Any other hobbies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this thread too!

Not so much a hobby as an avocation, but I write and design Role Playing Games and War Games (not computer or video games, but the pencil and paper kinds). I've actually been a professional designer for 25 years now, and was one of the original design team members on FASA's Star Trek The Role Playing Game, and also did some work on their Doctor Who Role Playing Game. I currently am a partner in a small press game company:

https://www.microtactix.com

Appropriately, we do paper model buildings for role playing and miniature war games, so paper modelling has become another of my hobbies. Also, I love playing MMORPGs - my current game is City Of Heroes.

Greg

Man am I slow on some of these threads . . .

Anything aviation/aerospace related for me . . . flying GA aircraft, R/C airplanes, rocketry, etc. Keep it real though, I'm not into Sci-Fi stuff, for whatever reason.

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Barry, I shoot quite a bit and even once won a state match and got to go to the Winston P. Wilson Cup Matches at Camp Robinson, AR.
I'd like to try IDPA sometime, but they seem to be getting "racey" as I understand it.

I heard so many matches mentioned by the "regulars" back then that I could never recall all of them, but that match sounds vaguely familiar.
Highpower was fun, and it was what I wanted to be good at for as long as I can remember, but those were some long, hot days out there on the range and in the pits. I got to Master level, and was nipping at High Master when back problems forced me out. Kinda like what you said, I can't shoot like that now but it feels good to have "been there".

IDPA has changed a little. Neither IDPA or IPSC is very realistic, but I guess nothing can be. I get a lot more practical gain out of a 3-day training class than ten years of IDPA or IPSC matches. I still shoot them (whichever is available) because shooting any match beats just talking about shooting. I shoot both with my carry gun, using my carry holster, from concealment. Score/placing does not matter- I'm there to shoot the scenarios they have set-up and see what areas I need practice in. I really think IPSC works better for that because it's less restricted. IDPA has so many firm rules (like when/where/how you will reload) that don't fit my training.

Find a club (IPSC or IDPA) and go. You won't be sorry.

Next to rockets, golf, and ultra high fidelity sound, indie films, reading and other distractions, trying to stay informed about sci, technology, and most of all, politics is enuf to fill my plate. The latter takes a much greater effort than it used to, but still doable and rewarding.
John S

I'm think of getting into R/C cars. Not competitive racing, but just a few stuff to play around with when I don't have anything else to do.

I am a bit of a retro gaming freak (1980's arcade games).

Last year I built an arcade machine so I suppose this is my only other hobby at the moment.

It has been playable since last Christmas but I don'ty consider it finished. I still have lots of little touches to complete.....

The construction thread is here.
https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=35285.0

Seems to be some common interests among hobbyists! I tend to change focus every 4-5 years, but there are some common threads among many of us...

- Classic cars, from restoration/show to pure go (road racing)... I've owned some fun ones (currently a F5 Cobra replica and a '69 911S vintage racer I've owned since 1981) and some real dogs (TR-8, OTAS Grand Prix), and a few I wish I still had;

- Racing, started in MAC and KT-100/Heavy as a teen, then autocross and moved up to Solo 1 and 2, later SCCA (FP, GT-2, GT-1 and SP) with a couple IMSA and Grand Am races (GTU and GT1/Trans Am), until it got too expensive to stay mildly competitive;

- Aircraft homebuilding (built Schreder HP-18 # N9040S and 80% of a VariEze, thinking about an RV-8/9);

- Soaring (SSA Gold and one Diamond), see above;

- Sport aerobatics and IAC judging on a regional level (until I got married - the wife doesn't like to fly);

- Aquariums, have always had a a fascination with them - at one point I think I had 10 or 11 reef and cichlid/discus tanks);

- IPSC handgun and NRA high-power (M-1 Garand) target shooting, though that ended when we lost our club site (all too common here in So Cal);

- Pipe restoration and collecting (mostly 'modern' cottage US manufacturers and certain pre-WW2 English manufacturers)...this is a dying hobby, unfortunately;

- Model aircraft all my life, from FF to RC of all types, currently mostly fly jets and IMAC;

- HPR for the last 18 months, though I am getting back into LPR - just wish there were more competition-oriented activities here in the SD area.

It's funny but people who are into hobbies often seem to share many interests, this thread (or somthing like this) has been repeated on a number of R/C and car forums I also participate in.

I think it makes for well rounded and interesting people to hang with.
:cool:

Playing guitar. Own 5 of them
Ho and N scale model trains
Computers/Electronics
Fireworks
Swimming
Bowling
Photography
These are my other hobbies.

And I think thats it because, I no longer skateboard or BMX.

