Any info about AT I49 & I59 endburners?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanFrank

Reaction score
Hi, Wondering if anybody has heard anything more on the Aerotech I49 and the I59 Warp 9 endburners that are supposed to be released sometime in the future?
Would love to fly them with my Cineroc camera.
Thanks, Daniel

OK, I found a thread about the instructions needing to be written up. Anybody know the release date or have a link to the thrust curve?
Thanks, Daniel

Hi, Wondering if anybody has heard anything more on the Aerotech I49 and the I59 Warp 9 endburners that are supposed to be released sometime in the future?
Would love to fly them with my Cineroc camera.
Thanks, Daniel

This flying season.

Gary,
Sounds like a great long-burn motor! I can't wait to see this motor used as a sustainer in a 2-stager.

The liner must be getting pretty thick now, eh? Must be at least 3/32" for an 8 second burn.

Also, will AT be notching the face of the endburner to give a slightly higher initial Kn? The G69's can be a bit tricky when dealing with igniters....

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply. I see that these new endburners will need the "38mm Endburn-Style Forward Closure Plugged". Can you comment on what the differences are with this endburn style plugged closure and the normal 38mm plugged closure?
By the way, I finally found a copy of the "mini-cineroc" plans you did years back.
Thanks, Daniel

Last edited:
Gary,
Sounds like a great long-burn motor! I can't wait to see this motor used as a sustainer in a 2-stager.

The liner must be getting pretty thick now, eh? Must be at least 3/32" for an 8 second burn.

Also, will AT be notching the face of the endburner to give a slightly higher initial Kn? The G69's can be a bit tricky when dealing with igniters....

I've always wondered this - what does Kn mean?

Kn = Ag/At

Ag = surface area of fuel grain
At = area of nozzle throat

Kn relates roughly to pressure. The relationship is non-linear but monotonic.

Warp9 motors probably run with a Kn no more than 170. Blue thunder perhaps around 250. WL around 300. As the grain burns, the Kn can change...

Kn is just a useful number to throw around that makes us feel smart.

That is the thing about KN. You can use any propellant you want. If you say have a 54mm 3 grain J. If you use .75" cores and a .435 nozzle every single propellant will have the same KN just different pressures/burns etc.

Ben

I don't want to get the thread sidetracked, but then what is the significance of Kn? Like...what characteristics does Kn attribute to the motor's performance?

The liner is just the black phenolic liner. I've flown two of the what now is the I49 was the I59 when I flew them in my 38mm minimum diameter.

About the forward closure I just used the standard forward closure. You just have to remember to grease the top end of fuel grain and grease both ends of the delay element.

Thanks again Gary for letting demo these reloads.

I don't want to get the thread sidetracked, but then what is the significance of Kn? Like...what characteristics does Kn attribute to the motor's performance?
Kn is the ratio of the propellant burning surface area to the nozzle throat area.

The rate of gas generation is proportional to the burn rate x the burning surface area.

The pressure within the motor is dependent upon the rate of gas generation and the area of the nozzle throat area.

To a first order approximation, a fast burning APCP propellant like Warp9 has a burn rate of up to 2.5 cm/s (1" per second) where as a more standard APCP propellant has a burn rate of ~ 1 cm/s (0.4" per second). So to achieve the same chamber pressure, the Kn for Warp9 must be ~2.5x lower than a more standard APCP propellant.

Bob

Motor makings fun huh?! When are you going to make it down to a Red Glare?

Ben

Haha. I have no clue, but I'm sure it won't be for a while. I'd love to make it down before I end high school though., as I still have three more years.

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply. I see that these new endburners will need the "38mm Endburn-Style Forward Closure Plugged". Can you comment on what the differences are with this endburn style plugged closure and the normal 38mm plugged closure?
By the way, I finally found a copy of the "mini-cineroc" plans you did years back.
Thanks, Daniel
Daniel,

The endburn-style 38mm forward closure eliminates the need for all the delay components as it is "fully plugged". It also includes a recovery system anchor (5/16-18 UNC thread) as well as a threaded boss for the Electronic Forward Closure.

