Any SHX-15B's seen at NARAM?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
I was hoping that there might have been a few sightings at NARAM of the elusive SHX-15B, a photo of one in flight would be great!

Based on the 'secret' thread, I thought we determined that there was no TRF communication with NARAM?

Originally posted by rstaff3
Based on the 'secret' thread, I thought we determined that there was no TRF communication with NARAM?

It appears I read the new posts backassward. Scratch what I said, evidently there is a little comm. Maybe the answer to Shrox's question will in fact pop out. My bad.

""Any SHX-15B's seen at NARAM?""

Was that a hint?
Maybe some, or one, will show up on Wednesday.
:D :p :rolleyes:

Tim

I kept admiring a pretty big (2 - 2 1/2 foot?), great looking X-15 as I'd walk past a guy's outpost at the NARAM field. I finally asked him whose X-15 that was & he said it was from Shrox.
When it was about to fly, some were leery of it being a stable flight & as so often happens with some of Shrox's radical designs, despite the doubters, it flew straight as an arrow......a beautiful flight! I went to the Shrox website to order one & saw they should be back in stock later this month.......I'll check the vendors at NARAM & snap one up if I find one. -- Richard Hickok

There might be one there!!!

I saw one pic at the naramlive page of a man-wife-kid sitting by their pile-o-rockets and prominently displayed was a long-nosed X-15 which appears to be the SHX-15B.

CTimm

That naramlive page of a man-wife-kid is indeed the family I asked & was told it was a Shrox kit & the one I saw fly so well. -- Richard

Originally posted by rhickok
I kept admiring a pretty big (2 - 2 1/2 foot?), great looking X-15 as I'd walk past a guy's outpost at the NARAM field. I finally asked him whose X-15 that was & he said it was from Shrox.
When it was about to fly, some were leery of it being a stable flight & as so often happens with some of Shrox's radical designs, despite the doubters, it flew straight as an arrow......a beautiful flight! I went to the Shrox website to order one & saw they should be back in stock later this month.......I'll check the vendors at NARAM & snap one up if I find one. -- Richard Hickok

I found out people didn't think the nose weight would be nessesary, after one flight they found out that yes, you must use all the nose weight included! For some reason many of my designs don't sim well, and simming them can give inaccuarte results.

Shrox,

BrianC was at the NARAM launch with his great better half and kids....those are the people you see under the umbrella. He did one beautiful job on the X-15, which BTW was way cool!!! I want one now. Anyway, he got two launches on it, and suffice to say an "F" motor was a bit much for the high winds we experienced. I still have cuts on my legs from searching the ajoining field...not fun. I saw him in the field as I was leaving and later at the hotel found out he didn't find it which was a bummer.

The annoucement looks interesting...this must be the year for long fantasy rockets with the release of the Farscape followed by the announcement of the Alien 8...nice design.

Cya,

Carl

When I saw you had responded I thought, "Geez, what did I say now?!"

I hope Brian finds it, there are still a few days to look. Does it get dew in the morning there?

I hear ya on the find, unfortunately, I don't know how long he was staying. I didn't see him Monday, but maybe someone will find it although that was one tough field beyond the left tree line.

Shrox, glad you are posting and don't worry...I am actually real easy to get along with:); I always move forward and never dwell in the past...so no reason to be surprised or worried.

Keep having fun and keep the designs coming.

Carl

Hey all!

Just got back from NARAM and DC (over 1000 email- even after spamassassin) :(

Wow! The SHX-15B flew great! Due to the high winds, I replaced the stock
chute with a 15" nylon TopFlight.

The first flight was on an E9 and the RSO asked me to point the rod a little
more to vertical, due to the wind and iffy impulse. The bird lifted to about 50 or 70
feet, flopped over and went HORIZONTIAL, looking a lot like the real one!

The ejection charge ripped the swivel clasp open and the chute drifted about 200 feet downwind. Despite the missing chute, the SHX-15B landed with out a scratch.

Moments later, the second flight was on an F21, but I neglected to angle the
launch rod for the wind. (Musta been too excited- this really is a great rocket).
The F21 took it straight into the sky and deployment was just after apogee. Then
the winds caught it and pushed it to the north side of the field. I kept hoping it
would drop just shy of the tree line, then was happy to see it drift over the
trees. Unfortunately, after almost an hour, I had to abandon the search... :(

I turned in my contact info with the NOVAAR folks and was told they often
have missing rockets returned by neighboring property owners. Too bad it
rained the next day. Oh well, as I was telling my son all weekend (because
he was reluctant to fly some of his)- "It's not a rocket until it flys!"

BTW shrox- there were several photographers snapping shots of the SHX-15B
all day Saturday. Including one from the local paper- he grabbed a shot of
me touching up the decals with a Sharpie. After he gathered more info, I handed
him a card and asked to send me a clipping if it gets past his editor. I'll let you
know if I hear from him.

Bummer!! Sorry to hear about your SHX-15B Brian.

The E9-4 is not enough motor for the SHX-15B. I flew mine for the first time tonight and it did the same thing. Up to about 50-60 feet...very lazy...horizontal travelling to the East...UH OH!!! 10 feet off the ground the chute came out. No damage to the rocket except the chute is trashed. Several shroud lines got ripped out.

Next flight will be on a RMS E18-7.

Here are some pictures from tonight's launch.

Latest posts

Back