Any guesses on new rockets in the 2023 catalog?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolRockets

Reaction score
Another year, another batch of rockets. Your guess is as good as mine on which rockets are coming out in the 2023 catalog. My guesses are a return from the astron scout for the 65th anniversary along with an alpha IV, more spacex rockets (e.g. starship, falcon heavy), a blue origin new glenn, and 2 new PSII rockets. Also, a return of the Mars lander with a new paint job going straight to the destination: Mars line and a return of the swing wing transport or something that glides.

So Long should be in the catalog if Estes thinks they'll have 29mm motors back in stock in quantity. If it doesn't appear, I'd see that as potentially ominous for the immediate future of those motors.

If the high-thrust E motor ever comes out, I could see PSII being revitalized. The thrust might even require new rockets. Hard to know what to make of PSII though with the existing spare parts drying up.

If the C5-0 debuts, perhaps it would bring a few new 18mm-powered multistagers with it.

So Long should be in the catalog if Estes thinks they'll have 29mm motors back in stock in quantity. If it doesn't appear, I'd see that as potentially ominous for the immediate future of those motors.

If the high-thrust E motor ever comes out, I could see PSII being revitalized. The thrust might even require new rockets. Hard to know what to make of PSII though with the existing spare parts drying up.

If the C5-0 debuts, perhaps it would bring a few new 18mm-powered multistagers with it.
I think the current concept PSII rockets are going to be with us for awhile. Outside of the (probably) new nose cone for the minimum diameter BT-52H So Long most of the recent PSII kits have used common nose cones, parts and body tubes - the Star Orbiter - BT-60, Super Big Bertha - BT-80, BDRM and Doorknob - T-300, all used balsa fins and paper centering rings. The only “unique” part was the new 3” upscale of the PNC-60AH nose cone for the BDRM.

Plus the So Long has been announced in hobby trade magazines, I’d say it’s coming - even if 29mm motor production isn’t back up to speed the SL will work just fine on adapted 24mm motors in the interim.

John Boren has all but come out and confirmed that the Mercury Atlas (good one kuririn!) is coming and I won’t be surprised to see another scale model of a current launch service rocket - no idea which but it would fit with their recent history. Way back in 2019 at NARAM 61 the folks from Estes were talking about a line of scale RTFs of manned spaceflight rockets - they’ve released four so far (though the SLS hasn’t carried any humans yet). So maybe an RTF Soyuz?

I think we’ll get more lower skill level Destination Mars and Space Corps kits - probably another Destination Mars kit since the Longship is a fairly sophisticated “Advanced” build, an “Intermediate” level kit similar to the Corvette Class would fit.

As far as bring backs and upscales go the sky is the limit. In the past I’d have said we wouldn’t get anything that needed a new mold for a nose cone but with all the new cones they’ve done over the last few years who knows? Could be anything. There’s currently no V-2 or larger HoJo in production - Estes hasn’t gone long without at least one of those in the catalog, so maybe a return of one or both as possibly part of the also hinted at return of the Maxi Brute line? My personal wish is not nearly so grandiose - I’d love to see the Mini Brute line revived, both bring backs and new designs. Flying small 13mm powered rockets can be a lot of fun on small fields.

With the more reliable StarTech starters maybe we’ll see a few cluster motored kits? It’s been a long time since there’s been one of those from Estes.

We should know in a few weeks, the new catalog is supposedly coming by the end of January.

Last edited:
There is a HoJo in production, it in the scale section.
Yes, I should’ve said “larger sized”. I bought a couple of the cheap #2446 Mini HoJos off the Walmart site, only built one so far, the other may end up as an EAC Firecat clone. It flies well but the spent motor stuck in the mount and it needed a bit of rehab after I got home from the launch. Turned out well!

There is a larger size, it’s red, white and black... and in the scale section. Do you mean like the older maxi-brute size big or just d engine powered?

There is a larger size, it’s red, white and black... and in the scale section. Do you mean like the older maxi-brute size big or just d engine powered?

I think you are referring to the #7240, and it was discontinued last year. Prompted quite the discussion here on the forum...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/did-estes-discontinue-the-honest-john-7240.170380/

As David posted, 2021 was the last year for production of the larger scale #7240 Honest John.

The #1952 V-2 has been gone since 2004 - so it’s been a 19 year hiatus for the V-2, same as the gap between the #1267 Maxi version and the #1904 version (the #1904 V-2 is virtually the same as the #1926 version).

Not that production of V-2s by Estes follows some timetable like cicadas or anything, I just wouldn’t be surprised to see some version of the V-2 return if not this year then in the next several years.

Would love to see the Mars Lander brought back for the Destination Mars line. But Semroc kind "satisfied the demand" for that kit with their fairly accurate clone. Still, I'd buy another one...or two...three 😏

There's a phenomenon where rockets sell well initially, then languish, then when they go on silly-cheap clearance, demand spikes at that price and a bunch of people are disappointed when they find out two months later that they missed out. And after that happens a few times, FOMO leads to rocket kit hoarding.

