Any Advice for HPR Build Newbies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I decided to challenge myself and build my second 2 stage high powered rocket. It consists of mailing tubes and 3d printed parts. I ran a whole bunch of Simulations with OpenRocket and cross checked to make sure the parameters there match the actual built rocket.

The rocket stands 6ft 11 inches

I have never flown HPR, so this is definelty not going the first to launch. Want to get a kit to be safe, get my Cert, then fly a bit more, get experience, before flying this. I am just curious about things I should be aware of from more experienced HPR rocket bulders

Recovery will be via Disk Gap Band parachutes I'm sewing. I'm currently sewing a
huge one!
https://caninerockettech.wixsite.com/rocket/development?lightbox=dataItem-jv1tav4g
development

The staging is via a piston, and the 1ft upper payload bay can house up to 500 grams of payload. This will allow me to fly multiple experiment flight to help development of my other rockets.

Please don't be concerned, this is not going in the air anytime soon. Just built as a personal challenge and learning experience

Thanks!

Last edited:
How much does it weigh? I'd bet you could fly each half independently with little trouble, which should help build confidence for an H or I.

Bring it to your next club launch and go over it with some high power fliers in person.

I only do low power. I am not familiar with concept of piston staging.

Looking good so far. Any reason you are not just using drag separation for staging? Nice and simple, and your rocket design is prime for it.

Also, are you doing any tilt detection for the ignition of the second stage?

Back