Any other hobbies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Dr Wogz
Apart for Rocketry,
we all must have another hobby, or maybe a few?!

My job is so much fun that if I had to have a "real" job to support myself so I could come do this for free in my spare time, I would. It is NOT safe to tell a supervisor that until you get to the point where you're over qualified for anything except that. Unless you have something else to do that you'd like just as much. I consider it as much fun as it is work, so it's like a hobby to me.

Linux. I do that, but is it a hobby? Sometimes I think Linux is like having cats: it's something people do for annoyance when they don't have kids. Yes, I have cats. I'm a cat herder. I guess I have a strong need for annoyance.

It's hard to recall how I filled my free time before I got into rocketry!

As a kid it was all model railways and plastic modelling.

Kinda dropped all of that in high school and concentrated on computers & girls.

Towards the end of high school I got into playing in bands, and that saw me through several years until I had a family coming along.

After I quit the band it was computers again, lots of gaming, (I used to be quite adept at wringing the last few K of "real" memory out of DOS!) until rocketry came along and took up all of my time. I see computers as a tool now.

Recently I was quite heavily involved in UKRA in the UK, which doesn't much sound like a hobby, but it takes up lots of time, and you don't get paid, so I figure it counts!

Through all of that I've been a keen reader, primarily SF (Heinlein/Clarke/Asimov/Simak/Niven/Steele/Gibson/Sterling/Robinson, that sort of thing), but I read an increasingly wide range of stuff these days, and I'm particularly interested in the history of spaceflight.

I was tempted by microlighting a few years ago, and was almost talked into buying one with a friend, but it was just outside of my financial means, really.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Oh yeah- photography! I'm not really into it, i just take a lot of pics. Karl, do you hvae a darkroom?

Nope not as of yet , but I do have a few rarther expensive cameras ! Do you have a dark-room?
-Karl

Originally posted by Elapid
skydiving...not gonna jump out of a perfectly good airplane
inline skating takes coordination...i lack much of that...
hehehe!

Why NOT! It's a real rush! 7 jumps no damage:) Skydiving, hanglideing, White water rafting, Surfing, Foot Ball, HI & Broad Jump are all thing I have to list as in The Past:( but I'd do again if the Back and Knee every let me:) We pay for our youth;)

Only one extreme that makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense...tying unconnected pieces of rubber bands incased in a cotton/nylon cover around your ankles and jumping off hi places. Bungee jumping is just plain IDIOTIC.;) If people knew how bungee cords are made they'd NEVER do it. OH Yea and Ban Soccer.. the most dangerous personal injury sport out there.;)

Other hobbies I enjoy:

Handfishing along the Amazon for Pirana.

Just kidding:D :D

Golf.. nope.. even one of these days when revkeith and I meet..no golf. Well, maybe.

Until I took up rocketry I really didn't have any hobbies. Work, home and family pretty much consumed my time. When the kids married off and left the wife said: "You are driving me nuts! Find something to do!" And I did, rocketry!!! I've got to say, she is very supportive of my rocketry hobby and even went with me on Monday to fly. We had a great time. Grandpa and Grandma flying rockets, now, there is a picture.

Anyway, each aspect of rocketry is an adventure for me and currently I am attempting to make my own igniters. I'm learning new things all the time and my current level of enjoyment doesn't leave any time for other hobbies. I do like, and maybe someday delve into, R/C park flyers and R/C monster trucks.

Oh man, Here we go.

In the past 20 years I have been, or still am involved in:

HO slot cars (I have a 4-lane 18x6 foot racetrack in the basement.)

O scale trains (I have a huge train table that never seems to be finished)

Full sized cars: I used to restore and show Corvairs. I got out of that a few years ago (got married) But now I have a new Mini Cooper that I am lavishing time on.

1/32 slot cars and scale model car collecting and building. Have sold much of this collection, but have a few favorites left.

A Revolutionary War living history group. I am a drummer in the British 64th British Regiment. We do battle re-enactments, school programs, parades, period encampments, etc. This also inckludes a fair amount of personal historical research.

WWI Armor model building (1/35 scale)

1/64 scale Rev War model ship building... from scratch from original plans.

25mm Napoleonic wargaming.

Coin collecting: British coins from 1650-1775

All of these hobbies have their own library of books.

Oh yeah, I have 30 nieces and nephews from age 1 to 28. They keep me busy, and there are always a few kids available to fly rockets!!

That's it for now.

Other than Rocketry?

Kites. If the wind is calm, up go the rockets. If the wind is nice and steady, up goes the lifters and sky laundry.

Hockey. No, I don't play. But I'm a junky of a fan.

Boating - I love my boat. Recreational boating, tubing, swimming, fishing; I turn into a regular lake rat in the summertime.

I also love my tropical fish. I keep a 125 gallon tank and collect exotic Plecostamus (plecostomi?) as well as African catfish. My prized fish is a 9" sunburst pleco (worth over $300, grown from a 1" fry)

Those things and chasing the kids around take up almost all of my time.... :cool:

'Major' interests:

Alcohol
Food
Sleeping
Listening to music (Punk & Reggae, mostly)
Listening to Radio Comedy
Amature Dramatics
Dr Who

'More than just a passing' interests:

Kites
Watching TV Comedy
Trains

Things I've been into, when I was younger:

Lego
Action Man
Swimming
Singing in a Church Choir (STOP LAUGHING!!!)
Online Gaming

With referance to my interest in Amature Dramatics (this hobby is equal first place, in my schedule, with Rockets & Alcohol), heres a picture of me & the rest of the cast of my group's latest production: Neil Simon's 'Rumors'. The show was just over a month ago, and went down a treat with the audience. I'm second in from the left, in the back row, wearing the white Dinner Jacket, stood next to the male Babylon. I normally say "I'm the one with the beard", but I had to be clean shaven for this role. (BTW, the lady's everyday makeup suffered under the stage lights, and made them all look pale. They don't look like Blow-Up-Dolls in real life, honest!)

