Any tips for CTI 38mm pro motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s probably why it didn’t work in the first place. After they’ve been used as a bong, the reloads never fit after that.
You may be right, TB!

A lot of folks out at the Ranch tried to get the reload to seat but no one suceeded.

John Beans was able to get his full bodyweight on the reload on the floor of Mikey’s trailer but still no bueno.

The following launch I saw a couple of college kids using a large rubber mallet and WD40 trying to drive a reload home...I just walked away from that scene. Probably didn’t end well.

Well, everything went well on the motor. Slid right in again without worry, though I did get a taste of how nosecone fit can change with temperature. Left the little guys out in the sun for a bit before prepping them.

...and I got my L1 paperwork signed off :) Thanks everyone for the help.

congratulations !!

congratulations !!
Well, everything went well on the motor. Slid right in again without worry, though I did get a taste of how nosecone fit can change with temperature. Left the little guys out in the sun for a bit before prepping them.

...and I got my L1 paperwork signed off :) Thanks everyone for the help.

Any photos would love to see them ?

Congratulations! That’s great. How did you like that motor?
It was amazing! hehe. But it was all pretty amazing. I tried to spend time with as many people as I could and watched lots of flights. Learned some things too, questions that never come up from the armchair. The distance to the pad looks a lot shorter in real life. Overall I had a good time watching everyone fly. The last flight of the day was (I believe) an L, and seeing that lightsaber roaring out the back of it was even more awesome. Pictures don't do it justice.

Any photos would love to see them ?

Might be able to get a clip on YT here in a bit. It won't be very good. Pretty well handed my camera to another guy who was there for the first time checking the place out (I don't think he launched anything all day).
And myself, I kept forgetting the camera. Trying to track other people's rockets just in case they lost sight, looking for my rockets, worrying about the reception of my L1 scratch build (everyone actually liked it, RSO at the table even gave me some compliments on the build), etc. Kept leaving the camera in the truck instead of filming. Which for me is good, it means I was absorbed in the moment instead of hiding behind the shutter.

L1 at the RSO.jpg
At the launchpad with my mask, something you won't see me wearing in my woods. Igniter taped to the side of the rocket was a good idea. I even did it with the little one when I launched it.

Short vid of the takeoff at least. I didn't realize that slow rise before the kick where I was watching from. I do know that both of my rockets flew straight and true. I didn't see either of them spin or sway in the slightest, even with the wind. Chutes popped right at apogee.

View attachment 425100
At the launchpad with my mask, something you won't see me wearing in my woods. Igniter taped to the side of the rocket was a good idea. I even did it with the little one when I launched it.

Short vid of the takeoff at least. I didn't realize that slow rise before the kick where I was watching from. I do know that both of my rockets flew straight and true. I didn't see either of them spin or sway in the slightest, even with the wind. Chutes popped right at apogee.

nice job looked great take off was niceeee
Congratulations again!!!

It was amazing! hehe. But it was all pretty amazing. I tried to spend time with as many people as I could and watched lots of flights. Learned some things too, questions that never come up from the armchair. The distance to the pad looks a lot shorter in real life. Overall I had a good time watching everyone fly. The last flight of the day was (I believe) an L, and seeing that lightsaber roaring out the back of it was even more awesome. Pictures don't do it justice.

Club launches are great! You can learn so much talking to people and watching how they do things.

Might be able to get a clip on YT here in a bit. It won't be very good. Pretty well handed my camera to another guy who was there for the first time checking the place out (I don't think he launched anything all day).
And myself, I kept forgetting the camera. Trying to track other people's rockets just in case they lost sight, looking for my rockets, worrying about the reception of my L1 scratch build (everyone actually liked it, RSO at the table even gave me some compliments on the build), etc. Kept leaving the camera in the truck instead of filming. Which for me is good, it means I was absorbed in the moment instead of hiding behind the shutter.

I almost never take pictures or video of my own flights. I want to watch them with my eyeballs, not a tiny screen. I get more pics and vids of other people’s flights on my own camera, and if I really want a video of one of my flights, I hand my camera to someone. Fortunately I know a few great rocket photographers, and they often get some great shots of my stuff and will share it with me.

Club launches are great! You can learn so much talking to people and watching how they do things.

I almost never take pictures or video of my own flights. I want to watch them with my eyeballs, not a tiny screen. I get more pics and vids of other people’s flights on my own camera, and if I really want a video of one of my flights, I hand my camera to someone. Fortunately I know a few great rocket photographers, and they often get some great shots of my stuff and will share it with me.

you guys are right so many times I video my launches and feel like I missed seeing it fully I am starting to realize let someone else take the pics and vids lol

Biggest thing for me with the camera is a fear that I'll lose sight of my rocket. This has happened to me on LPR launches at the homestead, and suffice to say I do not trust myself to hold a camera and track a launch at the same time.

Off topic question but do you guys clean the reloads after every flight at the field or do you just put in a new reload and deal with cleaning when you get back the house?

Off topic question but do you guys clean the reloads after every flight at the field or do you just put in a new reload and deal with cleaning when you get back the house?

i would think you can just clean it at the end of the day when the launch is done making sure in between each flight to check and make sure nothing is caked on inside

I had a level 3 gentleman advise me to clean the casing when I was done with my L1 flight so if I have wipes I might just wipe it down each use to practice keeping it clean all the time but that’s just me

Unless the liner burns through (and it sometimes does) the casing should be pretty clean after a flight, and you can just reuse it right away.

I haven’t been using the spray lube, but I think I’m going to start. I’ve heard it makes cleanup easier when you do get a liner that burns through.

On some longburn reloads, a piece of the black liner sometimes melts on to the side of the casing. I clean that out right away. Otherwise, you get a little fouling at the forward end which can be taken care of at the end of the day. It's pretty easy to clean up, so you could give it a quick swipe with a wet wipe between flights instead.

Take your time and pay attention to what your doing......The rear closer being included can deceive you.
Let me tell you from experience......
"Don't Forget The Motor Casing "
It looks like this.......SA-14 Archer Fire.jpg

Last edited:
I've flown a dozen or so. I've seen 50 or so flown. 95% of the failures are from forgetting the case. 4% are from not drilling the delay and leaving it SUPER long. The remaining 1% is actual motor failure. If you drill the delay correctly and install the reload into the case, you're 99% of the way there.

I've flown a dozen or so. I've seen 50 or so flown. 95% of the failures are from forgetting the case. 4% are from not drilling the delay and leaving it SUPER long. The remaining 1% is actual motor failure. If you drill the delay correctly and install the reload into the case, you're 99% of the way there.
There was a period where the motors were faulty with an actual motor failure rate that was much higher. But yes, forgetting the case happens. Had one at our field a couple months ago.

Jim

There should be a "watch me and make sure I don't do anything stupid" booth right next to the RSO table. Volunteer only of course. I found it pleasing to chat with the prefect while I was assembling my motor casing. That part took about 30 seconds and the rest of the time was spent talking about my rocket, his rockets, and other rocket related stuff. Then I went over to the RSO table and told him that he wasn't tugging the fins hard enough :p

Back