Any AstroCam Launchers Here?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
So, I have only had three flights with my new AstroCam, but I am hooked! What a fun little rocket. Have only launched with B's, hoping to get up enough courage to try a C. Video is ok, although I wish they had not used a rolling shutter on the camera. No doubt to save costs. And that blue LED indicator is truly awful. But I am having so much fun. My son thinks I am ceazty, but he's at that age where he thinks he knows better than anyone else. And did say he will launch with me.

Who else here is enjoying their AstroCam?

Here is a video of my first mission-

I have yet to try the Astrocam. I did have an Estes Snapshot back in the day that used Kodak 110 film. I got it developed this year and quickly discovered that I was probably using too short of a delay, all I got was the sky.

I’d love to try a modern Astrocam, it’s simply amazing how compact digital video cameras have gotten.

If flying on a C is a risk, you may want to consider looking around for a NAR section near you. They typically take care of all the work to secure a sizeable launch site where C flights and larger are easy to recover. Mine supports flights up to G power and coordinates with the local Tripoli Rocket Association prefecture for anything larger. They sometimes fly up to the largest we can do in California: Type M.

Here’s a map if you want to look around.

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-map-locator/

I am just starting out, after 50 years away from the hobby. I only intend on flying low power rockets, and have no desire to fly HP rockets.

I am just starting out, after 50 years away from the hobby. I only intend on flying low power rockets, and have no desire to fly HP rockets.
That’s entirely fine. I’m currently uncertified myself. I want to make as many mistakes as possible while they’re cheap 🙃

That’s entirely fine. I’m currently uncertified myself. I want to make as many mistakes as possible while they’re cheap 🙃
From what I have experienced so far, club members and HP launchers tend to look down on an Estes hobbyist.

It's not a matter of certification, or not. I don't need a certification to validate my passion for this hobby. I didnt have one 50 years ago, and don't need one today.

After a few tries with poor results I finally decided (along with Estes customer support) that the micro-SD card was bad. With a new one installed I finally got some decent video. Apart from that rolling shutter thing:
vlcsnap-2021-08-01-18h56m17s887.png

After a few tries with poor results I finally decided (along with Estes customer support) that the micro-SD card was bad. With a new one installed I finally got some decent video. Apart from that rolling shutter thing:
View attachment 498128
The rolling shutter thing drives me crazy, as does the barrel distortion and vignetting in the corners, I suppose you can't have it all for the price point.

Actually now that you’ve posted this, I’ll say that there is probably an entire thread waiting to be made about rocket photography and videography. I’ve seen composite maps made by kids flying the original single-frame 110 film Astrocam, it’s quite something actually.
From what I have experienced so far, club members and HP launchers tend to look down on an Estes hobbyist.
It's not a matter of certification, or not. I don't need a certification to validate my passion for this hobby. I didnt have one 50 years ago, and don't need one today.

I’d still encourage checking out a NAR Section or Tripoli prefecture. The attitudes you get depend on where you go and what kind of attitude you bring with you. The jury is out on which matters more. Admittedly, hobby rocketry does seem to be developing a “grumpy old guy with cash to burn” problem.

Even if you don’t learn anything immediately applicable to your own flying, you’ll get to see a lot of rockets and a lot of flights at a club launch. And if the hosting club is rude, you can always go elsewhere or just fly from the field you already have. It took me a long time to just let things roll off my back. It’s a skill to learn like any other, and it’s still a challenge.

I’ve gotten some considerable interest in my work even while flying 13mm Mini motors. Heck, there are even some modelers who have achieved staging with Quest MicroMaxx motors equivalent to 1/8th of an A. I also know of at least two flyers here on this forum who set up HPR-style dual deployment in a C-powered rocket. Sometimes something is cool because it was done with something small.

As far as securing a good launch site, this is perhaps the most common issue faced by the solo model rocketeer. You are not alone in this regard. Without a club or organization to back you up, a lot of times this means getting involved in local government and sweet-talking the neighbors. Getting NAR/Tripoli insurance coverage and making friends on the city council can be immensely helpful.

