any homecoming traditions for regular travelers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
My job, like a lot of others I've seen on here requires international travel. I'm just back from a trip to Switzerland (not home yet, but one US side leg left) and am relishing a Stone IPA. US beers get an undeservedly bad rap in Europe, because our "big ones" are dumbed down versions of their own rather trite brews. Asia's even worse- all they have is basic lager.
I'm also a home brewer, so I may have a particular affinity for beer, but the first sip of a hoppy, clean brew refreshes me like nothing else can.

What are the other traveler's favorite homecoming experiences?

I'm with you on the beer, it is hard to find a decent IPA outside of the US. Our tradition is stopping by the Big Burger, a local greasy spoon that serves good American cheeseburgers.

For me, it was coming home and having a big burger and fries, or pizza. Worst pizza I ever ate was in Germany. It had some odd greasy meats, and it had green beans on it. :surprised:

Worst pizza I ever ate was in Germany. It had some odd greasy meats, and it had green beans on it. :surprised:

I was in the Czech Republic where they served us pizza with tuna and corn on it. I was appalled, but one of the locals came in and said "Hey! Tuna and corn- my favorite!"

I travel 6-12 times a year to Europe. I always crave Mexican food on the way home. Not many Mexican places in the EU, although I did go to a decent one in Rouen, France once.

We go to my local Mexican place...hard to find good Tex-Mex in Japan.

Since I generally work night on a 7 day a week, 12 or 13 hour shift for multiple weeks, I sleep a lot.
Generally, if I am home in time, I also get to regain my kitchen duties as soon as I walk through the door.
Doesn't matter what time I get home, I also regain my duty as Daughters alarm clock ( & driver if she misses the school bus).

The dogs are always happy to see me....

While Germany may have the best german food, England has good food from former colonies, France has good french, etc., the US is second to none for a wide variety of excellent food from many places. And I usually get late flights in, so my coming home tradition is often to go to sleep. But I do get hungry for pizza and hamburgers.

Personally, I love pizza in Europe. Thin crust, minimal toppings and cooked in a real wood burning oven. Excellent. So much better than the greasy things you get from Dominos or Pizza Hut.

I travel every week, but only out of state, not country. I'm a beer drinker as well, though I don't believe in such a thing as a "good" IPA. Give me a good Lager or Stout any day, and don't make it too cold. The best Stout IMO... Buffalo Sweat by Tallgrass Brewery. As far as homecoming tradition... Unpack, start a load of laundry, grab a beer and a stogie and have a sit on the front porch, then off to bed by 10PM.

I was in the Czech Republic where they served us pizza with tuna and corn on it. I was appalled, but one of the locals came in and said "Hey! Tuna and corn- my favorite!"

I travel 6-12 times a year to Europe. I always crave Mexican food on the way home. Not many Mexican places in the EU, although I did go to a decent one in Rouen, France once.

We go to my local Mexican place...hard to find good Tex-Mex in Japan.

I had some GREAT Mexican in Shanghai once, but when I went back a few months later, the flavor had changed drastically, becoming much more "Chinese" (5-spice powder in the fajitas, for example). I agree with both- Mexican is hard to find. Pizza in other nations (aside from Italy) is always fun- not always tasty, but interesting for sure!

Since I generally work night on a 7 day a week, 12 or 13 hour shift for multiple weeks, I sleep a lot.
Generally, if I am home in time, I also get to regain my kitchen duties as soon as I walk through the door.
Doesn't matter what time I get home, I also regain my duty as Daughters alarm clock ( & driver if she misses the school bus).

The dogs are always happy to see me....

My wife is a good cook, but doesn't enjoy it, so when I'm traveling, I miss being in the kitchen the most. We have a rescued Dane, who has abandonment issues- when we all go away, we have a pet sitter, but when it's just me the poor bastard practically rattles himself apart from the tail shaking.

While Germany may have the best german food, England has good food from former colonies, France has good french, etc., the US is second to none for a wide variety of excellent food from many places. And I usually get late flights in, so my coming home tradition is often to go to sleep. But I do get hungry for pizza and hamburgers.

I mostly agree- but find that we've got some gaps where I live (southwest)- we've got the market cornered on Mexican, of course, and have some pretty ok Italian, some nice Indian, but I crave a good doner/iskender kabab every now and then!
slightly ironic. ;)

Agreed! Although I was traveling outside of England...

Personally, I love pizza in Europe. Thin crust, minimal toppings and cooked in a real wood burning oven. Excellent. So much better than the greasy things you get from Dominos or Pizza Hut.

you gotta come to buffalo.... I never eat pizza hut and I don't even think we have a Dominos...

Picaso's two slice lunch box-
32353849720_bce154c7af.jpg

I'm gone 18 days per month, up to 7 days at a time. After giving everyone a big hug, a cold Alaskan Amber usually does the trick.

With my old job I traveled a lot, never out of the country though. Would be gone anywhere from a few days to...my longest stint was 3 months. A good friend and I would spend the next day with chips and salsa, Michelob Ultra and Champions: Return to Arms on PlayStation 2. Usually gamed until early morning. Sleep late then fire up the grill and have some friends over..ahh good times. I don't travel much anymore and haven't seen him in years, but I've matured a bit and now my beer of choice is a good Amber.

Mikey D

I travel throughout NA and Europe about 40% of the year. Coming home after taking those country roads back to West Virginia, I typically enjoy a cold pilsner and the best pepperoni rolls on earth!!

I'm gone about half the month. When out, I eat really bad. Lots of time spent searching for the best BBQ, burgers or pizza in the region. So when I get home, lots of salads and lean proteins to undo the damage that was done.

My Asia travels leave me craving nice COLD SKIM MILK !!

It always depends upon where I've been and what I CAN'T get and start craving while I'm gone. Often, it's Pepsi products or chocolate.

Back