Any other TARC teams here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
I know Rocketguts is a TARC team that's a TRF participant. Are there any others here trying out this year?

:)

Birmingham Rocket Boys...!!!
We currently have three school systems in our area signed up...
each will have its own club appointed mentor...

We only had one class last year... they did extremely well in the competition... this year looks to be even better...!!!:)

Originally posted by Steward
:)

Birmingham Rocket Boys...!!!
We currently have three school systems in our area signed up...
each will have its own club appointed mentor...

We only had one class last year... they did extremely well in the competition... this year looks to be even better...!!!:)

Yea! Serious competition! What place did you all get?

Muahahaha.

-Matthew

West Point High School Space Cadets!

see signature for more info

My local NAR club, HUVARS in Ann Arbor, Michigan is having a "pre-TARC" meeting for as many TARC member as we can find.

We get a llittle discouraged by all the last minute prep so we want to get a jump on it.

I am the head of the Milton Academy TARC team.

A little info on are project;

we are planning an all composite, probably carbon fiber, rocket, that will use flight computers to actuate all events. Motors have not been decided on, because we have not gotten all the details on what we need to do yet.

If it comes out light, we will use BP motors, if not AP, although we might combine both.

We are also looking into doing a Minimum diameter altitude/speed project that will hopefully fly at next years BALLS

I'm too young; however when I get in high school i will try to get the school involved... far as I can tell they never participated.

You are in 7th or 8th grade right? If you are then get 2 of your friends and go for it!

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
I'm too young; however when I get in high school i will try to get the school involved... far as I can tell they never participated.

Hey! When I brought TARC to my school they had no idea what it was. I first sent out an email to the entire upper school briefly describing the competition and found who was interested. I then talked to the head teacher of the science department and she seemed pretty interested. In the end I got my school to create a rocketry class just for the TARC members! Cool eh?

Go for it! It won't hurt!

WOW! I can do it in middle school ! woohoo!

ANyways, i think it's too late to start now. I will however attempt to start something :D ...My science teacher will be asked a lot of questions come tomorrow ;)

WOW! I can do it in middle school ! woohoo!

ANyways, i think it's too late to start now. I will however attempt to start something :D ...My science teacher will be asked a lot of questions come tomorrow ;)

I definately do not think it is too late. The registration has not even started yet and the details as to the goal of the contest have not been released publicly yet. You can expect the details on the website (www.rocketcontest.com) on September 7th. You really need to push to get into this contest. Just get 2 friends and enter! You do not even have to have a class in school about it.

Ya but still... that leaves me a week or so to get everything sorted out if we want to have a somewhat low registration number. I know the goal is how close you can come to a certain total flight DURATION, however the egg rule still applies. I don't know if we can get it done in time, however I'm gonna puch for it. Plus, unlike lots of other TARC teams, we have nothing planned. jack squat. When is the big competion? april? what is that. 8 months? OK, so we could do it... Hmmhmm...

:D

Yeah well my team has nothing planned so far this year. We are waiting for the exact details of the competition. The deadline for registration is NOVEMBER 30th! You have plenty of time. Just don't wait till the last minute or it will be filled up. If you have a good qualification score, which's deadline will probably be in April, then you may be in the top 100 which means a trip to Virginia in late May. But I have to tell you, put AS HARD AS YOU CAN to get this. You will not regret it! Trust me. Good luck in your quest. Hope to see you at the finals in May.

Originally posted by phaar
Yeah well my team has nothing planned so far this year. We are waiting for the exact details of the competition. The deadline for registration is NOVEMBER 30th! You have plenty of time. Just don't wait till the last minute or it will be filled up. If you have a good qualification score, which's deadline will probably be in April, then you may be in the top 100 which means a trip to Virginia in late May. But I have to tell you, put AS HARD AS YOU CAN to get this. You will not regret it! Trust me. Good luck in your quest. Hope to see you at the finals in May.

I seriously doubt that registration will be "filled up" this time. The last two years, there were only so many altimeters that can be manfuactured and sent out in time for them to be useful, hence the limit.

At NARAM, Trip Barber said the intent this year is to make it easier to qualify, but just as difficult to win. That tells me that more than the top 100 teams may be going to the finals.

In summary, go for it!

Bill

No altimeters required this year. All done with timers onm the ground.

Parachute "slot" duration withy eggs! You must keep it in the air for a specific time.

Originally posted by sandman
No altimeters required this year. All done with timers onm the ground.

Parachute "slot" duration withy eggs! You must keep it in the air for a specific time.

Aye. And thus, exotics are not necessarily a benefit. Durability of the model tested might be, whether paper, plastic or sheetrock.

The point is accuracy. And, of course, "bring 'em back alive". It appears the target duration will be prescribed, not self-selected, with extra points for two stages and two eggs.

I work for the local school district as the network manager, today was the district staff development day, where all of the teachers get together by field, and discuss things that will help them do a better job with the kiddos.

I happened to be in charge today of making sure all the high tech toys worked for the demonstrations... whilst monitoring a computer lab full of science / physics teachers, i spied a VERY dusty Estes Mean Machine hanging from the ceiling... not being able to contain my silence... i inquired about it..and its rather obvious state of disuse...

seems the collective group was interested in the subject of rockets for the high school level..but never had anything presented to them before..... not sure if i did the issue justice.. but I dropped them a few pointers, and links to many of the rocket sites...

I gave them a brief overview of my knowledge of the TARC challenge... and showed them the website...

I also showed them the estes and apogee sites for educators...

also had to show them some of the rocket photos here on the RTF...

One of the schools science department head said they were going on Tuesday to present the idea of putting at TARC team together on Tuesday to the students in thier classes...

not sure if they have time to do anything for this years challenge..but they should be able to build the interest for a serious effort for next year...

either way... it was good to see so many of the teachers showing interest in our sport...

later
Jerryb

I am a TARC mentor again this year.

I wish the teams would take more advantage of my computer simulation work.

I have three tips for all the TARC teams this year: RockSim, SmartSim and me!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Ya but still... that leaves me a week or so to get everything sorted out if we want to have a somewhat low registration number. I know the goal is how close you can come to a certain total flight DURATION, however the egg rule still applies. I don't know if we can get it done in time, however I'm gonna puch for it. Plus, unlike lots of other TARC teams, we have nothing planned. jack squat. When is the big competion? april? what is that. 8 months? OK, so we could do it... Hmmhmm...

:D

You dont really have to have anything planned. Since it is precision duratioon, you can build an rocket you want,and adjust the weights and sizes for the duratrion.

ME! I'm the head of our school's TARC team this year (other than our Rocket Team mentor who can't help us on this so I guess that leaves me!). Our school is Sparkman High School...............we didn't place last year.:(

Back