Any 18mm long burn motors in the US?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Faulty

Reaction score
I was looking at getting some small long burns, but I want more than the 1.9 seconds that the c6 has. I saw that the D5 from quest was discontinued as well. Any motors that I am missing or is the c6 the longest burn 18mm in the US?

AFAIK there are no long burn C motors in 18mm from Estes, Quest, Aerotech or Apogee. The longest burn 18mm is the Aerotech D10 single use at 1.9 seconds.

Working on it :)
These are longer than standard but burn about 3.5 seconds.
Best I can do in 18x70 case is about 13 N-s, also with the 3.5 sec burn, about a D4. The long burn uses a lot of delay grain so I'm only able to get a 3 to 4 second delay without making the case longer.

Aerotech C3.4T has a 2.9s burn time, but it’s an R/C motor. So it’s plugged and you need the 18/20 RMS R/C case.

Aerotech C3.4T has a 2.9s burn time, but it’s an R/C motor. So it’s plugged and you need the 18/20 RMS R/C case.

Take a closer look at the NAR Certified Motor list and you'll find a single-use version of the C3.4 with a 6-second delay. It might be the rarest certified modroc motor ever. Here's a photo to prove it exists.
IMG_4786D.jpg
Yes, it rocks. Pain in the ass to ignite, though.

Hmmm,
James

Take a closer look at the NAR Certified Motor list and you'll find a single-use version of the C3.4 with a 6-second delay. It might be the rarest certified modroc motor ever. Here's a photo to prove it exists.
View attachment 422614

Hmmm,
James
Its also long out of production iirc, as are the Chinese Quest motors, though a few people still have a few squirreled away.

Working on it :)
These are longer than standard but burn about 3.5 seconds.
Best I can do in 18x70 case is about 13 N-s, also with the 3.5 sec burn, about a D4. The long burn uses a lot of delay grain so I'm only able to get a 3 to 4 second delay without making the case longer.

what do you think you would be able to get with no ejection charge? also what propellant

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the D2.3T. It's a reload for the AT 18/20 case. 8.1 second burn. It's meant for gliders, no ejection charge.
The C3.4T and D2.3T are indeed longburn (and still available from AT), but no ejection cabability, building a electronic deployment 18mm rocket would be a feat of building and engineering just to be able to move off the rail, as it couldnt weight more than a few ounces and have enough velocity to be stable, the electronics and battery to power them might just be too much weight. Hopefully some one proves me wrong, however a Mosquito on a D2.3T would be really cool not that the motor case will ever be seen again. 😃

Bear Altiuno SMT as the 7g noseweight in an Apogee Vac-Formed Ogive NC, ASP G10 0.016 elliptical fins.

Should come in a little under 2 oz, and go about 1km in about 15s 0_0

It also helps if you can tell us what the application will be, the D2.3 and C3.4 are not normally available from vendors, though some do carry them.
Oh yeah, I am doing suuuuper small scale tvc, I know people have done it on a d3 and I have much lighter hardware than them. I was planning on using an e6 but would prefer to use an 18mm. My bodytube should be 40mm in diameter and my flight computer is smaller than an arduino nano.

building a electronic deployment 18mm rocket would be a feat of building and engineering just to be able to move off the rail, as it couldnt weight more than a few ounces and have enough velocity to be stable, the electronics and battery to power them might just be too much weight. Hopefully some one proves me wrong
@Leo built a dual-deploy Astron Elliptic II (13mm) so as far as I'm concerned *anything* is possible. ;)

The C3.4T and D2.3T are indeed longburn (and still available from AT), but no ejection cabability, building a electronic deployment 18mm rocket would be a feat of building and engineering just to be able to move off the rail, as it couldnt weight more than a few ounces and have enough velocity to be stable, the electronics and battery to power them might just be too much weight. Hopefully some one proves me wrong, however a Mosquito on a D2.3T would be really cool not that the motor case will ever be seen again. 😃
I plan on trying dual deploy in 18mm. I'll be using a custom 11" long casings though :p

@Leo built a dual-deploy Astron Elliptic II (13mm) so as far as I'm concerned *anything* is possible. ;)
Damn, his is really small for using breakouts. Mine is actually just a liiiitle bit smaller at 18x40mm instead of 18x45mm. Mine is full custom pcbs and smd components with 2 servo outs an inertial measurement unit (bmi088) and barometer (bmp388) with a flash chip for data logging and run by a UBLOX NINA-B306, the same processor as on the arduino nano 33 ble

edit: I do not have any means of deployment on it yet

Oh yeah, I am doing suuuuper small scale tvc, I know people have done it on a d3 and I have much lighter hardware than them. I was planning on using an e6 but would prefer to use an 18mm. My bodytube should be 40mm in diameter and my flight computer is smaller than an arduino nano.
Thank you for that info, its a cool project, good luck.

View attachment 422614

Hmmm,
James

James,

I have to disagree. ;)

The Quest 24mm x 70mm D8 motor is the rarest NAR certified motor ever. It is still on the NAR certified motor list even though only a few made it here from China.
N52 Quest D8-3 Motors.jpg

Thank you for that info, its a cool project, good luck.
Thanks, I might wind up posting my results in the electronics part of the sub. I plan on taking the flight computer up in an estes crossfire once I get the boards from osh park.

WOW, I can't believe I started that project back in 2012! How time flies.
I'm going to up the aunty with the next "record" launch by having altimeter do the staging sequence :)
So are you trying to do 3 pyro outs then? ;)

Back