Any experience with these charge canisters?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Ejection-Systems/Ejection-Canisters/E-Match-Mate-Bulkhead-Adapter

Saw these things on the Apogee site. Have any of you guys tried them yet? Looks like a pretty neat set up....
I saw these, too. I like the small size and the design utilizes the red cap of the ematch!

However, I am skeptical that the cap actually inflates like a balloon. If it did, it would rupture and not simply blow off and require a tether. The video is not convincing that this system is any better than others for "spherical" pressurization and protecting the parachute.

Apogee is good at introducing new, kinda quirky rocket products. More evidence is needed on this one to justify the cost.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Ejection-Systems/Ejection-Canisters/E-Match-Mate-Bulkhead-Adapter

Saw these things on the Apogee site. Have any of you guys tried them yet? Looks like a pretty neat set up....
That appears to be well thought out. From what I'm seeing, it's a bulkhead that fits a cut off centrifuge container? Looks like the benefit would be not having burning gaseous stuff aimed directly at you recovery gear. Can't say for certain that it would be any better that just a 10 cent centrifuge tube with cap, but appears as though it'd be more consistent, although possibly more difficult to set up?

Point being; I can pre-make a dozen or so vials and throw 'em in my box, that only need 2 wires connected in the field in
order to fly.

The small footprint is primarily what interested me. I'm building a 3" av bay and things get pretty cramped with all the bolts, eyes, terminal blocks and charge wells. Especially if you want primary and secondary charges!

As long as you have access, i.e. don't need to reach inside a 3" tube to assemble.That's why I'm a fan of the pre-made vials, all you might need to do in the field is connect the match wires. No fumbling around outdoors in the breeze with loose powder/dog barf/matches...And, yes, absolutely a fan of redundancy..

Needs LOTS! of work.. IMO it looks half done. Their methods are to just tie a piece of Kevlar around the charge cap? Then to secure the well to your bulk head is to just jam a couple of wood screws in on an angle?? If you need something really small try a 9mm or .45 casing.

Last edited:
Needs LOTS! of work.. IMO it looks half done. Their methods are to just tie a piece Kevlar around the charge cap? Then to secure the well to your bulk head is to just jam a couple of wood screws in on an angle?? If you need something really small try a 9mm or .45 casing.
Guess I didn't take the time to look at it that closely. Just assumed they'd be a through mount base w/press fit vial. Now that you mention it, that is sorta ridiculous..

Back