Any Chess or Backgammon Players on the Forum?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Currently I've been playing these games with my computer as a good mental amusement during my retirement from Boeing and while enduring Covid lockdown. Many years ago I played both games more seriously, sometimes competing in tournaments. Chess is a game that goes back several hundred years, and backgammon was invented in the fertile crescent region thousands of years ago. If anyone wishes to play a correspondence game of chess, we could probably do so by PM.

DSC00843.jpg

I like board games, but just could never get into chess. It seems like a game you have to really study to get good at it and that doesn't appeal to me.

You can play games online using a game simulator called Vassal. It allows you to play a wide variety of games online with people. I play Pandemic with a group every week. You need some sort of voice communications as Vassal only shows the game boards and pieces. Also, Vassal doesn't know the game rules, it just gives you a visual representation of the game.

I won chess tournaments as a kid but I was never hooked enough to practice seriously. The first time I ever went online was to play a game of chess (or was it checkers? 🤔) via modem, but I wouldn't have much interest to play these days.

I won chess tournaments as a kid but I was never hooked enough to practice seriously. The first time I ever went online was to play a game of chess (or was it checkers? 🤔) via modem, but I wouldn't have much interest to play these days.
I went nuts for chess in high school and college - even had two wins against a future world champion candidate, Yasser Seirawan, a Seattle native. Ultimately, chess is too serious. Backgammon can be played with a drink in one hand, and is much more sociable.

But yeah, these days I probably play Age of Empires II more than chess. I also play Gran Turismo 6 with a steering wheel and pedal setup on Playstation. Two can play!

I am not good but enjoy playing both (and I am trying to help my 10yo get better at chess).

As a side note -- I like to describe my approach to business strategy as more of a game of backgammon and less of a chess match.

I see chess as having an overarching strategy in which all the pieces work together to achieve a singular specific outcome.

I see business strategy as quite a bit more messy and serendipitous -- more a situation in which you understand your end goals / outcomes and nudge whatever pieces you can control / influence towards these final outcomes / goals taking into account the constantly changing business context (open spaces and opponents pieces) as well as random things outside of your control (rolls of the dice).

Sadly, not enough people understand backgammon to get my analogy.

Last edited:
I learned to play chess, but never really enjoyed it. Its rules always annoyed me in regards to how the pieces move. More specifically, the rules seem to exist only to make the game more complicated and harder to play, not make the game more interesting, balanced, or playable.

Always wanted to learn how to play Backgammon, though. It has a nice balance of luck and skill.

Last edited:
make a Chess.com account, you can play people worldwide and they'll analyze your games to give you tips. It's also free!

My "other hobby" is board games and I have a decent sized collection of them, including a couple of chess sets. I've never played backgammon.

I learned to play chess, but never really enjoyed it. Its rules always annoyed me in regards to how the pieces move. More specifically, the rules seem to exist only to make the game more complicated and harder to play, not make the game more interesting, balanced, or playable.

I put forth that the game would be a lot less interesting if all the pieces had similar movement rules, you can't get more balanced than each player having an identical force, and that chess is perfectly playable by even a child. My dad taught me the rules for chess when I was five. Playing well though, is something entirely different and takes a lot of study and practice.

Always wanted to learn how to play Backgammon, though. It has a nice balance of luck and skill.

True that! There is no bad luck excuse for losing at chess, but yes indeed, luck, odds and statistics play a heavy role in backgammon. IMHO the best book on the subject is Backgammon, by Paul Magriel, in print for many years. You can get these used and in paperback, so affordable. Very highly recommended.

41TPuC6xMbL._SL500_.jpg

Another one I highly recommend to people who are into chess is shogi, a Japanese version of the game. The big thing that makes Shogi different is "drops." You can put your opponent's captured pieces back into play on your side. Shogi often does not have a much clearer board during the late game.

My "other hobby" is board games and I have a decent sized collection of them, including a couple of chess sets. I've never played backgammon.

I put forth that the game would be a lot less interesting if all the pieces had similar movement rules, you can't get more balanced than each player having an identical force, and that chess is perfectly playable by even a child. My dad taught me the rules for chess when I was five. Playing well though, is something entirely different and takes a lot of study and practice.
Ever tried Hive? It's amazing and fascinating.

Carcassonne, the City, is another great board game - quite elegant - in which more than two may play.

Dice Tower Reviews: Hive & Hive: Carbon

Game over - reason: completed walls. Scoring over - yellow wins.

I played Carcassonne a few times. A really good game but during a flu, I played it almost non-stop for week on my smartphone and haven't been able to look at it ever since. 😂

I played Carcassonne a few times. A really good game but during a flu, I played it almost non-stop for week on my smartphone and haven't been able to look at it ever since. 😂
One of the more difficult pieces to play profitably are the stewards. My friend Harvey and I have almost worn out the set over many years. Several times we have combined scores for over 300 points!

Playing with the beautiful wooden pieces and intricate cards should be much more fun than playing by phone.

