Any other RC Nerds? My Mig 29 Maiden with Afterburners!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to get back at it. I have a few aircraft that I haven't flown all year.

Gaui X3
20160904_183417.jpg

UMX Pitts
20160611_151718.jpg

The ever popular Apprentice
20161127_115417.jpg

I have a Mountain Models EVA kit with the Sport and Biplane Wings boxed and ready to build. After my dog ate the 4 Star I was building, I lost interest in starting another balsa kit.

Last edited:
I have 2 quadcopters in my office with 2 new Matek F722-SE flight controllers sitting beside them begging to be installed. I have an old fixed with pattern plane that I designed on a shelf in the garage. We just moved to town a couple months ago, but some quick googling looks like there's a nice flying field about 25 minutes away. Hmm.

This might cut into my rocket stuff though. So much fun to be had, so little time.

Just finished a Gaui NX4 last month.

Attachments

• 20200722_180132.jpg
    20200722_180132.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
Very very nice. I fly RC, I've got a pretty good idea of the amount of dedication required for that aircraft. I about threw a cardiac vapor lock watching the take-off though. It looked like the landing gear were going to meet the curb. You flew out of that very nicely.

Jim

Wow, what a great looking aircraft and flight! I like how smooth it is in flight, looks very realistic. It's just amazing how electric power has changed R/C so much for the better in many ways. Really makes me want to start flying again!

Thanks for the post,

Tony

B-17Stuff2.jpg
These are the paper fuselage bulkhead patterns for one side of my 1/9th scale B-17G. Multiply these by two for the entire fuselage.

After looking at all those patterns, two words: laser cutter. It makes my fingers hurt just thinking about cutting all those out by hand. But that's how I used to build, back in the '70s. Can't say that I miss it, but it could get pretty Zen. I found good music was the key to long sessions with an Exacto,

Tony

I don't mind old school techniques. Like building an exotic car by hand. There's a lot to be appreciated for old world methods. I did use a tabletop jigsaw for the cutting of bulkheads and ribs.

That is great, really takes me back. I had a table jigsaw like that as well, but I would not have had the patience to do all that cutting. And that's a great engine, very cool. I always wanted a four-stroke R/C engine. Looking forward to seeing it skinned and painted. - I hope you have so good nose art picked out.

On the other hand, with the phenomenal quality of the molded fuselages like the OP has, it allows those who like to fly to get into the air without hours and hours of building. And to fly planes that would be very difficult to build from scratch.

Tony

B-17G Center Wing..jpg
This is the center wing section consisting of the main landing gear and four engines. I'm checking incidence on all four motors making sure they all will have the proper 2 degrees downthrust. The two outer wing panels are not yet joined.

Back