Any Cluster Composite Engine Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrielin

Reaction score
I've got a couple of Estes Nike Smoke rockets that fly on composite motors---my first experience with composites. I'd really like to step up to a two engine composite cluster now. Any recommendations?

I might need just a two engine cluster on Fs or Gs if I have much hope of getting it back from where I fly.

Yeah, I'm up to F Estes Black Powder engines. Tried them on the Ascender (I think the name) And both times the parachute failed to open (two separate builds, of course). Not sure what I did wrong with the build or the launch prep, but both failed the same way. I fly near where horses are and seeing a rocket incoming in like that to auger in really scares me I'm going to hurt some innocent bystander---a four legged one.

Maybe you are to the point where you can start to look at deployment altimeters.
For low altitude flights your BP motor charge will be backup. The altimeter will deploy at Apogee.

For higher flights you can dual deploy making better use of a small field.

Eggtimer just came out with with a simple unit. You do have to solder it but it is almost all through hole components. $15, can't beat it.

https://eggtimerrocketry.com/apogee_faqs/

https://locprecision.com/product/4-29ss/
4 x 29mm mmt. Launch on two or four motors, Composite or BP, combinations.
429SS-Cut.jpg

At $142.00 can you give me any advice on how to sneak this purchase past my wife???

LOC 3" Magnum is a 3x 29mm

https://locprecision.com/product/magnum-3/
Since is 3 motors, not an easy option to air-start any of them. That means no electronics needed. Its also light enough to use 3x E16 Estes and strong enough to withstand 3x G80 Aerotech. Aerotech F42 would be a good mix between speed, easy to start and still not HPR. And its in stock for $82

Rocketarium has a trident cluster in 13, 18, 24, and 29mm.

I have the 29mm. It flew great on a set of F-67's. If 29 is a little large, look at the 18/24. I believe you can get composite motors for either.

LOC has the Viper III and Viper IV, both with 24mm clusters. The IV can fly on two or four motors, but I just checked their site and it is now OOP. Maybe a vendor still has one.

I'm building one.....

Attachments

• 16095186642054615863749015912661.jpg
    16095186642054615863749015912661.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 20
AP clusters are certainly doable, but you have to be aware of the issues involved. AP motors are more difficult to light than BP. And even two motors of the same type by the same manufacturer can light at different rates. CTI motors help alleviate this by putting a BP pellet in the head of the motor and using an e-match for ignition.

As others have said, check the existing threads on clusters for more info.

I just built one and I love it. The FlameThrower made by Dyna Star...... From Apogee Components. Haven't flown it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_5931.JPG
    IMG_5931.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 13
On the FlameThrower...... 1900+ft. on 2 E30-7T. 2500ft. on 2 F32-8T. Mine weighs 10.2oz. Its not a costly flight. 23 bucks for 2 E30-7T.

AP clusters are certainly doable, but you have to be aware of the issues involved. AP motors are more difficult to light than BP. And even two motors of the same type by the same manufacturer can light at different rates. CTI motors help alleviate this by putting a BP pellet in the head of the motor and using an e-match for ignition.

As others have said, check the existing threads on clusters for more info.
Apogee says to to wire the 2 motors together so that you clip on to just 2 wires, like a single use motor. I would guess that this technique would be as close to a successful flight as compared to other rigs.

Crossfire, my first ever cluster flight was at LDRS in Orangeburg, in the mid-to-late 90s, I'm not sure. I used 3 CTI J motors in a LOC Bruiser. All 3 lit for a perfect flight and recovery. I'd then say that CTI motors will be just fine for you to use.

I’ve flown mixed clusters of Estes BP with CTI AP, with stock CTI starters, and Q2G2 or MJG BP starters. All motors have lit every time, with 3, 4, and 7 motor clusters.

Rocketflite.com has Clusterfire dip your own low current igniters and pyrogen that burns at 5400 deg F. Will light a brick.
I've never had a failure using their product

Back