Any word on availability of Estes Great Goblin?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not scratch it? 😁
As always, it’s all about the cones! Estes is using the same nose cone for the GG as they used for DBRM - part number 072304 - and it isn’t currently available separately. There was some low-level kvetching about the shapes not being exactly the same, the Goblin uses the 55AO cone while Der Red Max uses the 60AH cone - DBRM cone is a close enough for hobby-work upscale of the AH cone but not exactly the same as the AO. But obviously close enough to an upsized AO cone for Estes - and me, even though I have plenty kits on hand I’ll add a Great Goblin to the pile eventually 😆

So buy (another) entire Der Big Red Max kit now just to have a GG early? Eh, I’ll just wait…but YMMV, this is all just for fun and all…

As always, it’s all about the cones! Estes is using the same nose cone for the GG as they used for DBRM - part number 072304 - and it isn’t currently available separately. There was some low-level kvetching about the shapes not being exactly the same, the Goblin uses the 55AO cone while Der Red Max uses the 60AH cone - DBRM cone is a close enough for hobby-work upscale of the AH cone but not exactly the same as the AO. But obviously close enough to an upsized AO cone for Estes - and me, even though I have plenty kits on hand I’ll add a Great Goblin to the pile eventually 😆

So buy (another) entire Der Big Red Max kit now just to have a GG early? Eh, I’ll just wait…but YMMV, this is all just for fun and all…

I've been looking at that picture in the catalog and I think there's a chance it's a new nosecone. The ratio of length to width from the image is 3.848:1. DBRM is 4.125:1 (measuring the one next to me). I could be off a tiny bit.

The Goblin is a ratio of 3.77:1 if my measurements are right. GG is closer to that than a DBRM.

The catalog could just be a nice photoshop job too. Would seem crazy to make a whole new nosecone if the DBRM cone is close enough.

LOC makes the goblin in 4.0", 5.5" and 7.5"

https://locprecision.com/products/loc-goblin?_pos=1&_sid=fd3f7c4c3&_ss=rhttps://locprecision.com/products/lc-goblin55?_pos=5&_sid=fd3f7c4c3&_ss=rhttps://locprecision.com/products/goblin75?_pos=3&_sid=fd3f7c4c3&_ss=r
If you don't want to wait for Estes to release it, I'd look for the nose cone only #72304. They seem to popup on Market Place from time to time. I've snagged a couple of them. All you need then is a 3" tube from Estes #31799 and to cut your oven fins.

Worst case you could buy the DBRM kit for the nose cone.

Last edited:
For me, it's not a Goblin if the cone isn't right.

It's possible that the Estes kit will direct painting a lower portion of the NC yellow to keep the apparent fineness ratio like the original.
That's what the catalog art seems to suggest, and likely what I will do once it's available. Not ideal, but good enough, and better than the pointed nose cones used in most upscale kits. The nice thing about this, and the Estes 3" DBRM is they're light enough to fly quite well on the E & F BP motors.

Any idea of when this kit will be available?
I remember hearing "June", but that's my guess. When it's available, I hope it doesn't sell out in a single day, because the Doorknob seems to do that. Estes needs to make at least 1000 to 2000 units, as I suspect demand will be very very high for this particular kit.

I was talking with someone over the weekend that mentioned June/July release. I'm not waiting around for Estes to release it. I was fortune enough to get a couple of the Der Big Red Max kits from the sale this weekend. I only wanted the nose cones so I figured the $12 was worth the price. The kits will be broken down for parts to use in upcoming upscale builds including a 3.0" Goblin.

Build coming soon.

Last edited:
Lets hope we see a few more Pro Series options. Their current line of Pro Series kits doesn't really do anything for me. What I'm really hoping to see from this is an increase in the availability of Pro Series parts. If we could get them to at least continue with the tubes, cones and couplers that are currently available, I'd be happy.

Back