Any dimensions for 2K12 Kub?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Came across this earlier today... think it would make a good winter project (not that I need another). Looking for any dimensional information. Otherwise I will have to start scaling from photos...
Anybody model make one of these before?
Screenshot_20220202-081652_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220202-082548_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220202-083817_Chrome.jpg

Nuts... I keep thinking that you were asking about the Su-27KUB (IMHO, one of the most SEXY aircraft in the world). The KUB combines several things that I like (side by side seating (like the F-111E Aardvarks I used to work) the front end of a B-1 Bone, and the lines of the SU-27 (which reminds me of the F-15 Eagle). You put swing wings on it, and you could swap the F-15 for a F-14 Tomcat and which would tie into the Aardvark and B-1 even more.

I don't trust the SIM data in the least right now, too many types and sizes of fins etc. But from a dimensional layout, Bill of Material perspective. I threw this together quick after scaling what I could from known dimensions, and then filling in the blanks taking calipers to print photos. If I use a Scale of .238 the main body tube is 3.1" OD LOC tube, and the RamJet air intakes are 1" OD tube 24mm MM Tube. The transitions to from the RamJet intakes to main body, are not there... can't think of a way to show them. (They will be 24mm tube, split and tapered to blend into the body.)

Looks like it will work. Visually anyhow... Will need to do more work to figure out CP... Then amount of nose weight to make it stable... THOUGHTS ?.?.?.:questions:
2K12_KUB_SIM-1.JPG
2K12_KUB_1.png
2K12_KUB_2.png

Attachments

• 2K12_KUB_238-Scale.ork
    510.9 KB · Views: 6
I don't trust the SIM data in the least right now, too many types and sizes of fins etc.

Looks like it will work. Visually anyhow... Will need to do more work to figure out CP... Then amount of nose weight to make it stable... THOUGHTS ?.?.?.

Go "OLD SCHOOL" and Swing-Test it !

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/stability-swing-test.50423

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/alpha11.html

https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter53.pdf

Dave F.

Yep... Planed on a Swing Test with as long a string and I can get going. Both Open Rocket, and RockSim will have issues with this one... So I was going to do the 2D shadow approximation (2 times at 90 degrees to each other) for a preliminary estimate...of CP. Then watch the CG against that estimate while working on build and in Open Rocket as it evolves. Then swing test before finalizing on nose weight.... Then add a removable chunk to have some over-stability for first flights.

Time to make the neighbors (and my wife) think I've lost it....:headspinning:

Thanks for sharing the files you collected. Did you ever do accurate measurements or develop plans for the model?

I have also recently been inspired by this model so was thinking of making w/ 3D printed parts + plywood fins + either BT60 + BT5 boosters or BT80 + BT20 boosters. Seems the ratio of either of these configurations would work ok - measuring from pictures, booster to main body airframe diameter ratio is .306 ratio and BT5 to BT60 is .332 and BT20 to BT80 is .285.

I made a P270 Moskit so would use a similar approach (although less main airframe size transitions on this one).

1649166280307.png

Latest posts

Back