If you’ve got a site that just allows you to set up and fly without a bunch of wrangling and fuss, and it looks like you do, count yourself among the lucky ones. Can’t fly ‘em indoors!

Actually now that you’ve posted this, I’ll say that there is probably an entire thread waiting to be made about rocket photography and videography. I’ve seen composite maps made by kids flying the original single-frame 110 film Astrocam, it’s quite something actually.

I’d still encourage checking out a NAR Section or Tripoli prefecture. The attitudes you get depend on where you go and what kind of attitude you bring with you. The jury is out on which matters more. Admittedly, hobby rocketry does seem to be developing a “grumpy old guy with cash to burn” problem.

Even if you don’t learn anything immediately applicable to your own flying, you’ll get to see a lot of rockets and a lot of flights at a club launch. And if the hosting club is rude, you can always go elsewhere or just fly from the field you already have. It took me a long time to just let things roll off my back. It’s a skill to learn like any other, and it’s still a challenge.

I’ve gotten some considerable interest in my work even while flying 13mm Mini motors. Heck, there are even some modelers who have achieved staging with Quest MicroMaxx motors equivalent to 1/8th of an A. I also know of at least two flyers here on this forum who set up HPR-style dual deployment in a C-powered rocket. Sometimes something is cool because it was done with something small.

As far as securing a good launch site, this is perhaps the most common issue faced by the solo model rocketeer. You are not alone in this regard. Without a club or organization to back you up, a lot of times this means getting involved in local government and sweet-talking the neighbors. Getting NAR/Tripoli insurance coverage and making friends on the city council can be immensely helpful.

If you’ve got a site that just allows you to set up and fly without a bunch of wrangling and fuss, and it looks like you do, count yourself among the lucky ones. Can’t fly ‘em indoors!
As I have told others in other forums, little to no desire to join a club. I want to fly when I want to, and without swarms of people nearby, Thankfully, I have located several spots not only where it is permissible to launch, but encouraged. I never thought I needed the "backing" of a club in order to do what I like to do, I have no desire to move up to HP rockets, or to get any kind of certification.

Have had three fun flights so far, Look forward to many more.

mm
PS- seen the prices on the original Estes CineRoc lately? And they used 8mm film. Yes, you can still get it developed, for a small fortune. By comparison, the AstroCam represents a bargain.

mm
PS- seen the prices on the original Estes CineRoc lately? And they used 8mm film. Yes, you can still get it developed, for a small fortune. By comparison, the AstroCam represents a bargain.
Looks like they’re being snapped up faster than they can be scrounged up, even with a $200 asking price. That’s pretty steep, for what it is.

I don’t suppose there is any way to clone that kind of camera? People around here seem to be pretty handy, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see it done.

Looks like they’re being snapped up faster than they can be scrounged up, even with a $200 asking price. That’s pretty steep, for what it is.

I don’t suppose there is any way to clone that kind of camera? People around here seem to be pretty handy, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see it done.
Little to no point. Most would faint at the costs of film, developing, and conversion to digital. I am an analog guy, but in this case, stick to the AstroCam. If you have to have the CineRoc "look", there are hundreds of flights on YouTube.

I’m Level 0 and proud of it. Clubs are fun but not necessary.

Sometimes the cam videos might get corrupted. When this happens, I reprocess the video using VidCoder.

The cam works better in bright daylight. The rolling effects are mainly a problem at deployment. I use VLC to take screenshots. The RunCam2 is better but very heavy and needs a MPR.

If you can figure out a different camera to use you could use it in this nose cone kit,
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/collections/nose-cones/products/cineroc-nose-cone-kit

mm

The Cineroc was an amazing piece of model rocket technology for it's time.
For many decades it was the one model rocketry item long-time rocketeers wanted to get their hands on after it went out of production.
Many a NARAM auction featured one of these in the 80s and 90s and they usually sold for around $100.
I was given a beat-up Cineroc in 1985. Years later I would donate it to a friend who was able to use the parts to get his Cineroc working again.
My friend used it to take some great footage at a major Lucerne launch.

