Any freshwater fishermen here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockets

Reaction score
I have two hobbies that I enjoy, rockets & fishing.
During the summer I'm out at around at least 1 hour each day fishing. Last year I caught 58 fish, I fish creeks, rivers, & ponds.
Whether it's a 3 inch bluegill to a 4 foot long paddlefish, I really enjoy it.
Andrew's Fish.jpg My 16 inch largemouth bass from a SMALL pond..
8-22-2016 Andrew's fishing trip 009.jpg My 9 inch crappie
Andrew 6.jpg 23 1/2 inch, 4.5 pound saugeye from a river
IMG_1975.jpg 21 inch Hybrid striped bass, 5 pounds. That one put up one heck of a fight.
IMG_1979.jpg 48 inch long, 18 pound paddlefish. Nice long 15 minutes to pull it in.
Yeah, alongside of rocketry, fishing is my other "hobby". This year I already have 34 fish! :p
So if you guys do it, would you care to share some of your catches?
Thanks,

I use a Abu Garcia® Silver Max Baitcasting reel. It took me a while to go from a spincast to a baitcast. Now some of my "fishing buddies" call me an expert with that reel.
Thanks,

I used to fish freshwater quite a bit years ago. I got a surf rod for Christmas a few years back and one I got the salt in my blood, I never went back to freshwater, well I say never. I recently got back into it just to get my daughter out and experience something different. She actually reeled it in a few times and all she accomplished was getting the cricket caught on some grass and losing it. We didn't catch anything but it was more for letting her splash around than actually fishing. I'll get her to a pond or creek one day where I will be pretty sure she can at least catch a bream to see what she does.

She loses interest in anything pretty quickly and this is her fishing the rest of the day: LOL
Imoen fishing.jpg

A red I caught a few years back. Haven't tasted the salt since the baby came. Man I have got to get back down there.

27lbs, 42 inches Maybe a 10 minute fight. I use heavy tackle just for this sort of thing.
Minnow.jpg

I mostly troll for trout and Kokanee, but will also fish farm ponds for bass once in a while.

Started fly-fishing about 30 years ago. At first, for the pan-fish in the local ponds, but soon set my sights on trout in the Rocky Mountain streams. I still remember the first time I pulled a rainbow out of the Crystal River in Colorado. My legs were shaking so bad, I could barely stand. Now, every few years, I go out west to the Rockies, and try my luck. Sometimes I get lucky. Sometimes not. But it is great either way.

My family is headed to the Tucannon Lakes near Dayton WA this next weekend to take the kids on their first fishing trip. We chose those lakes because they are heavily stocked and with even close to the right bait fish are caught quickly, so the little ones don't loose much interest.

Always loved fishing for rainbow trout in the Sierra. Cherry Lake, Lake Eleanor, Kibbe Lake... Nothing like a good hike in, and hard to beat trout for breakfast when it was swimming free in the lake 20 minutes earlier.

Then someone invites you to go salmon fishing in the ocean, and you spend 45 minutes locked in battle with a 38 pound Chinook on a 10 pound spinning rig. Now, that's fun.

I'm actually more of a fly-fishing guy. I love to fly-fish in the ponds around me. I'll tell you what, fighting a bass on a spinning reel doesn't even compare to fighting a bass on a fly reel. :D

In Ohio, freshwater is all we have.

I don't fish much, but try to get out a couple times every year. My son loves it and so does my future son-in-law so this summer's activity my be more than most. When our boys were still in Boy Scouts they took a course for the fly fishing merit badge and liked it well enough that we added an inexpensive fly rod to our collection. I watched all the lessons and I'm still looking forward to trying it out and learning for myself. There are a few local lakes where the plant growth is heavy enough to attract a lot of fish for the shade, but it's too thick to pull a lure through. I'm thinking that landing a fly in there would be just the ticket.

Fishing and rockets have something in common: fins. Personally, I prefer my catfish deep fried and on a plate.

IMG_0272.jpg

I'm actually more of a fly-fishing guy. I love to fly-fish in the ponds around me. I'll tell you what, fighting a bass on a spinning reel doesn't even compare to fighting a bass on a fly reel. :D

True words. Now take that to the salt for a whole new level of awesome. Nothing short of snagging a passing truck compares to the feel of Jack spooling your 10wt.

fly fisher here too! (now my tag line makes sense!) Even tie my own

Been fishing (spinning & bait): bass, walleye, pike, perch sunfish since I was about 5! (going back to the early 70's with that one!) And fly for eh past 10.. Trout & bass on the fly

(Some I tied last year.. haven't really tied any this year..)

flies_1590.JPG

flies_1595.JPG

True words. Now take that to the salt for a whole new level of awesome. Nothing short of snagging a passing truck compares to the feel of Jack spooling your 10wt.

Saw that on the TV once. Guys fly-fishing for 100 pound sailfish on 10 weight rods. I like big fish on light gear, but that was... wow!

You want fun... Try jigging a spoon on a 35lb stand-up rig for 35-40lb albacore. Like you said... It's like hooking a passing truck.

I used to do some ultralight spinning fishing. The little lures are just so cute!

Yes, yes I am. Walk out the door and walk about 3 minutes to this---20170613_075325-PANO.jpg-20170913_124407-PANO.jpg--water is a little warm right now but the bass are still busting live big minnows on the bottom and top water chuggers at first light! October is game on for the bruisers! Got some BIG Bream in here as well. Some cats-small-- and some monster Carp if your into that kind of thing.--

Nice to see a fishing thread, if i could i would split my time between rockets and fishing but I don't get out to do either as much as i would like these days. I enjoy fly and spinner fishing in some of our high country lakes here in utah but will fish anywhere I can, I don't suppose the local rocket club would let me install a fishing pond at the launch site?

I would have to say fishing is my second hobby also. I used to do a lot more fishing than I do now though it was salt water. I used to be a licensed fishing guide in fla hence the name captbk. Living right on the Gulf of Mexico I spent about 300 days on the water. Now I live on one of the biggest lakes in Oklahoma. Freshwater fishing is so much different than salt water but I love them both. Now days I fish crappie and white bass in the spring and catfish in summer.
catching bait.jpg3.jpgSnapshot 1 (5-13-2017 3-33 PM) Billy shark!.png

I've been fishing twice this year, on the two California free fishing days. The first time was at the South Fork American River near Coloma. The second time was at Long Canyon Forebay, a small lake near Pollock Pines. Didn't catch anything either time, but we had a lot of fun. Both were beautiful areas.

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6134.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6146.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG

IMG_6254.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

Back