Any guesses on new rockets in the 2023 catalog?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, missed that. In that case, with the addition of a suitable charger on hand, those things would be ideal for several applications I have to hand, not just launch controllers. The 2-AA-cell electric toothbrushes my wife and use (which are now running on aging NiMH rechargeables) come immediately to mind.
The fact that the Tenavolts use a special charger is the single, biggest drawback of using them, in my opinion. However, because they use the AA physical form, they have other consumer applications, such as an electric toothbrush like you mentioned.

I bought them to have on hand for the relatively few AA devices that were picky about having 1.5v per cell instead of 1.25v-1.40v per cell of a somewhat charged NiMH cell. For the record, most devices I have that work better with Tenavolts will still work with my Eneloops, but with less performance.

Perhaps not an update but maybe a new solid state controller and price it between the Electron Beam and the PSII. The EB is serviceable but certainly seems a bit too low tech for our space age hobby.
The Electron Beam controller is the worst thing Estes makes . If it needs more batteries then do it, but you shouldn't have to buy a Pro just to have something reliable.

Added: in that web page on the cells you linked me to there is a discussion about "not for use for camera flashes". Do they have a protection circuit in them that does current limiting? But even so, you don't have issues firing igniters using them?
I don't know the details as to the exact circuitry inside the Tenavolts, but I imagine there's some sort of protection circuit to prevent explosions/leaks/ruptures/fires/etc. in the case of excessive current draws or a short circuit. After all, these are lithium batteries we're dealing with.

That being said, no, I have no problem using the Tenavolts in my red Estes Electron Beam Launch Controller with Estes starters; works like a charm.

I don't know the details as to the exact circuitry inside the Tenavolts, but I imagine there's some sort of protection circuit to prevent explosions/leaks/ruptures/fires/etc. in the case of excessive current draws or a short circuit. After all, these are lithium batteries we're dealing with.
The Amazon.com product page at https://a.co/2t6fA9A talks about the integrated safety circuitry. These batteries look very interesting and I think I’ll get a set.

It’s (mostly) done!! So remember how I was printing the controller? Well, I ended up needing to replace my nozzle and while doing that my screwdriver went threw my fan. So then I had to replace the fan which meant finally doing some soldering work, it was a big long project ANYWAYS, I finally got the 3D printer back up and running and got the main body printed out. Some soldering work later (and some hot glue) and it was ready to test. Everything worked first try! I hooked up my multi meter and looks like I’m getting 9v at 3 amps so some pretty good power!

8854F718-44A8-47D0-A25B-A8BCBD96D114.jpeg

C52D1B9F-317B-43D3-BF49-7DECE73E313E.jpeg

I still need some small screws to get the back secured on and I might try and cut a vinyl label for the top but overall, it’s ready to fly! Now if only there wasn’t snow on the ground…..

It’s (mostly) done!! So remember how I was printing the controller? Well, I ended up needing to replace my nozzle and while doing that my screwdriver went threw my fan. So then I had to replace the fan which meant finally doing some soldering work, it was a big long project ANYWAYS, I finally got the 3D printer back up and running and got the main body printed out. Some soldering work later (and some hot glue) and it was ready to test. Everything worked first try! I hooked up my multi meter and looks like I’m getting 9v at 3 amps so some pretty good power!

View attachment 560427

View attachment 560428

I still need some small screws to get the back secured on and I might try and cut a vinyl label for the top but overall, it’s ready to fly! Now if only there wasn’t snow on the ground…..
Great work!

I see nothing, absolutely nothing to get me excited about what they are offering.
I thought they were going to offer the Mercury-Atlas, but I guess not.
We are losing a lot more, and better-looking rockets than we are gaining.

IT SUCKS!
27 rockets being discontinued says that they don't sell well, and that they are probably streamlining the product portfolio.
IMHO, they had too much crap in the catalog for a long time. Too many same or similar rockets with different names and paint schemes, but effectively the same.

Other comments about most of what Estes sells is for beginners anyway is true. They need to make room for Midpower stuff, which is what they seem to be effectively doing.

Surprised to see the regular Goblin being discontinued, but the clearance sale a while back sort of predicted that. I'm happy to see they finally are making a PSII Goblin and I'm in the DRM camp. (Pssst. I like 'em both. Don't tell Dancer).
😜

Also, I read some posts here whining about why this or that was discontinued. Were those folks ever going to buy some of those? I mean, some were really not that great...

Last edited:
Back