The doubling cube? Yes, but we hardly ever use it. We also play Acey Ducey.
The simplest rule for using the doubling cube is to offer it when you have more than a 67% chance to win, and decline the offer when you have less than a 25% chance to win.

One of the more difficult pieces to play profitably are the stewards. My friend Harvey and I have almost worn out the set over many years. Several times we have combined scores for over 300 points!

Playing with the beautiful wooden pieces and intricate cards should be much more fun than playing by phone.

The simplest rule for using the doubling cube is to offer it when you have more than a 67% chance to win, and decline the offer when you have less than a 25% chance to win.
Yes, I first played with real pieces and enjoyed it. When I coincidentally got sick a short while later, I couldn't stop playing the app version for a week. Next time will definitely be with the real pieces again. Friends of mine have all sorts of expansion sets.

Yes, I first played with real pieces and enjoyed it. When I coincidentally got sick a short while later, I couldn't stop playing the app version for a week. Next time will definitely be with the real pieces again. Friends of mine have all sorts of expansion sets.
Carcassonne the City is the variation of the game which ends with a beautiful and historic medieval walled city constructed in front of you. It's a favorite, in part because it builds rather than destroys. A very ethical game, that!

Carcassonne the City is the variation of the game which ends with a beautiful and historic medieval walled city constructed in front of you. It's a favorite, in part because it builds rather than destroys.
Fun fact: the real Carcassonne city was used to film parts of "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves". It's a UNESCO heritage site.

Fun fact: the real Carcassonne city was used to film parts of "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves". It's a UNESCO heritage site.
I think the castellans of Carcassonne were very wise - any time they thought a conqueror was going destroy the city, they simply opened the gates. :D Accordingly, it still stands today. If I ever make it to England and Wales, I will definitely want to see some of Longshank's castles!

my board game group is meeting We visited Carcassonne years ago. Fun fact, the caps on the towers are not original. They were added to draw in tourists something like 200-300 years ago. At least that is what they told us. We got up early before the tour buses showed up to take pictures. I ran ahead and scouted good photo spots for my wife to shoot. I would explain my idea and let her take photos and I took off again. We got a lot of good shots without people in them that way.

If you are interested in board games a great resource is boardgamegeel.com I believe they have over 100,000 games on the site. Each game gets its own page and can have photos of the game, a forum for questions, a file section for the rulebook, player aides, videos, etc.

My board game group is meeting Friday. Popular games are:
Tsuro - a quick and easy tile laying game that plays up to 8. A game lasts about 15 minutes.
Pandemic - A cooperative game that requires teamwork to cure 4 diseases that are trying to kill everyone. Each game is different and the difficulty can be set from easy/moderate to we are all gonna die no matter what. About an hour (or less if the game kills you quickly).
Century Spice Road - a deck building game
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert - Two cooperative games that are easy, quick to learn and fun
Wingspan - A well designed and very pretty game where you try to populate your bird sanctuary.
Cascadia - A tile and player placement game
Guns and Cash - You are mobsters and after you pull off a heist you have to split up the loot. No one trusts anyone and you all have guns. Silly, but fun
Once Upon a Time - My group doesn't really "play" this as a game. Basically, it is a story telling game (or activity for my group) where as a group you have to tell a story and if you are the person currently telling the story you get to discard cards from your hand as you incorporate that card in your story. The first person to discard all their cards wins the game. However, use a word on someone else's card and they can steal the story from you. Really a lot of fun and the stories can get very silly.

And lots of others...

I think that I'll (en) pass(ent) on this one.

I taught my four children, and one grandson, how to play chess. It took them a long time, but they mostly beat me these days. But I don't mind as they still have to work at it. Of course these days its all "timed chess" with the clock, something I never even saw till after college. Chess was always a game to play while reading a good book. It kept me from getting bored waiting for the other person to move. A clock would have ruined the game for me. LOL!

"The Shah is Dead....................."

I know *how* to play chess. But I play so seldom that I can't really say that I really play chess.

I've never played backgamon. As a some-time history buff (I just invented that expression, instead of "part-time", "some-time", get it? Nevermind. Some of them are pretty dim.), I might read about backgamon history shortly and decide whether I'll try it or not. I'm that kind of person. Last time I even thought of backgamon was before the internet. Times have changed.

I've never played backgamon. As a some-time history buff (I just invented that expression, instead of "part-time", "some-time", get it? Nevermind. Some of them are pretty dim.), I might read about backgamon history shortly and decide whether I'll try it or not. I'm that kind of person. Last time I even thought of backgamon was before the internet. Times have changed.
Backgammon is a lot of fun. It starts with the pieces on the board in a pre-set pattern. A variation is Acey Ducey, where you start with all of the pieces off of the board, and enter them depending on your roll. The moves per roll are also different.

Played a little recreationally with high school friends.
Haven't seriously studied the game, don't know the names of the different openings, haven't studied the theory.
But lately I have been watching Anna Cramling's You Tube videos.
Both of her parents are Grand Masters.
Very entertaining.

Back