As amazing as the Cineroc was I find the current Astrocam much easier to use.

So, I have only had three flights with my new AstroCam, but I am hooked! What a fun little rocket. Have only launched with B's, hoping to get up enough courage to try a C. Video is ok, although I wish they had not used a rolling shutter on the camera. No doubt to save costs. And that blue LED indicator is truly awful. But I am having so much fun. My son thinks I am ceazty, but he's at that age where he thinks he knows better than anyone else. And did say he will launch with me.

Who else here is enjoying their AstroCam?

Here is a video of my first mission-

I expected to see footage from the camera on the rocket . . . why don’t you post that?

I bought an Astrocam this past fall, but haven't had a chance to launch it. After assembling it per the Estes instructions, I decided that I really didn't like the shock cord mount: it seemed like it might interfere with deployment. I removed the shock cord mount, installed a qualman baffle and attached kevlar cord to that. Then I epoxied the external plastic shock cord mount back into the hole in the bodytube and filed it flush on the inside.

I bought an Astrocam this past fall, but haven't had a chance to launch it. After assembling it per the Estes instructions, I decided that I really didn't like the shock cord mount: it seemed like it might interfere with deployment. I removed the shock cord mount, installed a qualman baffle and attached kevlar cord to that. Then I epoxied the external plastic shock cord mount back into the hole in the bodytube and filed it flush on the inside.
I have yet to get into the whole Kevlar shock cord thing, seems to me like a bit of overkill for this rocket, All I have been doing to the stock shock cord is treating it after each flight with Goo Gone, which is a great conditioner of rubber. Only 3 flights, but seems to work well.

The rolling shutter thing drives me crazy, as does the barrel distortion and vignetting in the corners, I suppose you can't have it all for the price point.
I have been looking into this camera for a few months, but for the reasons you mentioned, I did not buy it. Its still a significantly better camera than the low cost 808.

Maybe a few improvements could be made?

Rolling shutter - Using a high speed, high quality SD card made for HD video may help reduce the effect. If the limitation is the camera processor, then it can't be improved.

Edge vignette - It looks like this is being caused by the camera body, mount, or lens too far recessed into the camera body so it is picking that up on video.

Alternatively, for under $40 you can get a "K6 Lighter Cam" with excellent video quality. It will not fit the astrocam mount.

I have been looking into this camera for a few months, but for the reasons you mentioned, I did not buy it. Its still a significantly better camera than the low cost 808.

Maybe a few improvements could be made?

Rolling shutter - Using a high speed, high quality SD card made for HD video may help reduce the effect. If the limitation is the camera processor, then it can't be improved.

Edge vignette - It looks like this is being caused by the camera body, mount, or lens too far recessed into the camera body so it is picking that up on video.

Alternatively, for under $40 you can get a "K6 Lighter Cam" with excellent video quality. It will not fit the astrocam mount.
For the price? I will live with its flaws. For what it does, it does it great. Not looking to become Stanley Kubrick with it.

I have yet to get into the whole Kevlar shock cord thing, seems to me like a bit of overkill for this rocket
I decided to start using kevlar after spending several evenings with a round file removing old tri-fold engine mounts from rockets because the rubber shock cords had gotten crunchy over the decades. The mounts were still fine. Now I always build rockets so that rubber/elastic shock cords are easily replaced. I use kevlar attached to trifold, engine mount, or whatever, and then tie the rubber shock cord to the kevlar.

I decided to start using kevlar after spending several evenings with a round file removing old tri-fold engine mounts from rockets because the rubber shock cords had gotten crunchy over the decades. The mounts were still fine. Now I always build rockets so that rubber/elastic shock cords are easily replaced. I use kevlar attached to trifold, engine mount, or whatever, and then tie the rubber shock cord to the kevlar.
I'm a few weeks back into the hobby, Will live with stock for now. Surprised GooGone isn't more well known in the hobby.

Back