A 2x upscale Mars lander would actually be a good fit in the PSII line

If they can get their 29 mm motor production going again I would like to see a clustered PS II bird.
I'd love to see it, but I doubt we will.

The 125g propellant limit for low-power under NFPA 1122 and Class 1 for FAA means anything more than a pair of F15s or a trio of E16s is a high-power/Class 2 rocket. If Estes sold a three-motor 29mm, they'd end up with a lot of buyers flying in violation of fire codes and without required FAA waivers when they loaded up with F motors instead of E.

Regarding a two-motor cluster, getting a design to be safe with the same delay both when both motors light and also when one does not is no easy task, and it would have to be done for both E16 and F15 to give some flexibility in performance and motor supply..

I'd love to see it, but I doubt we will.

The 125g propellant limit for low-power under NFPA 1122 and Class 1 for FAA means anything more than a pair of F15s or a trio of E16s is a high-power/Class 2 rocket. If Estes sold a three-motor 29mm, they'd end up with a lot of buyers flying in violation of fire codes and without required FAA waivers when they loaded up with F motors instead of E.

Regarding a two-motor cluster, getting a design to be safe with the same delay both when both motors light and also when one does not is no easy task, and it would have to be done for both E16 and F15 to give some flexibility in performance and motor supply..

So what you're saying is, selling stuff in bags on hooks at Hobby Lobby and calling it "Pro Series" may slightly mischaracterize the reality of what actually has to be in the bag.

My two cents of rumors....mostly in reply to post #5 by Scott_650:
I predict that the Destination Mars section will need new kits, or will disappear completely, as the rumor is that only the Mars Longship remains. As for RTFs of manned spaceflight rockets, I doubt it will be the Soyuz (Russian stuff sells poorly), but the rumor of at least one new addition this year is on the pad. The rumor is also that 11 more kits will be discontinued with the release of the 2023 catalog.

So what you're saying is, selling stuff in bags on hooks at Hobby Lobby and calling it "Pro Series" may slightly mischaracterize the reality of what actually has to be in the bag.
I'm all in favor of them letting it rip. "Pro Series III - Fly at Your Own Risk" with a 7 x 29mm 4" Mega Daddy sounds like a grand idea to me. I just don't expect them to do anything like that.

So if I fly a Loc Ultimate 7 X 29 mm I'm breaking regulations?

I predict that the Destination Mars section will need new kits, or will disappear completely, as the rumor is that only the Mars Longship remains. As for RTFs of manned spaceflight rockets, I doubt it will be the Soyuz (Russian stuff sells poorly), but the rumor of at least one new addition this year is on the pad. The rumor is also that 11 more kits will be discontinued with the release of the 2023 catalog.
Personally, I don’t think the destination Mars stuff will disappear any time soon, my guess is that they will resurrect the old Mars lander and give it a new paint job or something to match the line, it would be a terrible time to launch Russian stuff, but I would buy it because the last Russian stuff Estes made was in 1977.

So if I fly a Loc Ultimate 7 X 29 mm I'm breaking regulations?
Depends on the motors. If you fly it on composite Ds or some small Es, maybe not. If you fly it on seven black powder Estes D, E, or F motors without an FAA waiver and without very careful inspection of an FAA sectional chart to insure you're not flying into controlled airspace, yes. If flying without conforming to NFPA 1127's high power rules in a jurisdiction that has adopted NFPA, yes.

Unfortunately black powder has poor specific impulse, so you don't get a lot of Ns per g.

If they can get their 29 mm motor production going again I would like to see a clustered PS II bird.
Here is a scratch-build of mine flying on three F15-6 engines. I love clusters!

Attachments

• 36AB2A63-D63C-460F-B5B9-54B91F6A1B82.jpeg
    36AB2A63-D63C-460F-B5B9-54B91F6A1B82.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
With nearly 100 rockets (including the B.O.S.S.) in the catalog and at least 5-6 new rockets coming losing 11or so will probably just winnow out some of the redundant 3/4FNC and slow selling sci-fi and scale kits - as usual.

There’s always going to be some disgruntled rocketeers when their favorite kit gets discontinued. And then there’s folks who can’t wait to get their hands on the newest stuff.

With nearly 100 rockets (including the B.O.S.S.) in the catalog and at least 5-6 new rockets coming losing 11or so will probably just winnow out some of the redundant 3/4FNC and slow selling sci-fi and scale kits - as usual.

There’s always going to be some disgruntled rocketeers when their favorite kit gets discontinued. And then there’s folks who can’t wait to get their hands on the newest stuff.
The 11 kits that are being discontinued now, are after the 20 other kits that Estes has already discontinued during the year. So the 11 more don't include the Citation Patriot, Yankee, Goblin, etc. that have already disappeared. So I hope Estes comes out with a lot of new kits to replace the total of 30 kits that are being discontinued.

Back