Anybody ever build an Estes Gryphon and was it a good build?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimboshop99

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I'm thinking about getting an Estes Gryphon but I can't find a review of it on rocketreviews or on this forum.
Is the Gryphon good or should I save my $$$$ and get something else instead?

I built both a Semroc Swift and an Edmonds Deltie B years ago (rebuilding the Deltie B currently) and also an Estes Eagle (ok build, nothing special).

Thanks,
Jim

By "good" do you mean will it put in long, competition-level glide times, or do you mean is it an easy uncomplicated build? To the first question I'd say no, it's more of a fun sport flyer. It uses 13 mm motors and is a bit heavier then your Deltie B, which uses 18 mm motors. (I've built/flown the eRockets Bluejay, which is as close to a clone of the Deltie B as you'll get, and it's a surprisingly good glider).

To the second question I'd say it's a fast, easy build using foolproof tab-and-slot construction to ensure it goes together straight and critical angles (like the canard's incidence) are exact. Just my opinion from downloading the instruction sheet, and I'd also be interested in an evaluation by someone who's already built and flown one.

Last edited:
If you're still considering getting the Gryphon, ASP Rocketry has it on sale this week for $11.99, regularly $18.99. rocketry.com/ecommerce/Gryphon-Boost-Glider-Model-Rocket-Kit-Estes-.cfm?item_id=1350&parent=140&navPanel=

Just ordered one from AC. Will do a build post when it gets here. I'm trying to get back into gliders this year, and this looks like a good (easy) way to start. Will also be putting my own designs up.

Built a Gryphon about a month ago. Great little kit and a very easy build. Goes together with precision, as one would expect from a laser cut kit. Wood was a bit on the heavy side, but fine for a sport BG like this.

To keep it fairly light, the finish was one coat of Deft lacquer sanding sealer and one coat of Krylon Short Cuts dayglow orange, just enough paint to keep bare balsa from being visible.

Have not yet test glided it. To make CG, it needs a tiny bit of ballast at the rear of the fuse.
The hook system looks like it should work fine.

Was tempted to fill in the space in the middle of the wing, for more area and a lower wing loading, but left it stock. I did make some templates, for future upscales and replacement gliders.

Hope to maiden it at a DARS launch soon and will report back.

Attachments

• 9BEEBE1F-3E3D-4067-B989-29F10FC01A49.jpeg
    9BEEBE1F-3E3D-4067-B989-29F10FC01A49.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 70F81BD0-EFC9-443F-A7B5-8B0A457768FF.jpeg
    70F81BD0-EFC9-443F-A7B5-8B0A457768FF.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I have built a Gryphon and flown it twice. I doubt it will win competitions but it's a fairly easy build and easy to get to glide well. Just be sure to weight-trim it as you would any glider and go light on the paint, and use the umbilical mast that comes with the kit to mount your leads so they don't hit the glider. Both of my flights on A3-4T's got good flights out of the glider that were fun to watch.

It's worth noting that on the second flight, I'm not sure what happened but the glider tumbled through the sky after ejection until it was about halfway down, and then self-recovered and started gliding.

My son got one. It was a fun quick build test glides were promising. But have not got a chance to launch it yet.

Back