Originally posted by Karl
Nope not as of yet , but I do have a few rarther expensive cameras ! Do you have a dark-room?
-Karl

Nope, I'm all digital.

Now that my racing is done on Hydroracer.net, my hobbies are model rocketry (of course) and model railroading. HO MODEL RAILROADING::)

Erm....

Electric on road R\C cars
Music (Rock/Metal)
Sleep is good
And my cat :)

Phil

Current:
Amateur astronomy
Books
Yard work (not really a hobby, but consumes much time)
Softball

Past:
R/C planes
Sailplanes (the real ones, not models)
Coin collecting
A few others that slip my mind.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
I play paintball too Jojo. I would suppose you've been to either Pev's (AG) or Skyline (or both).

I'll be taking my nephew to Skyline for his birthday on the 26th(he turns 10 and has been waiting 2 years to play paintball with me). :D

yea i used to play at pevs but it's insanly expensive, now i go to total eclipsehttps://www.totaleclipsehasairball.com/. good friendly service and extremely cheap too (zap primer is 35 bucks a case)
also they have like 4 sponsered teams (in case your nephew is intrested) and the best part is free entry and 10 dollars all day air. only downside is they only have three fields, one woods, one airball, and one wood pallett field.

Hunting (bowhunting, to be exact)
Making arrows for hunting
Blowguns
BB Guns
Pellet guns
Photographing rockets, prefferably in the air :D
EV Nova (really fun, or addicting, computer game from Ambrosia SW.)
old Abbot and Costello movies (I dont know if I spelled that right...)
Snakes
Fishing (catch and release. If I actually caught something bigger than a mackrel, I might keep it:D )
Boating
Kayaking
Birdwatching
Golf
Dogs

Lesse, what have I forgotten? :D Besides rockets, that is... But that doesent really count in this. Oh yeah.

Surfing TRF day in and day out:D I dont have the highest post count, but if there was thing that counted time-on-TRF, I would be right up there!:D

Street luge. In March I reached 70mph+, fastest since my wreck in August 2003.

shrox

street luge...bungee jumping...(ok, maybe skydiving)

you say 7 jumps and still ok...you do realize after the fatal jump you don't get to brag about it...there's no feedback from the unsuccessful ones...lol!

I did a bit of acting in college, chemistry...i ate, slept, and breathed chemistry for years (top of my class in college) and have a bit of equipment *just in case* i need it. stamps, coins...oh yeah!

I have a 100g tank with a 24" (or so) Australian Arowana and a foot-long common H. plecostomus.

marine biology was a major interest when i was a kid too...i went to OMSI Arago, a summer camp several years in a row...they called me 'Snakeboy' because i caught a lot of snakes.
hehehe!

A foot -long common H. Plecostawhatums?????????
Flying_Silverado, come on over and we'll take a high speed tour of the neighborhood, that'll fire'em up! loojack:rolleyes:

Originally posted by JoJo
yea i used to play at pevs but it's insanly expensive, now i go to total eclipsehttps://www.totaleclipsehasairball.com/. good friendly service and extremely cheap too (zap primer is 35 bucks a case)
also they have like 4 sponsered teams (in case your nephew is intrested) and the best part is free entry and 10 dollars all day air. only downside is they only have three fields, one woods, one airball, and one wood pallett field.

Skyline is pretty good. Field fee is $10 or Free with any case of paint. $10 all day air. They have many really good fields there.

https://www.skylinepaintball.com

Flying R.C. airplanes, but not as much lately.

This is my toy of choice:) Even though I don't get to fly it as much as I'd like either.........Larry

Mostly outdoors stuff: Climbing, backpacking, hunting, fishing, orienteering, MTB.
Soccer (they say "Over thirty league", yeah right 10 minutes over thirty!).
Ham radio, model railroad (HO Suncook Valley RR).
Most of these I do with my kids.

Music, technically doesn't count as a hobby. It's a second job but I love it anyway.
Bob

In years passed I've done a good share of the hobby shop hobbies--Model railroading (I still have an N-scale stash), plastic models (mostly aircraft and spacecraft, a few sailing ships and a few more recent warships), model aiplanes (never accomplished anything satisfying in that one--just a few very fragile scale rubber-powered models that I didn't dare to fly).

I still do a tad of amateur astronomy (still debating where to catch the Transit of Venus tuesday), though I was fanatical about it in the past. I was an avid astrophotographer many years ago.

I've ruined model rocketry as ahobby by making a business out of it, so for the last two years my biggest pure hobby has been making music. I play a mountain dulcimer. I think I'm pretty good at it, but that might be because I never hear anyone else play. I compose music both for the dulcimer and for my computer. Here is a page about my music-making with links to some of my original music, for what it's worth:

https://members.aol.com/petealway/music.htm

Lately, after stumbling into a Lego Saturn V at the store, I have reactivated an old closet hobby of mine--making things with Lego. I hadn't realized what a subculture of "Adult Fans of Lego" there was. And there are places on the internet where you can order just that one piece you need to make whatever it was that you always wanted to make as a kid, but couldn't.

Yeah, basically I'm wasting my life away on hobbies instead of wasting it doing anything useful.

Peter, I've been going round your music site listening to all your music. Very Good!

I had great fun singing along to all your "Horrible Songs"! I've still got them stuck in my head!

Back