Any H S/U Motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Are there any type H single use motors available anywhere? Either 29 or 38 mm is fine.

I think Ellis Mtn. makes single-use H motors. Check Magnum's website.

Originally posted by Chilly
I think Ellis Mtn. makes single-use H motors. Check Magnum's website.

That's correct. The EM SU H motors are low thrust/long burns. You better have something reasonably lightweight but kinda draggy to keep the altitude reasonable. EM motors, at least the 29 & 38mm SU ones I've seen, are a lot like the Energizer Bunny. The just keep going...and going...and going...

That's why I use 'em in saucers, spools, & Qubits :D :cool:

Be warned though: they do NOT come with ignitors. I have used copperheads to light mine with reasonable success (for a copperhead :rolleyes: ). Other ignitors have been prone to getting caught in the nozzle resulting in a pretty nasty CATO :eek:

AT makes some too. H125W, H45W, H124J, H50W, and H70W if memory serves... All exept the H45W are 29MM, the H45 is 38MM.

Originally posted by Neil
AT makes some too. H125W, H45W, H124J, H50W, and H70W if memory serves... All exept the H45W are 29MM, the H45 is 38MM.

AT has those listed on their web site, but they don't appear in the price listing on buyrockets.com

I figured with the problems they've been overcoming, they'd be sticking to their higher volume RMS stuff first.

I'll have to call Magnum. They not only list a few of EM's "class B" HPR (their useage) S/U motors, but also some of AT's. If they've got them in stock, problem solved.

Except for choosing. The bird that needs them most is a 29mm minimum diameter, coming in so far at less than 8 oz. I don't care so much about altitude, but I do about speed. I want to bust Mach with this thing, but not sure whether long or short burn would be best.

Plus, of course, I'll need to arrange to have someone L1+ receive it for me and do my L1 cert.

If you want to break mach with an 8 OZ bird, you want a G125. You dont need a cert, but some places want a NAR membership # for that motor... Ask around at CMASS, someone had one a while back... I was looking for one, but I found someone with an H125 they were giving away, so I decided that was better. ;) Sorry, I forget who it was who had the G125, or I would say... But its definetly enough to break mach with, especially in something that light.

The SU HPR motor need LEUPs, and are Restricted Access, because they contain over 62.5 grams of propellant. If you have a LEUP or know someone with a LEUP, you could have the SU motor mailed to them, and then have them bring it to the launch. We are game for a deal like that if you need it.

Im not sure how much AP is in a G125, though... :(

I dont think they have made any of the SU HPR motors again after the fire... I hope they start doing it again, I cant go using reloads in my machbusters... ;)

Besides, once I burn that H125, im gonna cut the forward and aft bulkheads off, clean it out, and make a rocket out of it... ;) Thats the advantage to really really long SU motors... :D :D

Besides, once I burn that H125, im gonna cut the forward and aft bulkheads off, clean it out, and make a rocket out of it... ;) Thats the advantage to really really long SU motors... :D :D

One more sign you are obsessed: Taking motors you used to make rocket out of them...;)

If you want to break mach with an 8 OZ bird, you want a G125. You dont need a cert, but some places want a NAR membership # for that motor... Ask around at CMASS, someone had one a while back... I was looking for one, but I found someone with an H125 they were giving away, so I decided that was better. ;) Sorry, I forget who it was who had the G125, or I would say... But its definetly enough to break mach with, especially in something that light.

The SU HPR motor need LEUPs, and are Restricted Access, because they contain over 62.5 grams of propellant. If you have a LEUP or know someone with a LEUP, you could have the SU motor mailed to them, and then have them bring it to the launch. We are game for a deal like that if you need it.

I'm not finding any G125s, but I am finding some intersting S/U stuff at Ellis Mountain. Hangar 11 usually services the CATO launches with engines and carries some EM stuff so I suppose they could order other things not normally on their web page/catalog.

Dynasoar

As others said Ellis has some SU 29mm H

I did level 1 on an H50 and plan on an I69 at the first launch in Sterling. The only thing is these beasts are long the I69 is on the order of 12" in length. And yes, they have burn times measuresd in weeks.

I'm doing a pickup for the launch in 2 weeks, LMK today if you want either.

A

Okay, time to play amateur lawyer...
Do we really need a LEUP at this point to buy single-use H motors? They are "fully assembled" after all, and thus covered by the PAD exemption for however long that lasts.

repeat after me:

1. there is NO 62.5 gram limit....yet...and for the foreseeable future.....

2. according to the recent court ruling, ALL SU fully assembled motors are considered PADS and therefore are exempt from a LEUP.......

3. The fact that some vendors require LEUP for SU motors is a business and personal decision , otherwise known as CYA....

https://www.nar.org/NARfrompres.html

That's pretty much what I thought. Case closed!

I'm going to Magnum soon for some reloads, maybe Ross will sell me an Ellis SU. I'd love to put a long-burn H or I in my Weasel...the only way that bird will ever see anything bigger than an F40 is single-use. Otherwise there's too much risk of losing an RMS casing.

They (G125s) are proabably not in production yet, so they are proabably not on the vendors websites. Send an email to the CMASS mailing list, and I can almost gurantee that there is someone with one that they are willing to trade/sell. Plus, you can proabably pick it up from them at the next CMASS launch, so you can save on shipping too.

I wouldent fly it at CMASS, though... I dont think the neighbors would apreciate that kind of noise... ;) Besides, you would never get it back. Come up to Cherryfield at Labor Day, we have 600 acres of blueberry barrens... Thats where I am going to fly MY mach buster... :D

I have an idea!!! Lets have a mach-buster drag race!!! :D

Yep. i am obssessed. :D

But once I cut the forward and aft bulkheads off that SU H, I have at least 10" of good tubing... :D

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Dynasoar

As others said Ellis has some SU 29mm H

I did level 1 on an H50 and plan on an I69 at the first launch in Sterling. The only thing is these beasts are long the I69 is on the order of 12" in length. And yes, they have burn times measuresd in weeks.

I'm doing a pickup for the launch in 2 weeks, LMK today if you want either.

A

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. We can't fly an H at Durham, and by the time of the next Sterling launch I'll probably be hooked up with DARS. I've got plenty of 18 and 24 mm birds that need their shake down, and I should probably shake this mach buster down on a 24 first time up.

I don't think I saw it mentioned in any of these posts....Ellis also has a new H275 SU motor with fast propellant. Burns in like a second or so. I want one of those!

I flew one of those in May, 1.06 second burn. Awsome:D

Originally posted by xenon
I flew one of those in May, 1.06 second burn. Awsome:D

Was it hard to light? What was the visual output of the propellant? Just standard low smoke, orange flame fast?

It light on the first try with a QuickBurst Slim Gem that was included with the motor.

When I can, I'll take a look at the video to see what the effect was like, I think it was like a White Lightning with a touch less smoke

Back