Any rocketry plans for this year?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. build the Level-2 kit I bought in 2012 and get the Certification (more social masturbation)
2. fly it one more time with the dual deployment set-up and use the K630 motor that I also bought in 2012

finished

1) Launch some rockets

2) Design and build my first "G powered" 3" rocket

3) Launch a rocket with a reloadable motor system for the first time

-Bob

• Launch the repaired Park Flyer Magnum
  • Finish and launch the new Io
    • Use the Io to "re-earn" my L1 in my own mind*
  • Once the library maker space reopens, build the Triple V, and launch it.
  • Use more (well, some) electronics
  • Finish my long stalled L2 build
There are many more, but those are the biggest ones. It may already be too much to have on the priority list, so I'll stop.

EDIT: Jeff Lassahn below remimded me:
  • Connect with my (other) local club. And maybe the other other not quite so local club.

* I was given the cert thanks to a mistake in the post-flight inspection. So I didn't really earn it, but I'm not giving it back. I haven't launched HP since. The rocket that did the flight has since been lost on a G motor flight.

Last edited:
  • Fly my Big Bertha upscale.
  • Get my L2 on said Big Bertha
  • Fly my first dual altimeter build (Big Bertha)
  • Fly air starts of my first time (Big Bertha)
  • Try to shread my Tube-Tastic on warp 9 motors (see profile pic)
  • Get started on my SA-2 build
  • Start my first 54mm build

Given how various plans for last year went, I should probably just say "Man plans, God laughs" and leave it at that. But...

• Connect with the local club and fly in the presence of other humans.
  • Scratch build some scale stuff. Maybe start by hacking together a Saturn V.
  • Do some aerodynamics, maybe write a CFD program where I actually believe the results.

I plan to launch more rockets and visit the Muncie and Indiana Rocketry fields. I might start gathering parts and building a 3" Darkstar for an eventual L2.

I would like to launch more rockets. In order to achieve that goal, I may wind up relocating now that my job has given me that option. The shift I work conflicts with my club's launch days (Saturday), so I need someplace with more launch locations available at my convenience. It would also need a good bowling alley, need to keep the wife in mind ;). That being said, I will go with:

1. Reduce rather than increase the size of my build pile.
2. Make more of an effort to take off work and attend club launch Saturdays.
3. Research in more detail some of the locations mentioned in my optimal launch locations thread - https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/optimal-model-rocketry-launch-locations-in-the-us.163194/
4. Get my L2 certification.

1-Build one of the 3 Two stage rockets
2-Attend a sanctioned launch and fail miserably with said 2 stage
3-Break my 7,000 foot personal best that I got when I qualified L2
4-finish the build pile I have
5-Get 1 person interested and INTO rocketry.
6-Start the process of my L-3

Attachments

• 20201222_033041.jpg
    20201222_033041.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201222_033116.jpg
    20201222_033116.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 13
I would like to launch more rockets. In order to achieve that goal, I may wind up relocating now that my job has given me that option. The shift I work conflicts with my club's launch days (Saturday), so...
Would the change of location offer the chance to also change your shift schedule?

1. Launch as much at possible, both club launches and B6-4 Field launches.
2. Fly with someone other than myself at B6-4 Field.
3. More Maxes.
4. Thin out the cabinet herd.
5. Finally try for Level One, twenty years after the fact.

Would the change of location offer the chance to also change your shift schedule?
Not in and of itself. I actually prefer the schedule other than the launch conflict, and it has recently been easier to take some Saturdays off. I also realize the majority of clubs fly on Saturdays, so a location where I have access to a field where I could fly any day, independent of an organized launch is highly desirable to me. I could then reserve club launches for high-power.

I read the linked thread. Did it ever go any further? Do you have a plan for that goal now? Same basic design concept, or something new?
The basic concept of an optimized 29mm two stage design is still there. Due to waiver changes, the goal has changed to just getting the most altitude possible from the design, instead of just breaking 20,000 feet. I've changed pretty much all of the details of the design though. Currently the biggest hurdle is packaging the avionics into the smallest volume possible.

Ten years of progress in miniaturization should make that a lot easier than it was then.
It's not actually much of a difference. I was originally planning on using a Raven and a Beeline beacon crammed into a Featherweight avbay. This version is going to be using a Raven and a Featherweight GPS. I'm planning on making an avbay with a PCB bulkhead for power delivery, kind of similar to the featherweight avbay, but capable of cramming the GPS unit next to the Raven.

Back