Any volunteers to run AeroFinSim on my rocket design?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinT

Reaction score
I could use some help. I would like to run AeroFinSim on my L3 design, but I do not have a copy, and I am curious to the flutter velocity it would calculate. Attached is the rocksim file. Fin Material is FR4, 3/16" thick. Motor will be an M1939W and if it holds together, a later launch on an O3400. Let me know if more info is needed. Thank you for your support.

Attachments

• Level 3 Rocket 5.5 Version 7 Trapezoidal longer fins Ver 4.rkt
    132 KB · Views: 5
Kevin,
Attached is the FinSim anaylsis for your fin design. I marked the two velocities that you need to consider; Theoretical Velocity, and Velocity with a 25% Safety Factor. The G10 material is your FR4. I used 3,000 ft. as the max. velocity altitude. Sorry, but I got a little lazy on checking what altitude the max. velocity is at per your RockSim and RASAero simulations.

Theoretical Velocity : 1191 ft/sec

Velocity with 25% Safety Factor : 953 ft/sec

This analysis is from John Cipolla's Excel spreadsheet version of his fancier FinSim program. The fancy version and the spreadsheet give you all the same numbers. Please note that I used 2,700,000 psi for the "E" of the G10. This is per industry specs. If you have specs on your material that shows a higher "E" value, then please post it. If you know the "G" value - that's even better. G is Shear Modulus, sometimes called Modulus of Rigidity.

If you were to go 1/4" on the fin thickness then the Theoretical Velocity goes to 1834 ft/sec, and the 25% Margin goes to 1467 ft/sec.

Attachments

• KevinT-L3-FinFlutter.pdf
    589.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That is excellent data. Thank you so much. I agree with you that 1/4" would be better. I was hoping for a little more margin to avoid making a change, but it's not too late. I machined some custom parts to accept 3/16" material but they can be modified. Here's a picture of my thrust plate.

20220102_143640.jpg

The rocket is in it's final stages of completion and with this data I think I'm good to go. Here is a pick of the rocket to date.

20220206_162726.jpg

That is excellent data. Thank you so much. I agree with you that 1/4" would be better. I was hoping for a little more margin to avoid making a change, but it's not too late.
Thicker is better but it does not have to be solid. Solid G10 is heavy.

Fins are kind of like I beams in that material on the surface is far more important than material at the core. You can make heck of a fin by putting carbon fiber over a balsa core. The downside is that measuring or even estimating the overall material properties (stiffness is key) is difficult.

Rather than make thicker solid fins, add a layer of balsa topped with CF. Or just plain old fiberglass if CF is too spendy for your tastes.

Thicker is better but it does not have to be solid. Solid G10 is heavy.

Fins are kind of like I beams in that material on the surface is far more important than material at the core. You can make heck of a fin by putting carbon fiber over a balsa core. The downside is that measuring or even estimating the overall material properties (stiffness is key) is difficult.

Rather than make thicker solid fins, add a layer of balsa topped with CF. Or just plain old fiberglass if CF is too spendy for your tastes.

That is definitely something to think about. Thank you,

Back