Any word on new Estes kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjp

Reaction score
Anyone heard any news on the new Estes kits, especially the Spaceship One, Canadian Arrow, and Scissor-Wing re-release?

The containers are due to arrive on the 18th of November and the 30th of November.

They will NOT reach the stores before December 15th.

THAT is the latest INSIDE info!

[I posted this at the same time as Sandman's msg. Obviously there is a discrepancy here, so take what I learned from the distributor's sales person with a grain of salt.]

I spoke with AC Supply Co yesterday regarding my Estes back order which included Space Ship One, Canadian Arrow among others.

Apparantly, the X-prize models will be delayed by another 3-4+ weeks due to a trademark/name issue. The helpful AC Supply sales person said that Estes now has all the kits in hand but there was a last minute legal problem that was related to Virgin Airway's investment in Scaled Composites. Apparently, the trademark or name needs to be updated but their lawyers haven't finished their work yet.

The salesperson implied that this affected all the X-prize model but this doesn't make sense since the Virgin investment was just in Space Ship One.

In any case, it's probably worth a call to Estes to clarify the situation.

Hoping they'll arrive by Christmas!

-- Jim

The helpful AC Supply sales person said that Estes now has all the kits in hand but there was a last minute legal problem that was related to Virgin Airway's

WRONG!

Sounds like they don't want to lose your order to me.

My information comes directly from Estes!

They DO NOT have the kits in hand and won't for at least another 9 to 22 days yet! And that's a MINIMUM time!

This is NOT a rumor or a sales pitch!

They may even be delayed more in customs.

I am sitting here in Long Beach CA (working at Boeing the former McDonnell Douglas). There are 2 huge ports near here: Long Beach and Los Angeles. The container ships full of Christmas goods are lined up off shore and cannot get offloaded and through customs fast enough.

Part of the "just in time" method of doing business. You may save $$ having stuff made in China, but only if you can get it in time to sell it.

Luckily the parts I work on arrive by air (and still have to go through customs at LAX) or by truck.

Flyer is online at ye olde rocket shoppe (and has been for well over a month or two).

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/

Photos of actual model were supposed to be online by now, but the guy who took the photos sent them to a second guy who was supposed to load them into a YahooGroup photo folder on SoCalRockets group. Folder is there (Hobbyvisions), but photos are not.

Originally posted by GL-P
Nice, anyone have a picture of the kit?

Originally posted by GL-P
Nice, anyone have a picture of the kit?

https://www.rebar-rocketry.com/products/Estes/Estes Canadian Arrow Model Rocket.htm

An "artist's rendition" supplied by Estes. I hope the X Prize decal isn't that big in the kit. It's way oversized in this picture.

The Canadian Arrow site has a couple scale models displayed:
https://www.canadianarrow.com/scalemodels.htm. They even have a Rocksim file for it. However, it and the LOC V2 conversion shown, are not to scale. The real bird is exactly 10 times longer than its diameter.

I think it's interesting to note that Estes didn't make the Canadian Arrow with an "E" mount, when this rocket would be perfectly suited for it. I wonder if Estes is reconsidering the E9 motor, at least in the long run.

Thanks for the info., everyone. At least I know now what NOT to put on my Christmas list.

-Snif!- First the huge Polar Lights NCC-1701A, and now THIS! What's a 42-year-old kid gonna do?!

Hey Shreadvector!
Maybe on one of those nice warm California days you could get a boat and go check out some of those container ships? Just a thought. :D

I just returned from visiting my local hobby shop and picked up three of the new Estes X-Prize kits (Sorry, they didn't have Space Ship One yet).

Here's a picture of the Rubicon:

The hobby shop also had two of the smaller kits for sale: Lucky Seven & Gauchito.

And here is the backside of the Lucky Seven and Gauchito packaging.

Aw, Nuts! I just realized I forgot to pick up a Scissor Wing Transport they had on a peg! :(

Originally posted by n3tjm
Is it just me, or it looks like Estes changed their parachute colors in those kits?

Yes.

The Rubicon has a red & black colored parachute. I'm not sure what the pattern is for the 'chute.

The small kits have yellow & black parachutes which appear to have a checkerboard pattern.

All three kits have rubber shock cords instead of elastic.

Originally posted by Initiator001

Yep, I bought and assembled a new Firestreak SST snap together kit and that came with a rubber shock cord. Even after two flights, it isn't showing any wear.

I guess Estes finally got tired of customers complaining about the elastic cords.

I had the firestreak. I finally super glued it together to prevent it from coming apart. I didn't use the decal, well I did at first but it went on so ugly I took it off and repainted the whole thing. I ended up getting 8 launches out of the bugger but it was continuously being fixed. The last launch had it lawn dart beautifully, splitting right down either side and buried in the earth. A fitting end,, chuckle..

Yes.

The Rubicon has a red & black colored parachute. I'm not sure what the pattern is for the 'chute.

The small kits have yellow & black parachutes which appear to have a checkerboard pattern.

The parachutes from the 60's were checkerboard pattern in red & black, yellow & black, orange & black, red & white, orange & white, and red & yellow.

Okay. I went back to my local hobby shop and bought the re-issue of the Scissor Wing Transport.

Here's the front of the packaging:

Here's a look at the back of the packaging.

Note the BROWN kraft paper body tubes.

The wing pivot mechanism is 6-8 white plastic pieces (I have yet to open the packaging).

Here's a look at the back of the packaging.

Note the BROWN kraft paper body tubes.

The wing pivot mechanism is 6-8 white plastic pieces (I have yet to open the packaging).

The Brown tubes were alway sturdier than the white tubes.

I need to get one of those. ;)

How long will it take to get to the East coast???

Originally posted by BobH48
The Brown tubes were alway sturdier than the white tubes.

I need to get one of those. ;)

How long will it take to get to the East coast???

I'd like to know that too. I definately want to get one of those babies to go with my Orbital Transport.:D

Spaceship 1 and the other models must be in the "other" container!:D

I just checked the two hobby shops in my area earlier today and they didn't have them yet but I'm sure they'll be in soon.

It appears that the Gauchito, Lucky Seven, Rubicon, and the Scissorwing were the first four released.

Hopefully the others will be out soon.

Figures that the Canadian Arrow would be late. I put on on my Christmas list. :(

Rebar Rocketry (www.rebarrocketry.com) is taking preorders for the new kits. I've ordered two scissorwing transports and a spaceshipone. Although it was supposed to be here in early November, obviously that isn't going to happen. My son's scissorwing transport will be moved to the Christmas list.

RR has a decent site if you haven't visited. Check out their designer set and compare it to Estes.

Da Dog

Back