Are the mini-cineroc plans in electronic format? My originals were destroyed in the 2001 AeroTech fire.

OK, I found a thread about the instructions needing to be written up. Anybody know the release date or have a link to the thrust curve?
Thanks, Daniel
The instructions are complete and have been submitted to the certifying agency. Certification should be granted shortly.

Excellent news Gary!! I'm looking forward to those motors. Now I need to pester my dealer into getting me some, and the closure. :)

Gary and Karl were at Mudrock this weekend and had an I49 for demo. I'm a sucker for long burn but everything I had with me was too heavy for a motor that only puts out 10 lbs of thrust. So Justin Lawyer and I teamed up to design and build a rocket Saturday afternoon so that we could fly the I49 Sunday AM.

I'll put a build thread on HPR about what we actually built (Impending Doom), it was kinda crazy. But, I thought I'd post here just to say thank-you to the Aerotech guys for letting us have the motor. It is truly awesome to watch a motor burn for 7 full seconds - it was still burning when that little rocket was completely out of sight.

Mike Parker

Gary and Karl were at Mudrock this weekend and had an I49 for demo. I'm a sucker for long burn but everything I had with me was too heavy for a motor that only puts out 10 lbs of thrust. So Justin Lawyer and I teamed up to design and build a rocket Saturday afternoon so that we could fly the I49 Sunday AM.

I'll put a build thread on HPR about what we actually built (Impending Doom), it was kinda crazy. But, I thought I'd post here just to say thank-you to the Aerotech guys for letting us have the motor. It is truly awesome to watch a motor burn for 7 full seconds - it was still burning when that little rocket was completely out of sight.

Mike Parker
You're welcome Mike, and thanks for flying it.

FYI the I49N & I59WN reloads are being delivered to dealers now.

Oh, and if you like the 38mm long burns you're going to love this:

[YOUTUBE]EZieobO9ZQg[/YOUTUBE]

Gary - do think they will be "findable" at LDRS?

So get back to that "other project" we were discussing at TARC...

A

I think Wildman has some on order...maybe Performance too.

We're waiting for the aft closures to arrive on the other project. ;)

Oooh Oooh! :eyepop:I sense a perfect motor for my L2 PR Competitor3! More info please! And what ever happened to the 54/2800 case upcoming? Haven't heard much about it.

Ken

Thanks for the update. Kenny supposedly has ordered some...and I have dibs on a couple of them. Hope they're out soon.

Oooh Oooh! :eyepop:I sense a perfect motor for my L2 PR Competitor3! More info please! And what ever happened to the 54/2800 case upcoming? Haven't heard much about it.

Ken

k375nw-p_time-thrust.jpg

The K1050W-P for the 54/2800 case is available now.

Very nice thrust curve. I hope to see more of the boost-sustain profile motors coming, preferably right at the top end of each impulse range for some new altitude records!

And what's this 54/2986 case showing up on Rouse-Tech's motor matrix? Hmmm Inquiring minds want to know! Long pipes = good.

Ken

Daniel,

The endburn-style 38mm forward closure eliminates the need for all the delay components as it is "fully plugged". It also includes a recovery system anchor (5/16-18 UNC thread) as well as a threaded boss for the Electronic Forward Closure.

Are the mini-cineroc plans in electronic format? My originals were destroyed in the 2001 AeroTech fire.

I'm a little confused on this. Ares the endburn-style forward closures required to fly the reload, or just optional if you don't want to deal with the delay stuff?

I'm a little confused on this. Ares the endburn-style forward closures required to fly the reload, or just optional if you don't want to deal with the delay stuff?

It was certified with the new closure. Technically it is possible to plug an existing closure with the longest delay and pack all the remaining void space with grease, and the motor would function properly.

[YOUTUBE]EZieobO9ZQg[/YOUTUBE]

Very nice :D

Anybody have a link to the Rocksim files for the I49N and the I59WN?

Thanks,
Mike

Back