Any amateur astronomers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microspeed

Reaction score
If you've got a clear view of the horizon in the East-Southeast direction just before sunrise (~4:30-5:30 am) on the morning on June 8th, you should easily be able to see Jupiter, which will be (with the exception of the moon) by far the brightest object in the sky. But if you have a pair of binoculars or access to a telescope that will let you look at it a bit closer, you should also be able to see a pale blue/white dot very close by, just above and to the left of the planet (if you're using binoculars and viewing the image right side up), which is Uranus. It's going to be making the closest relative approach to Jupiter within hours of when it will be visible in the morning, and the two should be less than half a degree apart. Attached are a couple of images of the phenomenon (which is due to happen twice more over the next year--once in mid-September, and again at the beginning of January 2011. But this time will be the closest of the three, separated by ~26 arcminutes vs. ~31 for the next closest pass in January). The first image is zoomed in as far as possible to show the two, and give some idea of just how close they'll be based on the relative size of Jupiter's disk and the positions of the major moons. The second images shows the simulated view I generated in Stellarium based on the specs of my astronomy teacher's primary telescope, an 8" f/6 Dobsonian, using a 14mm Tele Vue Radian eyepiece.

If you've got good weather, the will to get up at 4 in the morning, and at least a good pair of binoculars, it should be a pretty cool sight to behold.

U-J conjunction.jpg

U-J conjunction ocular.png

Will set my alarm. A few months ago, from my location anyway, right at dusk, Venus and Mercury were visible in close proximity. Not often that we get to see some of the farther planets like this without the aid of large optics.

Update: Mother Nature decided not to allow my viewing this morning

Last edited:
Back