Off-Roading
Reading
Writing scripts (for military/action movies)
Building props (for low-budget movies)
Writing poetry (keep comments to yourself ;) )

- Electric RC Airplanes
- Aviation... Working on my PPL
- On a swim team
- Photography
- G scale trains, Garden Railroad
- Surfing
- Of course rocketry
- Flight Simulator, Virtual Airlines
- Web Design

EX Rocketry

Electric R/C (particularly wings)

PS2

Game Cube

Johnnie

Originally posted by Bones
I am a bit of a retro gaming freak (1980's arcade games).

Last year I built an arcade machine so I suppose this is my only other hobby at the moment.

It has been playable since last Christmas but I don'ty consider it finished. I still have lots of little touches to complete.....

The construction thread is here.
https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=35285.0

Just like bones I'm a retro gamer and arcade cabinet builder, my cabinet isn't complete yet and on the back burner right now since my return to school is my biggest priority.... actually bones is the one who introduced model rocketry to me via another forum we both frequent....

my project thread:

https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=47034.0

Ive recently (within the last year) added one more to the Semi-Hobby list...but sorta goes along with my downsizing themes.. z gauge Trains. 1:220 scale...They are SO KEWL!!!! I've got the same track layout that I had in a 4'x 8'x 16"deep HO layout in a 20" x 48" x 9" portable cabinet... If I ever get the thing finished, it's gonna be the center piece of our house Christmas display:D 3 cabs with at least 5 trains running at the same time:D
Yea... I know more micro stuff:D:D

John,

Post a pix! I did HO and N gauge for a while and always eye-balled the Z gauge stuff. I would *love* to get into that! (give me more reason to use my air brush :) )

I'll have to post a neat layout I did a while back

I've got some photos of the new layout and cabinet at the house, None with me:(

Here's the Old HO layout I'm downsizing;) three levels this one has 2 cabs. the town, mill, coal mine and all the signals light up. I still have this layout but I can't get to it...It's locked up against the wall. it hinges up out of the way by design. but that room has become the overflow room stacked nearly to the ceiling with Stuff from the parents house before it was sold:( It was supposed to be a multi purpose room but now just the antique unseen closet:(
So I had to do something...Z's seemed like the trick:D

Well for me...I work on Real Rockets, I build and launch my own rockets...so I have rockets on my mind always.

But there are a few others that I can squeeze in sometimes:

1. Honey Do lists
2. Indy Car racing (watching of course)
3. Honey Do lists
4. Golf
5. Honey Do lists
6. Converting the old VHS tapes of the kids into DVD's
7. Honey Do lists

I did once get to drive an Indy Car....would do it again!

IndyCar%20Test%20Drive.jpg

Flying, Does it still count if you get paid for it?

Science Fiction/Star Trek

Skiing

Bulldogs

Plastic models

Thats all I have time for.

Mark

My other major hobby that I have been neglecting is building plastic models. I build everything from cars, motorcycles, to modern fighter jets. I do some bike riding, if you want to call it a hobby or not... and automotive work, but that is so darn expensive I can't afford to mess with it anymore, nor do I have the desire... my fiance tells me I'm getting old cause I want a comfortable ride more than to be able to go 150 mph and not lift off :eek:

Originally posted by jflis
John,

Post a pix! I did HO and N gauge for a while and always eye-balled the Z gauge stuff. I would *love* to get into that! (give me more reason to use my air brush :) )

I'll have to post a neat layout I did a while back

Jim:
Heres a pic of the 20"x 49" x 9-1/2" Traveling 3 level Zga cabinet with top rolling stock stroage. The Cabinet has a complete construction history but I don't have most of them in small enough format to post;)

Heres as far as I've gotten on actual train layout construction. Track layout is now complete, most of the supports and raisers are cut but not glued and tacked down, Trestle upright supports are made.
I have been running the trains just to test the layout inclines and such:)

I guess the last time I posted here was with the old nick... hobbies have kinda shifted.

• Ham Radio
  • Geocaching
  • Photography
  • Linux

I keep occupied... :eek:

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Just saw this thread too!

Not so much a hobby as an avocation, but I write and design Role Playing Games and War Games (not computer or video games, but the pencil and paper kinds). I've actually been a professional designer for 25 years now, and was one of the original design team members on FASA's Star Trek The Role Playing Game, and also did some work on their Doctor Who Role Playing Game. I currently am a partner in a small press game company:

https://www.microtactix.com

Appropriately, we do paper model buildings for role playing and miniature war games, so paper modelling has become another of my hobbies. Also, I love playing MMORPGs - my current game is City Of Heroes.

Greg

Greg, I play City of Heroes, too! To the point of having 3 50's in the Guardian server plus a slew of others.

What server do you play on?

Back