Any welders out there?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Looking to build my first tensegrity table.
What do yous build for art work?

Since I'd never heard of one before, I had to look it up... very cool.
1635174121124.png
I'm not that good a welder, though with a MIG, I can fake it pretty well. If I was to try something artistic, it would be a gate, like Bob Dylan does. Eventually I will be blacksmithing, then I hope to make pretty things.

I can stick stuff together; been "welding" since I was a kid. I built my own maple syrup evaporator and it works well and has held up.

Stuck some old bike cassette sprockets together to make a lamp for my son's room too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20151219_163511.jpg
    IMG_20151219_163511.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20171014_112653.jpg
    IMG_20171014_112653.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20171014_112706.jpg
    IMG_20171014_112706.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20171014_112558.jpg
    IMG_20171014_112558.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 21
Since I'd never heard of one before, I had to look it up... very cool.
View attachment 487191
I'm not that good a welder, though with a MIG, I can fake it pretty well. If I was to try something artistic, it would be a gate, like Bob Dylan does. Eventually I will be blacksmithing, then I hope to make pretty things.
Good luck with it.
Dont wait. I'm 63 and playing catch up with ALL the otjer hobby and creations I've dreamed of making foreeveeeerrrrr

I can stick stuff together; been "welding" since I was a kid. I built my own maple syrup evaporator and it works well and has held up.

Stuck some old bike cassette sprockets together to make a lamp for my son's room too :)
Nice..you vape? 😆

Built many things over the years. I have a stick and MIG welder currently. Also brazed and welded with OxyAcetylene in the past, including directly welding Aluminium.

I have made sidesteps, cargo barriers, roofracks and a hydraulic-drive winch for my 4WD. Also made a 14' wide gate for my driveway and some wrought-iron style balustrading for the verandah (including galvanising and powdeercoating).

This was a coffee table I whipped up about 22 years ago. Includes sandstone, copper paint, glass top and has brass features, Finished in a copper and iron oxide patina paint:
Table.jpg
Excuse the bad lighting for the photography. Currently filled with aboriginal artifacts, fossils, rocks and minerals.

Welding is something I don't do very often so I need a bit of practice to get back into the rhythm. Once I have a bit of practice I can get down to about 25A on the stick.

I learned about tensegrity watching Lego videos (because unlike wood, metal and clay, Lego bricks are reusable, easy to work with, compact, clean, can be resold, good for prototyping, and some people can make really unbelivable things with them).
LEGO-tensegrity-sculpture-feature-image-04172020.jpg
My point is that welding can allow building really nice useful things, but it's not a requirement for tensegrity.

Last edited:
I learned about tensegrity watching Lego videos (because unlike wood, metal and clay, Lego bricks are reusable, easy to work with, compact, clean, can be resold, good for prototyping, and some people can make really unbelivable things with them).
View attachment 487360
My point is that welding can allow building really nice useful things, but it's not a requirement for tensegrity.
Yes, I actually thought of making a small one out of wood first.
I have some lighting jack chain handy and some reclaimed finished wood slats from a bed.
Then mix and match the two once I get the jist.

I haven't welded in a few decades. Stick and MIG. I never was good at it but the welds held and did what I needed them to do. I'm about to embark on learning to TIG weld, steel and aluminum for now.

Back