Any interest in a "My Own Design" build contest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scotty, you really hit a home run by getting this rolling! The builds have been amazing to follow and I have a few new ideas to play with now. This definitely needs to be an annual event!

Its a group thing. Thanks for the props on getting it rolling.
And a big YO to the TRFers that turned out to take part.
Its turning out to be a super talent show this summer here on TRF.
Space and time are getting short, time to lite that candle.

WOW Here we are already. DANG it goes too FAST.
I am sooo impressed by you guys. Talk about a talent show.
Maybe we can challenge another forum for a summer build off.
Anywhoo------ A BIG HATS OFF to Matt /Blackbrant as he is the one putting the voting poll together.
Due to user and machine issues, I asked if he could set it up and he said "No Proplem"!

I guess it time I get out the brown wrapping paper.
Ill post picks again of the "Kitty".

Here's the poll. Vote for first place, second place, and third place. All contestants in the poll are from rockets that had a build thread link posted in this thread, and a successful flight documented. If you do not see your flight, please let me know ASAP and I will add it.

EDIT: Poll closed. Didn't mean to put it out today. This poll will open after labor day.

Last edited:
Really, though, that poll shouldn't be collecting votes yet - not everyone is finished. We've got through Labor Day, right? The voting shouldn't open until after the build window closes...

Really, though, that poll shouldn't be collecting votes yet - not everyone is finished. We've got through Labor Day, right? The voting shouldn't open until after the build window closes...

I jumped in and voted (itchy trigger finger) but you're right, this should go properly until Labor Day. And DaddyIsABar's entry was missing.

Existing votes (including mine) should be cleared and reopened on Tuesday I think.

Whoops, sorry about that. Misunderstood something from Scotty. I have cleared the 3 votes I've received so far. Sorry about that.

I'm sure the admins here at TRF wouldn't mind if the poll gets posted as its own thread in several forums here for maximum exposure and as much participation from the membership as possible. When it's officially time to post it, of course.

Yeah. :) That post was in between binge completion of school assignments and I wasn't thinking. Sorry again.

WOW.. BACK OFF DUDES!!! Matt was nice enough to take on the task of posting the poll. Im sure NO ONE will be cheated! This is not an easy task. One has to go thru all the build threads, set up the poll, edit it if mistakes and there is a lot more involved than one would think.
I am at work at this moment and my home internet is out for a day or so. Our router thingy **** the bed and they sent us a new box. Now they say they cant activate the new box and it may take a DAY or TWO to do this activation.
SOOOOO...I asked and kinda dumped the poll onto MAT.

AGAIN,THANKS to MAT. With all you have going on in your personal life and to do this (post poll). Top notch brother. :clap:

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute. We didn't have through Labor Day. The official rules post stated we had though last weekend so that there'd be time to get the poll organized. I gave up on my rebuild when the posted deadline came and went.

When we wrote the rules, this was one that we put in ====
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).

Technically the build window is closed. And sign up window is closed. I agree the voting poll shouldn't open till Labor Day.

Last edited:
When we wrote the rules, this was one that we put in:
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.)

MAJOR EDIT. Man o man...:facepalm:

I was going to leave the build window open till Labor day.
HOWEVER, seeing this guy gave up on his rebuild on the 29th(going by the rules),
.Hey, wait a minute. We didn't have through Labor Day. The official rules post stated we had though last weekend so that there'd be time to get the poll organized. I gave up on my rebuild when the posted deadline came and went,
I cant bend the rules. BUILD WINDOW IS CLOSED....if ya don't like it. Well then..TS!

Now keep in mind...the rocket had to have a launch by the 29th..if ya did did that..I see no reason you cant keep working on the pigment and a tweak here and there.

Last edited:
I apologize if I contributed to the confusion. When I went back and checked the rules, the first thing I saw was "1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-Off" will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016". I took that to mean build and launch had to be by Labor Day, not realizing that rule #4 said August 29.

In any case, it'll be good to have Daddyisabar's entry on the ballot when voting restarts.

I apologize if I contributed to the confusion. When I went back and checked the rules, the first thing I saw was "1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-Off" will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016". I took that to mean build and launch had to be by Labor Day, not realizing that rule #4 said August 29.

In any case, it'll be good to have Daddyisabar's entry on the ballot when voting restarts.
No problem. I could/should have been more on top of this..(contest).
Hey, be calm and we'll get the bugs out of this contest this year,cuz....I do believe its on again next summer.

With the local burn bans still in effect it took an old fashioned road trip with the fellas to find a club launch before the deadline passed. Three guys packed in the car with all their rocket stuff. With all the rocket stories being told those long drives seemed quite short. Why is it so easy to get up real early to go to a rocket launch, yet so hard to get up early and go to work? Being launch deprived all Summer one of the fellas was so excited to go he stayed up most of the night before, made the early leave time and still had enough adrenaline to launch the entire day in the heat. Then he did it all over again the next week, and he was not even entered into this contest.

I made the same mistake. I guess reading comprehension has its place... :blush: Per Scotty's above comment, I'm still going to finish painting mine this week, and see if I can get some "finalized" photos posted this weekend, since I at least managed to get my CATO, er, flight, in on time.

I already have an idea for next year's theme that I think would be great. Maybe I'll sponsor the contest next year and let the details of my idea be known later.

One more question for Matt before voting restarts: it looked like the poll mechanism you put up before allowed multiple (unlimited?) votes for each person. Is that what you wanted? It's possible I'm wrong about this, since I didn't *try* to vote again, but it looked like I could.

One more question for Matt before voting restarts: it looked like the poll mechanism you put up before allowed multiple (unlimited?) votes for each person. Is that what you wanted? It's possible I'm wrong about this, since I didn't *try* to vote again, but it looked like I could.
Isn't that how the democrats do it. :wink:

I already have an idea for next year's theme that I think would be great. Maybe I'll sponsor the contest next year and let the details of my idea be known later.
I kinda missed not having a dog in this fight. But, it sure was/is good sitting back and seeing all the cool threads in "Scratch" this summer.Well worth the time and swag to me.

Congrats to all the entrants! This event gave me lots of enjoyment this summer. Voting is going to be tough.

I'm going off of honor system. The only way to set it up for one vote only is requiring a sign in with a google account, which would limit voters. Trying to make voting convenient here.

If people would prefer it, I can set it where it requires a sign in before voting.

Trying to keep results private until the end of the competition to avoid any voting bias ("Oh, he's 12 votes behind, I'm not going to vote for him") as well as the poll setup I currently have allows for a first, second, and third place vote (first place vote gives that contestant 3 points, second place 2, and third place 1).

I'm going off of honor system. The only way to set it up for one vote only is requiring a sign in with a google account, which would limit voters. Trying to make voting convenient here.

If people would prefer it, I can set it where it requires a sign in before voting.

And just how are you in the know, that it would limit voters? Assuming, only a small number of folks have a google account? And lets face it. Just because we're all birds of a feather here, doesn't exclude the dishonest person. Greed is grows exponentially all the time. I did like Neil did. I cast my votes and left. But I also gave thought and wondered if someone could vote a bunch of times just so they would win. I was tempted to try it so I could report the flaw in the voting system. And if you don't manage it where a person only has one chance to vote, then it's flawed.

Back