Any news on Estes' B.O.S.S. availability?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool stuff. imma pick one up first day of availability. i like the designer kits for the history and the backstories as much as for the design. also, i note that it must have been pretty easy to be a barber back in the day.

The coming soon page is completely gone from the site so that doesn’t bode well.

Well, the U.S.S. Atlantis looked more than a little Trek-ish (SCC-7107 vs. NCC-1701), so it wouldn't be the first time. There's also the Photon Disruptor, which isn't, legally speaking, a torpedo. 🤣

I always figured Estes would have done well to work with sci-fi show producers from the beginning to make sure their spacecraft were easy to turn into flyable merchandise.

"Estes-prise"

Am I the only one who thinks the rear section resembles the TOS Starship Enterprise?

Just a bit bigger on the disk and a bit forward...then the bt is painted black and nose cone painted like a photon torpedo... (I sound like myself as a kid in the 70s lol).
:)
Before I read that, I already has this screen grab in my clipboard to post about it.
1670002922781.png
To me, it has a strong Starfleet vibe, but not the Constitution class or its successors. More like the cargo tug from the old Technical Manual, or the Miranda class (e.g. Reliant).
1670003464679.png 1670003672951.png

Anyway, it is definitely a nifty design, though I might shorten it a bit if the stability doesn't suffer too much. (Helooo, nose weight!)
-------------------------------
EDIT: Lest anyone misunderstand (I'm looking at you, Cayote) I didn't mean shortening it to look like the tug. I only meant that it looks a little oddly proportioned to me, and I'd like it better with about a third of the length taken off.

Last edited:
Before I read that, I already has this screen grab in my clipboard to post about it.
View attachment 548907
To me, it has a strong Starfleet vibe, but not the Constitution class or its successors. More like the cargo tug from the old Technical Manual, or the Miranda class (e.g. Reliant).
View attachment 548911 View attachment 548912

Anyway, it is definitely a nifty design, though I might shorten it a bit if the stability doesn't suffer too much. (Helooo, nose weight!)
-------------------------------
EDIT: Lest anyone misunderstand (I'm looking at you, Cayote) I didn't mean shortening it to look like the tug. I only meant that it looks a little oddly proportioned to me, and I'd like it better with about a third of the length taken off.
One of my long term projects which I think about from time to time is to make a sport scale version of the Enterprise as a rocket using all sorts of odd ideas I've been testing...maybe next year.

BTW I don't believe nose weight alone is enough to make a round disc-forward rocket stable...that'd be too easy! :)

One of my long term projects which I think about from time to time is to make a sport scale version of the Enterprise as a rocket using all sorts of odd ideas I've been testing...maybe next year.

BTW I don't believe nose weight alone is enough to make a round disc-forward rocket stable...that'd be too easy! :)

Fly it bass ackwards. Stability guaranteed!

"Estes-prise"

Am I the only one who thinks the rear section resembles the TOS Starship Enterprise?

Just a bit bigger on the disk and a bit forward...then the bt is painted black and nose cone painted like a photon torpedo... (I sound like myself as a kid in the 70s lol).
:)
No, I thought of that also when I first saw it, and also the USS Atlantis refit from Sirius Rocketry. I am also waiting patiently for this one. Already got the Super Orbital Transport, Mars Snooper and thinking of saving my nickels for the Falcon 9.

How did you get that if they aren't suppose to be released until next year?
One of the classic kit resellers on FB has already sold on a B.O.S.S. - he’s being rather tight-lipped about where he got it originally though he did admit that it wasn’t a pre-production kit.

It's definitely a real Estes kit guys.
The cost to clone the box alone would be crazy.
The parts are very simple however but still not clone worthy due to costs.
I have no Affiliation with Estes And I have no idea what their plans are or how these got out. But of course I can't tell you were I got them
🚀🎅 😉

Back