any suggestions for a mid powered reload case?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking for my first reload case. What are my options and what does everyone recommend? Obviously it can't be anything larger than a G.
Thanks.

One case that can pretty much do it all in the mid-power range (E-G) is the AeroTech 29/40-120. I have only used mine for G64s but there are a total of 8 different reloads that are compatible with that casing. Biggest downside to this RMS is that the closures can only be used with that casing.

A runner-up to that would be a 29/60-100 system (either AT or Dr Rocket). Big difference there is that you get 2 casings (a 60ns & 100ns) with one set of closures. Biggest advantage to that system is that the closures work with the remainder of the 29mm casings (180, 240, & 300). However, it seems like the reloads for the 60 & 100 casings are harder to find. YMMV...

Only other choice is the Pro38 1 grain. While undoubtedly the easiest of the bunch to use, it is far & away the most expensive at ~$20 per reload. Other downsides include only 2 different propellants available (classic & Smokey Sam) & those reloads are "only" G motors. And Pro38 motors (regardless of size) always ignite soooo easily!

HTH,

I'd definitely go with the AT 29/40-120. Flies everything from an E16 to a G64 and a ton of motors inbetween. I have 2 of these casings in my collection. It's nice to use the 29mm casing with an E reload in the AT Mustang. I'm not a big fan of motor adapters.

If you're not too sure about reloads, the markings, and how they assemble, definitely start with the 29/40-120. Check your kits and see which motors they can handle. Once you've settled on a motor or reload, you can work through assembling the motor with a friend or by carefully reading through the instructions.

Reloads are great. They add yet another element to this hobby you won't find in a SU motor.

You could also consider getting the 29/120 motor that just came out. Pretty much the same as the 29/60-100 cases and closures, but the 120 has a little more power, and AT is (planning on) making loads for it. Thus, it would be easier to find loads for that motor than the 60 or 100 case (although I love the G104T)

I'd go 40-120 myself. Oddly enough, I've only used mine for the G64, but if I ever wanted, there are plenty of other loads for the case, and it's the flexibility I like...

Okay, thanks you all! Now, about the coding. So the 29/40-120 means 29mm motor with a range of 20-120 newton-seconds? What are all the parts to a motor reload of this caliber?
Thanks.

Um, lemme see... I'm sure ill probably forget a few pieces, but....

Nozzel
Forward/awt o-rings
Forward fiber waher (possible for aft too, I forget...):)
Delay element
delay grain
delay spacer
delay o ring
propellant grain(s)
liner
igniter
black powder

And I think that's all...:)

Back