Any tips for building USS Enterprise?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
I don't really expect to fly it much... but I am hoping it lives up to it's Skill Level 4 label, as I am looking forward to building another challenging kit. A quick TRF search revealed not much - but maybe a couple of you folks might have a specific tip or gotcha to keep in mind based on your own experience with this model?

Thanks

S..

I never built the Enterprise, but I can give you one tip I learned from my days building vacuform airplanes.

Don't cut the pieces out right up against each part. Instead, use a sharp scribing tool and score about 1/4 to 1/2 inch outside the part. Glue a large sheet of sandpaper to a piece of glass or a cutting board (I used to use rubber cement). Lay the piece down flat on the sandpaper and sand it with a gentle circular motion. By leaving the "flash" around the outside, you'll know you've taken just the right amount off the back when the "flash" is tissue thin and peels off with your fingers. (In most vacform kits, the part actually startson top of the sheet of styrene.)

Good Luck and have fun!

Greg

That makes sense. That's the kind of thing I never would have thought of - and I could see how it could really make a difference. Thanks for the tip!:D

(Vacuform airplanes? Did you fly 'em?)

S..

Originally posted by Bushrat
(Vacuform airplanes? Did you fly 'em?)

S..

Naw - these were 1/72 scale static models. And I gotta say they are a lot tougher to build than traditional injection molded kits.

Greg

I don't have any building tips for that one, but I have a finishing reccomendation. If you go to starshipmodeler.com and dig around (probally under manufacturers links), there are a few companies that make really cool Enterprise decals in different scales. I'm not sure what your kit came with, but I have seen people selling really amazing Star Trek decals and after market parts on that site. Check it out.
-Justin

BTW- Where did you get that? I want one!:D

Originally posted by Justin

BTW- Where did you get that? I want one!:D

You can usually find a couple on ebay - I picked up mine for around 20 bucks, plus shipping.

S..

I have built the Enterprise. I can say with all confidence that it is a PITA.
Take your time and read through the instructions before starting.
I built mine in my pre-epoxy days and given the trouble I had getting the saucer section to stay on, if I ever build another one I will use 5 min. epoxy to attack the saucer and nacelles.

missileman: (or anyone who can help :))

I have the impression from looking at this kit that it might be underpowered on a "C". Did you make any modifications to yours?

S..

Originally posted by gpoehlein
I never built the Enterprise, but I can give you one tip I learned from my days building vacuform airplanes.

Don't cut the pieces out right up against each part. Instead, use a sharp scribing tool and score about 1/4 to 1/2 inch outside the part. Glue a large sheet of sandpaper to a piece of glass or a cutting board (I used to use rubber cement). Lay the piece down flat on the sandpaper and sand it with a gentle circular motion. By leaving the "flash" around the outside, you'll know you've taken just the right amount off the back when the "flash" is tissue thin and peels off with your fingers. (In most vacform kits, the part actually startson top of the sheet of styrene.)

Good Luck and have fun!

Greg

Interesting....

The instructions for the Estes "Maxi-Brute" Honest John actually detail a *very* similar method (the differences being only in minor details) for assembling the vacuum-formed fins (which come in halves.)

I always wondered "why" they wanted you to do it that way. I get it now...

*Yet another kit I need to get around to building someday....* :eek:

It is underpoweder with a C6... but don't think about flying it with a D13. That would be a bad choice... that was the death of my Klingon Batlte Cruiser...

it is underpowered but very fragile. I think it would fall apart on anything bigger.

I built one, and the Klingon, when they first came out. A bit of a pain, but it looks quite nice when finished. It's pretty light with all those vacuum formed parts, and a C gives a decent flight. Here's another vacuum form trick. Take a ball point pen and outline all the parts before you cut them out. Run the pen in the crease where the parts join the flat sheet. Then, as above, cut around the parts leaving a lip. When you sand, you'll know you've sanded enough when you have a fine pen line left. Also, I believe the saucer has an overlap - I think the bottom part is slightly smaller and sits inside the top. That makes gluing them together easier.
Drew Tomko

I´ve got still a half build Klingon battlecruiser laying around......
I found that the vacuformed plasic and the cardstock parts are not good quallity.Don´t use a C6-3 a buddy of me, also killed his Cruiser with it.

Jochen

The best tip? Build it in orbit. It was never meant to enter a planetary atmosphere. Sheesh.

Originally posted by graylensman
The best tip? Build it in orbit. It was never meant to enter a planetary atmosphere. Sheesh.

And don't forget the Jefferies tubes. All the really critical components are tucked away in hard to reach places.

Still haven't flown it, yet - so I can't say how it will perform. I built it stock, and was pleasantly surprised at how it came out. I will post a pic of the rocket alongside my AMT plastic model for comparison.

S..

Absolutely gorgeous! Well done, Bushrat! What brand/color paint did you use for the hull? I'd like to tackle mine someday with that color.

-Kitch

"One, Two, Five!!"

Very nice job! Captain Kirk himself would be proud. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Star Trek stuff - the original Enterprise and Klingon battle cruiser are my favorite ST designs.

Don't they say... "Once a geek always a geek???"

Naw...

It moves from generation to generation though...
My sons first... unfinished here... but man he was excited...!!!

He did a great job so far - let him show it off and post some pics when it gets done

Great Enterprises! I picked up both the Enterprise and the Klingon on ebay not long ago. I was surprised how many there were. I paid $25 for the Enterprise and about $20 for the KBC. Both are baged so I think they are the origanal issue. I hope to build them this winter, along with my Outland, MarsLander clone, Argossy,Space shuttle, Big Daddy, etc...

Another tip is to glue small tabs on one side of the Vac U Form part to help attach the part, This also helps to line up the parts. I also would use a liquid plastic cement, the tube type might erode the thin plastic to much. I have not tried epoxy, but I would be cautious of the heat generated.

Please post any tips you use when you start to build it!

Good luck

Mark

As far as the paint color - I'll have to check after I get home. It's Testor's brand, it came with the kit. The paint came out fine, but I should not have used the primer that came with the kit. I guess it was too old, so it spattered pretty good going on. Luckily, you have to get a close look to see it. Haven't started the Klingon ship, yet - but I'll use new primer for sure!

S..

Steve-
Thanks for that ebay link. It took me right to a set of the enterprise and klingon d7. The auction just ended, and I got both for 10.49 plus shipping. Awesome! I can't wait to build them.
-Justin

Cool! Sounds like you got a great deal. Keep us posted!
Kitch - I must have thrown away the old paint can I used - but I think the color was something like "gull grey"?

S..

It was a great deal! It was less than you would pay today for kits with all the plastic parts. They were in bags that had really been ragged, but the innards are all good. The klingon was never opened, and the enterprise was opened, then taped shut but unbuilt. I didn't look in depth, but everything looks okay. The decals still seem to be okay. I'll let you guys know.

I just built a Polar Light Klingon D7 (awaiting paint), so I can't wait till work subsides enough to build someting that flies...

:D

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Again, great work on that Enterprise!

-Kitch

"One, Two, Five!!"

Back