 (or $3.00, but you don't want those), and they have some of the best support I have ever encountered. I have occasionally emailed them at 1am before going to bed, and hen I wake up the next morning, I find out that they sent a response at 3am. The turn-around time is about the same no matter what time of day it is. Also, when I have a problem, they almost always fix it on the first try (instead of giving me a useless canned response).

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/hostingplans.html

I have used GoDaddy for years to host various sites from my personal rocketry website, www.scalerocketry.com , to Tripoli Mid Ohio's website, www.tripolimidohio.org , to a flyrcjets.com website and their service is great. I currently have credits to use, where I get basic hosting service for free, which these days is all I really need anyway.

I have developed all my (2) websites using Joomla and open source content management system (CMS) framework. It's pretty cool. You can really do a lot without writing a single line of html, javascript, or php code. I understand that this is the same framework that Rocketry Planet is based upon.

Tim

Dittos -- I did my rocketry website using Joomla. I've got less than ~ 2 days of effort -- 1 day for the basics, and about a day of add-ons over time. The cool part of Joomla is that if you want to add a shopping cart, or drop in a YouTube module, or almost anthing you can imagine, there are plug-ins available. It is all open source, so lots of good free stuff, and I am sure some awesome stuff you pay a small fee for (so far, I've used all free stuff.).

I did a website at work in HTML, using Dreamweaver, which is pretty nice for HTML pages, but I just do not have the time to become a web guru. Joomla takes a little getting used to, since you are writing content that gets dropped into preset templates, but there is a ton of help out there, just for the asking. And if you want to start customizing, and editing HTML, you can.

Thanks,
JR
if you're really a beginner, try using google pages.

I strongly recommend registering your domain name with a different company than you host with. Doing so allows you to change either company without a potential interruption of service.

If you host and register with the same company, and you decide you want to change web hosts, you have to tell the old company fairly early in the process (since you'll want your domain name pointed at your new host) but it might take three days for the transition to complete. During the transition period, the old hosting provider can screw with you...

If you have them separate, the domain registrar won't care (has no profit motive) when you change web hosts, and you don't have to tell the old host you are changing until AFTER the transition is over. With a domain registrar change, you don't have to transition web hosts while also changing names (well worth it in my experience).

Total cost to do it my way? $10-$15 per year. Honestly, not much of a problem for most people.

Last edited:
Back