Any Comanche-3 Tip's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William

Reaction score
Just Got the comanche-3 and before I start build is there any good tips or upgrades to make it better and has any body flown the comanche-3 and how dose it fly. thanks for any sujestions.

Sand the nosecone, use a flat ruler or plane to help align all three sets of fins, don't go D12-C6-C6 on the first flight, go C11-B6-A8 on the first flight, paint in high-visibility colors, and most of all, HAVE FUN!!!

Jason

THANKS. Jetra2 Yes most of all I plan to have fun, I am going to use all your tips. exspiecally first flite engins.have you built the comanche3 ?

I built it a while back with my friend, but he lost interest when my dog got it. :(

I'll get one for myself sooner or later. :D

Jason

I'd also recommend replacing the 9" shock cord that comes with the kit. I'm a kevlar guy myself, but whatever floats your boat, I'd recommend at least 3 feet of shock cord!

I do like the kevlor, how or what way would you mount it ??.

Wrap it around the motor tube , knot it , then put on the top Centering-ring , if it wont fit , get a 'rat tail' file and make a small grove in the side of te CR. Smear the knot with white/yellow glue.

Karl

Good fillets are key to this rocket. All too often, I see staging events that cause fins to rip right off of the boosters. Also, drill two 1/16" holes in the top of the first stage (the 24mm engine one) above the engine, below the top of the stage. This will help prevent the ejection from the booster just popping off the stage without igniting the second stage. Beyond that, just make sure you have at least three sets of eyes watching it when you launch, and make sure everyone knows their assignments - who's watching what, in other words.

This is a great kit! I love my Commanche - it looks really impresive on the pad with all those fins, and it just screams on the second and third stages!

If you're chicken on the first launch, you can also launch it two-stage to make sure everything works and you know the flight characteristics.

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy

If you're chicken on the first launch, you can also launch it two-stage to make sure everything works and you know the flight characteristics.

I would prefer to be called "commendably cautious" rather than "chicken"... :D

From experience and observation, I've found a common staging problem is ejecting the lower stage motor from its motor tube upon ignition of the following stage's motor. The lower stage stays attached while the upper stage motor burns. The best you can hope from this scenario is a burnt out motor mount tube. With the Comanchee, you have two opportunities for this to happen.

To prevent this from happening I try to add some positive lower stage motor retention on lower stages.

In the Comanchee, I add an Estes-style motor hook to the first stage. In the second stage I cutoff the 18mm motor at the forward centerring ring. This lets me put build-up of 1/4 inch masking tape near the front end of the second stage motor. The tape build-up prevents it from ejecting without taking the second stage airframe with it.

Strong fillets on the lower stages is a must. Consider using epoxy. Weight shouldn't be a consideration.

I like the C11->B6->A8 motor configuration because I want to get it back to fly again.

...Fred

definately dont fly it D12-C6-C6 unless its WINDLESS and very clear. i've lost two of them and one time there was NO wind. also, launch it at 90 degrees only. as with any staged rocket. once the booster cuts out, if its leaning, it could weather cock and two stages will take this rocket a WAYS down range.

Originally posted by kelltym88
Here's the paint scheme I used for mine.

Hmmm, white (mostly) against a hazy sky.

Either you have great eyes, or are incredibly optimistic!:D

Didja get it back?

Originally posted by vjp
Hmmm, white (mostly) against a hazy sky.

Either you have great eyes, or are incredibly optimistic!:D

Didja get it back?

Every time!!..... well except the last time, I lost the 2nd stage booster. In fact that's the only time I've ever lost anything while launching my C3.

Back