Any rocketry plans for this year?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully pick up where COVID left me off almost a year ago - I was just about ready to choose an L1 kit when everything hit. Launches were canceled and very limited in my area, so I participated in none. Given that, I didn't even start building. Hopefully 2021 will reverse all of that.

Hopefully pick up where COVID left me off almost a year ago - I was just about ready to choose an L1 kit when everything hit. Launches were canceled and very limited in my area, so I participated in none. Given that, I didn't even start building. Hopefully 2021 will reverse all of that.
Of course, I'm building and planning, but I'm concerned when and how good the Covid-19 vaccination is going to be this year. At the moment, the vaccination is going too slow!

Last edited:
My biggest goal is to launch anything. Fire bans were a real problem in Colorado in 2020.
Beyond that, I'd like to build a few things that look a little less traditional, not that all my rockets are completely traditional now.
Things that don't necessarily look like rockets. Jets, birds, flying dinosaurs, golf tees, whatever.

1 - Fly at least monthly.
2 - Build a number of upscales that I have been planning and collecting parts for. Honestly, there are at least 15 of them planned.
3 - Finish my LOC Warlock and get my Level 1.

• Help DART launches get rebooted when it's safe and the city allows it (things are really scary right now, 4000+ daily new cases in SD a couple of days back)
  • Finish the unfinished, launch the unlaunched
  • Go help officiate at IREC, if the launch happens

Complete blueprint for next build - done
Start making the parts - started
Complete this build before this year's fire ban is lifted.
Don’t forget to build a launch tower, because that will be necessary.
Launch and recover successfully!

Covid has put a damper on a lot of my rocketry activities.. And there is little hope I'll be flying until the summer My build pile slowly grows, as well as my 'paint pile' So I'm waning off building any more..

I am, however planning to do a few other things things / other hobbies:
  • I'm slowly getting back into plastic 1:35 armor modeling. I just need to get over the 'painting with an airbrush' hurdle.. (Been a looooong time!)
  • thinking of taking up R/C flying again.. getting a medium 'park flyer' so I can zoom around in the park behind me
  • Get back into fly tying, maybe try to do a plate from the Bergman collection. Maybe tie enough to sell at a local craft show / bazaar. (Tie a few on safety pins too!)
  • Try to be more computer literate (but I really don't know where to start! Windows & the tech seem to be getting more & more 'alien'..)
  • Bike more! Get into better shape (while 'round' is a shape, it's not one people should be!)
  • Take more photos, and get better at processing them! (And am looking for a photoshop alternative - I have a hard time 'renting' software..)

At work, we are all expected to pursue a set of goals & objectives; both for professional & personal growth. One of the first & only companies that make this a part of employment. While I somewhat dread it, I do look forward to it at the same time!! A challenge!

and be less of a procrastinator! tomorrow....

Last edited:
1. Launch my first cluster rockets. Fliskits Duece’s Wild and a Tres upscaled for 24mm.
2. Learn electronic deployment with my EggTimer Apogee.
3. L2 attempt.
4. Fly more rockets than I did in 2020. That should be easy.
5. Finish up the actuarial exams so they stop getting in the way of rocketry.

Little conflicted because we have 2018, 2019, and 2020 rocket goal threads, and now this one's generic title throws off the indexing

Oh look, a 2021 Goals thread!

Guess I'll mine both places:

-Drag race my souped Star Orbiter on I205s with a club friend
-Build 13mm competition copter kit
--Fly my 4 competition models
-Help my wife finish building her G-force
-Build the estes Master series Mercury Atlas (1/35) (hopefully fly it too)
-Go to Airfest and help a project I was invited along with
-Build estes Sidekick

Back